Garmin problem

John.N

In order to update my Nuvi satnav I have been trying to access the garmin.com website but without success. Has anybody else experienced such a difficulty? I wonder if their site is down temporarily. I would be very grateful if someone would try to contact them and let me know the result. I do not have any problems accessing other sites so I don't think that the fault is with my computer or operator error.

Never had a problem getting on to the site, but when I have tried to update maps i get a message to say that my internet connection is not fast enough.

Contacted Garmin to see if they could help ie have to unit back and updagte the maps for me, gthey said it was not possible as they have no means to do it.

So where do they get the maps installed then?

Ouch that submission did not work! I have had that problem before and found out that it was the browser that I was using - Opera does not support garmin (or the other way round) I changed to firefox and lo and behold the garmin site worked and I was able to upload my new updates. (Nevertheless I am still in a quandary about what to do with speed camera information updates because although I bought a new garmin at the begining of this month I believe I still have camera alerts for France). Hope this is of some help.

Garmin now offers a Cyclops "Dangerous Zones" download for France

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=287&pID=68100

If your contract with Garmin provides you with free Cyclops updates, then I'd expect these to be based in future on the Dangerous Zones format where France is concerned. I'm certain that Garmin won't be offering downloads in the old 'speed camera' format as these would now contravene French motoring regulations.

Ask Garmin UK about this - they seem to be pretty helpful provided that the question has no ambiguity.

David Dwight - 2012-07-09 9:52 PM

Never had a problem getting on to the site, but when I have tried to update maps i get a message to say that my internet connection is not fast enough.

Contacted Garmin to see if they could help ie have to unit back and updagte the maps for me, gthey said it was not possible as they have no means to do it.

So where do they get the maps installed then?

I live out in the sticks in France and my broadband connection was less than half a MB and I never had a problem downloading updates to both my garmin units although the updates took up to 18 HOURS each!!! 8-) So can't see why you have a problem!

Since changing to Satellite broadband they take about 45 minutes to download. Result.

When you do manage to access the Garmin web site you'll find that it must the worst designed site in the entire world!!!!

After much effort you will be able to find the page that enables map updates and provided you have paid you can then start updating maps but it can take a very long time, on my connection it took about four hours so don't think it will be a five minute job, it ain't.

Of course Garmin do NOT tell you this!!!!

Thank you all for your replies but I am no further forward. Does anyone know of a telephone number where I can make contact with a responsible human garmin? (It sounds like an ET. Perhaps that is the problem!)

Guest ChrisB

When I had a problem it was resolved via emails - but the number on bottom of the customer support email is 0808 238 0000

Worth a try as it's free?

John.N - 2012-07-08 8:32 AM

In order to update my Nuvi satnav I have been trying to access the garmin.com website but without success. Has anybody else experienced such a difficulty? I wonder if their site is down temporarily. I would be very grateful if someone would try to contact them and let me know the result. I do not have any problems accessing other sites so I don't think that the fault is with my computer or operator error.

Doesn't seem to be a general problem. Try following this link, and see if that works: http://tinyurl.com/luqba4

Archived