Northumberland/Scotland

John H

We are thinking of heading north for a couple of weeks at the end of August. We want to visit Holy Island and Alnwick in Northumberland and carry on into Scotland via Edinburgh. We have no firm plans after that so we would be grateful if anyone could suggest any "MUST SEE" places to visit in Northumberland or Scotland. We prefer to stay on decent but not too "OTT" sites. We much prefer a nice view to a clubhouse and a swimming pool. We are members of both clubs, although we haven't used the C&CC yet because of their 2 night at the weekend rule. I suppose the kids will still be off school but we can't always have what we want, can we. I quite like them really,with plenty of tomato ketchup. We look forward to hearing from anyone with information on secret, magical places. (I promise not to tell anyone) Pat & John. :-D

C&CC sites at: Beadnell, - no caravans no electrics - great spot Barns Ness - haven't been for a while - but great spot Nice fishing villages on Fife, and if you are heading further north check out Aberdeenshire Councils sites - excellent value, best imo is Stonehaven. before you get that far, try South Shields municipal site - nice if popular, convenient for early morning strolls along the prom / pier and handy for their version of the A6 curry mile if you like that sort of thing - else get the ferry to North Shields and go for fish n chios at Kristians have fun B-)

There's also the Dunstan Hill C&CC site, walking distance to beach and possibly Dunstanburgh Castle. Also the stunningly located Bamburgh Castle. In Bamburgh village visit the Grace Darling Museum and her tomb in the churchyard. Having learnt about Grace Darling you'll probably want a trip out to the Farne Islands (boat from Seahouses). You can get a tide timetable for Holy Island form the TI office in Seahouses. Bob

Depends how far into Scotland you intend to travel. The CC site at Ledaig, Oban is a great spot, as is the commercial site in Ullapool. The site at Bunchrew, on the Beauly side of Inverness is right on the firth and though it is partly permanent chalet homes which at first sight can be off putting it is very well maintained. If you want to visit Edinburgh the CC Edinburgh site is served by a bus route into the city. If you want to get as far as the very north-west then the site at Durness is excellent. The C&CC site at Poolewe gives access to the almost tropical National Trust Gardens (Gulf Stream effect). All these sites are at the upper end of price range but have superb locations. Dont be put off by talk of Scottish rain or midges. The rain is no worse than anywhere else, you may get it or you may not, and the midges are a local and periodic problem rather than a continuous one. Enjoy your trip.

Try this Caravan Club CL http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/brock-mill-farmhouse/#caravan There are electrics + a wc and it is close to Holy Island. The Grace Darling museum at Bamburgh was closed for refurbishment, when we were up there a month ago and I think it is closed all summer. The Alnwick Garden has to be a "must see". Tug

Be sure to check your weather forecast before you go. I've just returned early from Northumberland because of truly awfull weather. How does 10c and a northeast wind grab you? This was at Berwick upon Tweed. The potential for good touring exists for sure but I did a check this morning on Berwick and it was just 13c at midday. This is Winter with the lights on. You have been warned. Bill Ord

Rosslyn Chapel at Roslin about 3 miles from the City bypass and only 100 yards from Caravan Club Site. It's in the Da Vinci Code Film but has true signs as to the Knights Templars and anyone who likes laying bricks level and square. A must see for anyone who wants to see the world as in Scotland and feel the aura in the stone work. Ask Sean Connery. Good Luck, gordonaldson.

We 'accidently on purpose' stranded ourselves on Holy Island at the end of August a couple of years ago, we were the only ones in the car park and had the most beautiful sunset we've ever seen, it was an absolutely lovely place to spend the night and no-one bothered us, even some of the locals who had come round to watch the sunset didn't bat an eyelid. When we left there wasn't a trace that we'd been there of course. A truly magical place.

Archived