French Aires and alcohol

tonyclaire

It is, of course, compulsory that wine, preferably French is consumed in quantity at every Aire de Campingcar in France.

It is consumed to help the French wine growers and considered to be bad form if you don't join in.

Driving whilst drunk is not allowed, so lock the keys in the safe and carry on.

Do not forget to use your new alcohol testing kit in the morning, then buy a new one in order to support the French factory who make them.

H

Just come back from a 4 week tour of France, using both Aires and Sites and we never had a problem with anyone. Most people were drinking wine/beer and nothing was said by anyone.

I think I was the only one who drank Tea though!!

Geoff's got it about right Tony (or was it Claire?).

Whatever the letter of the law may be regarding "public highway," I can't imagine any FRENCH police officer taking any interest at all in what was going on inside a parked motorhome, still less launching a prosecution for drinking wine in a place you were clearly staying the night!

We've spent many a pleasant evening on aires (and German Stellplatze for that matter) sharing wine and "pidgin-multilingual" conversation!

Enjoy

Just got back today from 3.5 weeks chugging around mid-France region, using almost all free aires as overnight stops, and can proudly report that we were both p*ssed by about 8pm almost every night.

No problems at all.

They ain't highways so far as I'm aware anyway, but everyone using them is hitting the booze all evening....just look at the empty wine bottle stacks at the Aire bins!

Don't worry. Be happy.

tonyclaire - 2012-07-05 9:48 PM

HI all. Does anyone know if it is ok to have a few glasses of wine or beer whilst staying on aires in France (or spain) ? Are aires considered to be part of the public highway and therefore no alcohol zones for drivers?

Joking aside, I think it's going to depend on the type of 'aire' you choose to stay on.

An "aire de services camping-car" is just a place that's provided where a motorhome can replenish its water tank and empty waste tanks. There may or may not be additional dedicated parking facilities.

I've stayed on aires where the parking can clearly not be considered part of the public highway (eg. on a redeveloped municipal campsite). I've also stayed on plenty of public car-parks that have a motorhome service-point within the parking area, and (occasionally) in a lay-by adjacent to a service-point and linked directly to the highway.

As far as I'm aware there is no specific European law prohibiting motorists from drinking alcohol in (or near) their vehicles - it's the national alcohol limit that matters, not the drinking. So the question really is whether the police have the right to alcohol-test someone in a vehicle (car, lorry, motorhome, etc.) that's static on a public car-park or in a lay-by. If you believe that the police would have the right to alchohol-test a driver if he/she were driving a moving vehicle on a public car-park or on a lay-by, then it's not unreasonable to assume they would also have the right to test if the vehicle were static on a public car-park or lay-by and they suspected that the person in charge of the vehicle (car, lorry, motorhome, etc.) were over the national drink-driving limit.

I fully accept that serious evening alcohol-drinking on aires is commonplace, and I've never heard of a motorcaravanner being fined (or even checked) for being 'drunk in charge' when static on a publicly accessible parking area. But, even if it's a good bet that the French police won't bother with motorhomes parked in places that are likely to be considered legally part of the public highway as far as drinking offences are concerned, that doesn't mean they can't.

Unlike Tony Jones, I've no trouble imagining French police taking an interest in the boozed-up state of motorcaravanners parked on public car-parks, though (as I'm not averse to a few glasses of wine with my in-motorhome meals) I'm prepared to risk that they won't.

BGD - 2012-07-06 12:37 AM

Just got back today from 3.5 weeks chugging around mid-France region, using almost all free aires as overnight stops, and can proudly report that we were both p*ssed by about 8pm almost every night.

love it (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-07-06 10:18 AM

If downing a few bottles of the local plonk,I'd be more concerned about the blood/alcohol levels the following day....? :-S

That's why its best to be p*ssed by 8 pm ;-)..................It gives you longer to recover :D

I agree with the majority of opinions expressed already.

I’ve always worked on the principle that an aire (with parking) is an officially recognised place for motorhomers to stay overnight. So have had no qualms about drinking a beer/wine or three – especially if we do not intend moving on the next morning. However I never indulge if we are overnighting ‘unofficially’. The chances of being asked to move on, especially in France, may be small but I’d rather be sure that I was alcohol free.

Cattwg :-D

Clive - 2012-07-06 3:43 PM

Take the key out of the ignition and put it away in a cupboard so that if challenged you can demonstrate that you had no intention of driving.

C.

Or have someone with you who is tea-total and can drive it if needs be! :-D

I wonder how long it will be before the cops sit at the exit of the overnight aires each morning, waiting to 'pull' motorhomes as they exit still over the legal limit ... could be a nice little earner for them! 8-)

I wish some common sense would prevail. I am in a lovely little aires in Cleres, France. It's about 50m off main road and segregated into little bays. Walk through village suggested it is a deserted and have not even seen a policeman. Am I worried about Mr Plod coming and breathalising me, absolutely no chance.

Am I going to drive tomorrow under the influence, same response , absolutely no chance.

If you are going to stay on aires and worry that Mr Plod is out to catch you then just stay at home. We are in a real world and we are not targets.

Mde Mel B

Les anglais vous drink tres beaucoup.

With l’Euro crisis et nous problems economatique, mercy pour votre suggestion how to solve nous difficulties. Merci bein, je stationament l’automobiles gendarmerie a tous les aires le matin. et empty les anglais pockets of l;Euro.

Inspector Cluesoe - de le gendarmerie touriste

Pardone moi pour mais fronglais.

• 1 month later...

It's a good idea to take the key out of the ignition each time you leave the driver's seat, as it makes it impossible for someone else to hop in and drive off. A garage attendant in the UK jumped into my car without so much as a by your leave and moved it while I was paying the bill. Seems he wanted to clear space for the next customer. I don't leave my keys in the ignition any more.

I also rotate my driver's seat as a reminder that I have turned on the gas. The combination of no keys in the ignition and a rotated driver's seat (plus blinds down, table up etc) should go some way to demonstrating that you have no immediate plans to drive. But who can predict what a foreign policeman will think?

Mel B - 2012-07-06 8:52 PM

Clive - 2012-07-06 3:43 PM

Take the key out of the ignition and put it away in a cupboard so that if challenged you can demonstrate that you had no intention of driving.

C.

Or have someone with you who is tea-total and can drive it if needs be! :-D

I wonder how long it will be before the cops sit at the exit of the overnight aires each morning, waiting to 'pull' motorhomes as they exit still over the legal limit ... could be a nice little earner for them! 8-)

Mrs ips is tea total (well has the occasional glass and I meen glass of wine) so I have to drink for two. :-D life really is a bitch

You are unlikely to be breathalysed on any Parking if you are obviously overnighting. That being said the Gendarmes are able to carry out breath tests on any space open to the public. They have been known to follow an erratic driver onto a Supermarché Parking and carry out a test there. Being in a state of 'Ivresse' is a crime in France so although you are not driving, loud or obnoxious behaviour would provide you with an interesting introduction into the French legal system ;-) 

Do remember that the French limit is lower than in UK, so the morning after risk is enhanced.

Bear in mind also the obligation to carry an ethylotest in your van, and to have used it if there is any doubt.

It is only the fine for non-compliance that has been delayed until November - to give everyone a chance to get equipped - not the obligation to carry, and if in doubt use, the tester.

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-09 3:34 PM

... to carry an ethylotest in your van, and to have used it if there is any doubt.

... carry, and if in doubt use, the tester.

In the references I've read to the new law (admittedly only English translations and interpetations) I've not seen any requirement about actually USING the compulsory breathalyser. Is there something that says that Brian?

Back to OP - during this trip, we spent an interesting evening on one village Aire with a German couple who drink Pastis late into the evening, AFTER their meal. We joined in, in a spirit of European friendship, but they were quite surprised when we said we normally only use it as an aperitif!

French MHers nearby were of course polishing off the wine from dinner, or had moved on to "digestifs," and no-one seemd unduly concerned about alcohol levels!

sshortcircuit - 2012-07-06 10:17 PMI wish some common sense would prevail. I am in a lovely little aires in Cleres, France. It's about 50m off main road and segregated into little bays. Walk through village suggested it is a deserted and have not even seen a policeman. Am I worried about Mr Plod coming and breathalising me, absolutely no chance. Am I going to drive tomorrow under the influence, same response , absolutely no chance.If you are going to stay on aires and worry that Mr Plod is out to catch you then just stay at home. We are in a real world and we are not targets.
 If you are at Cleres you really should not leave without a visit to the Bird and Wildlife park and Château in the Village, you need all day as it  is a great place to visit, super town too isn't it.

Tony Jones - 2012-08-09 5:06 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-09 3:34 PM

... to carry an ethylotest in your van, and to have used it if there is any doubt.

... carry, and if in doubt use, the tester.

In the references I've read to the new law (admittedly only English translations and interpetations) I've not seen any requirement about actually USING the compulsory breathalyser. Is there something that says that Brian?..........................

Just my logic, Tony. If you have been drinking, the expectation is you will test yourself before driving. That is why you have to carry the testers. Why else?

If you have been drinking and have not used a tester, and are subsequently stopped and breathalysed, they presumably throw the the book at you.

If you used the tester, and it showed positive, and you still drove, they presumably throw the book and the breathalyser at you!

If you threw the positive tester away, I assume they treated that in the same way as if you had no tester, as an admission you knew what you were doing, and they send you to the Foreign Legion! :-)

I assume that if you used it and it showed negative, but you subsequently test positive, that is taken in mitigation.

That is my logic. There will be a logic behind the introduction of the law: it is a French law, and the French are very logical.

Archived