Additional water tank access "hatch" ?

pepe63xnotuse

I've just noticed that there is movement on our freshwater drain tap(...if I try to rotate the tap body,the movement is on the fitting that goes up through the floor,into the base of the tank..Not good!).

At the moment there are no signs of damp or of weeping but it's still something I want to investigate further(..tighten/new washers/re-seal etc)

Unfortunately,the tap/fitting can't be reached via the tank's access cover because it's at the opposite end of the tank and the tank has a large diagonal "cut-out" to fit over the seatbelt anchor points.. !?

Also,the tank seems to be "stuck" into place and isn't shifting anwhere,anytime soon!(...I can see all around the edges and there are no clamp/fixings that I can see..)

So...I'll just need to cut/fit another access cover...

I thought Cak Tanks would sell some form of "retro-fit" access covers but I can only see covers/caps that fit openings that have been formed during production... :-S

I know I could just plonk on a flat cover of sorts(sealant & s/steel srews)but,other than making something totally from scratch,I just wondered if anyone had come across somthing tidier?..possibly something with a drill & taped "base/surround",which could be "bonded" to the tank? :-S

Thanks

Chris

Edit: Just had a quick conversation with a,quite "abrupt" woman at Cak..and she is "adamant" that items 1-2-3 on page 20(Tank section) can be retro-fitted? (cat nos QTH4/THSO4/THSO10)

..Am I mis-reading it?..as I thought that they needed a "screw-in" section,which would need to be formed during production? :-S

Would someone be kind enough to glance at Cak's website and give me their opinion please..?

I've just had a look at CAK website and I find it a bit ambiguous.

The THS04 would 'appear' to be something that can be 'retro ' fitted .

They say it can't be fitted to the side or bottom of a tank so is clearly not watertight, but would appear to do the job if fitted on top.

But : It also says it " can be fitted at time of production " ( so not later ? )

and also " can be fitted to top of almost any tank " ( when a tank is already in the van, or only at time of production ? )

( Not clear to me ).

I wish you luck !

;-)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Malc' ;-)

...it's not very clear,is it..(..and the use of the word "threaded",would imply that it needs the "female" portion of the thread,formed during production...)

Not an issue now,anyhow...as I've ordered an 8in "Deck Plate" through ebay...

....as it's a "marine" item,it's WAAAY OTT! (lol) ...but for the 9 quid inc' delivery,I thought it wasn't worth the messin' about..

This:

http://www.ridethewaves.co.uk/p-830-8-plastic-boat-deck-plate.aspx

When you see the quality of fittings used on boats,it makes you realise just how festooned with,tacky bits of plastic tat,Mhs are!... *-)

Thanks again...

Chris

Just to wrap this up...

I've just received an email from CAK(..in answer to my request for clarification about the above caps/covers)and yes,the items mentioned above CAN be retro fitted....

They suggested THHO4....but as it's £11.24 excluding p&p,the "marine" item is *still* cheaper(just....)

Hopefully that *may* help someone.........

Archived