Wildcamping - does it exist?

plinkplonk321

Guest JudgeMental

"Tight wad brits" why dont you go there permanently if its so idyllic and your countrymen so awful. I would hang the pair of you publicly, as to many comment like this...... TRAITORS!

Been at this many a year and it the the miserable FRENCH idiots who scurry of, be it early morning or in the evening, whatever it takes to avoid the collections.. *-)

the only place I have seen UK vans do this was in Le Toquet aire...who taught them this trick I wonder not...

I was astonished when one couple laughed and said we are away! before the collection. Would have happily strung them up also :-S

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
sambukashot - 2012-07-13 5:27 PM

The term "wildcamping" should be called "wildparking" if you are using your motorhome or campervan, wildcamping refers to the use of tents

Thank you

Keith

I know.....But aren't they devilishly wild and free! :D

sambukashot - 2012-07-13 5:27 PM

The term "wildcamping" should be called "wildparking" if you are using your motorhome or campervan, wildcamping refers to the use of tents

Thank you

Keith

Don't agree! :-) "billet, bivouac, camp, cantonment, dormitory, encampment, enclosure, garrison, headquarters, hut, prefab, quarters, tent". Original use military. Refers to activity, not to type of accommodation. Could be anything from just a sleeping bag under the stars up to a 40' RV. Besides all of which, Kenneth Williams would have had a ball with one word that united "wild" and "camp"! :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-07-13 5:28 PM

"Tight wad brits" why dont you go there permanently if its so idyllic and your countrymen so awful. I would hang the pair of you publicly, as to many comment like this...... TRAITORS!

Been at this many a year and it the the miserable FRENCH idiots who scurry of, be it early morning or in the evening, whatever it takes to avoid the collections.. *-)

the only place I have seen UK vans do this was in Le Toquet aire...who taught them this trick I wonder not...

I was astonished when one couple laughed and said we are away! before the collection. Would have happily strung them up also :-S

I noticed this at Boulogne last year all the Brits stayed & paid their 5€, at least 30% of the French did a runner. I paid even though it increased my 3 week total camping bill by 40%.

I am not expecting you to believe anything. I did not call anyone a cheapskate, nor did I generalise. I said SOME people are misers. If I had wanted to generalise, I would have said ALL people are misers! Perhaps you should read messages more carefully before wading in with your opinion!

Pam

You are a little out of date Eddie. On many of the newer/larger aires payment is by credit card which opens the barrier, so no going early/late to avoid payment. Interestingly on the last five of these we have been on almost all French vans; some Brits did turn up but when saw the charging system drove away. In conversation with some of the French vanners they indicated they were pleased with these systems and level of payment (10 € or more/night) as almost assured spaces available and good facilities.

If you want more evidence of "tightwad" Brits go to Gravelines. Notice the number of British vans who refuse to buy a ticket for 6€ and are proud to say so! Yes, they say machine does not work etc. (It does just need to push card right in)

Of course there are vanners from all countries who avoid payment and do the rest of us no favours but we have seen many Brits who do this and hence stick with our "tightwad" notion. As to living in France full-time then if not for our children and grandchildren we would; Have you had any more thoughts of living in Benidorm full-time? Sure it would be just right for you.

robertandjean - 2012-07-14 5:57 PM

You are a little out of date Eddie. On many of the newer/larger aires payment is by credit card which opens the barrier, so no going early/late to avoid payment. Interestingly on the last five of these we have been on almost all French vans; some Brits did turn up but when saw the charging system drove away. In conversation with some of the French vanners they indicated they were pleased with these systems and level of payment (10 € or more/night) as almost assured spaces available and good facilities.

If you want more evidence of "tightwad" Brits go to Gravelines. Notice the number of British vans who refuse to buy a ticket for 6€ and are proud to say so! Yes, they say machine does not work etc. (It does just need to push card right in)

Of course there are vanners from all countries who avoid payment and do the rest of us no favours but we have seen many Brits who do this and hence stick with our "tightwad" notion. As to living in France full-time then if not for our children and grandchildren we would; Have you had any more thoughts of living in Benidorm full-time? Sure it would be just right for you.

Not often I disagree with you but do here, with Eddie on this. I use about one third aires two thirds sites these days and one thing is very noticeable. The French are the worst for paying, leave early on aires, take your point about barriers but these are still rare, and will park up anywhere to save a euro. On sites they are rarely to be seen because they will not pay. I have to say due to your efforts I have used aires more than ever but for 10euro would not bother a decent ACSI site is only 12 euro. If this price is a general trend then sites will become more used so hope it is not.

Mentioned wild camping to GF's sister today, she can't understand how anyone could call parking up in a campervan wildcamping, but then she likes to hike around Nepal and up to Everest base camp and the like, such things as toilets and showers are few and far between, it's usualy nip behind a rock.

FRANKP60 - 2012-07-09 4:35 PM

It is possible to wild camp ,but never done it ,was parked in Council car park free no height barrier Saturday pm .......................

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, because it's so divisive; Free-Camping, Aire-Camping, etc.

I'm hoping to visit Norway, Sweden and Finland some time soon, and I'd read about some of the wilderness areas in those countries......... it sounded very attractive for real Wild-Camping, for the enjoyment of the landscape and the wildlife........

Until I read another article, I think Wiki something, which explained the rights of citizens to walk and camp almost anywhere for one or two nights, provided that they behave as local custom expects. Sounded great, until I read further and read that this does not apply to motorhomes/campervans, just tents, and I can understand that it would be very difficult to leave the place as it was before I arrived in a 3.5Tonne camper. So I'll still go to these countries, but I'll not Wild-Camp, unless I can do it somewhere with a landowner's permission.

So it'll be campsites and Aires and the equivalent in other countries; but it won't be Wild-Camping; that's something special!

alan b

Wildcamping - does it exist?

For us the term interprets as overnighting in a place other than a site designated for overnighting, and without getting further into the dull semantics game, I'd say so. We've spent hundreds of nights out in tents and various 'vans in the UK, all over mainland Europe, and beyond.

If you are respectful and mindful of your potential impact on others and the wider environment then it's a fantastic way to travel with spontaneity and freedom.

For us it's nothing to do with cash but everything to do with being exactly where we'd prefer to be, and not surrounded by other people in white boxes and all that that can mean.

We don't always get it right but have only ever had to move twice after we'd gone to bed (in England and Austria) and only been asked to move maybe half a dozen times (in France and Spain). If asked to move we just apologise and move.

Our style of travel means we do, however, move on nearly every day and have only very rarely stayed in the same place for two nights on the trot. If we were to make a habit of staying for a few days at a time I'd be concerned we might be impacting on the perceptions of others.

It aint what you do it's the way that you do it.

colin - 2012-07-14 10:36 PMMentioned wild camping to GF's sister today, she can't understand how anyone could call parking up in a campervan wildcamping, but then she likes to hike around Nepal and up to Everest base camp and the like, such things as toilets and showers are few and far between, it's usualy nip behind a rock.

Funny that, as I'd very definitely contend we've spent nights camped in the 'van in much wilder places than the middle-class infested, rubbish-strewn, quasi adventurous highway up to Everest base camp.

Guest JudgeMental

the only place I have seen UK vans do this was in Le Toquet aire...who taught them this trick I wonder not... I was astonished when one couple laughed and said we are away! before the collection. Would have happily strung them up also :-S

Have you had any more thoughts of living in Benidorm full-time? Sure it would be just right for you.

Excuse me? I have been to Benidorm once? And a typically clueless and ignorant response from the most boring, one dimensional pair on here.... The real reason you wont move there is that you are a pair of tight wad brits yourselves!lol

The reality is the French wound absolutely hammer you with property taxes etc..etc.... So you just trundle around that miserable country sponging of them :D

edit: and I see Dereks had a bad night lurking round the dogging car parks..or was he looking for UK aires

rupert123 - 2012-07-14 6:32 PM

Not often I disagree with you but do here, with Eddie on this. I use about one third aires two thirds sites these days and one thing is very noticeable. The French are the worst for paying, leave early on aires, take your point about barriers but these are still rare, and will park up anywhere to save a euro. On sites they are rarely to be seen because they will not pay. I have to say due to your efforts I have used aires more than ever but for 10euro would not bother a decent ACSI site is only 12 euro. If this price is a general trend then sites will become more used so hope it is not.

Take your point Rupert and yes of course some French vanners are adverse to paying, but there are also many Brits just as bad. But maybe have come over as a bit too anti-Brit so sorry about that. Happy to take on others points of view when point is expressed in a proper way as you have.

On really nice aire at moment at Ange (Dept 41). On special area next to village with open views and electric hook-ups; these and parking are free with water 2€. So no worries re avoiding payment! Village is a nice with good walks possible. A horse drawn wagon does village tours three days a week, whilst the local wine producer visits! Recent rain means ground a bit wet (yes it does rain in France!!) but forcast for Loire for rest week is sunny and hot. Hope weather in U.K. improves soon

ips - 2012-07-13 12:29 PM

Wild camping is available at our CS. We will turn the water tap off, padlock the chemical disposal point and drive around your van with loud music on at 1am. The charge for this service is £6pn ...........or you can have the facilities re-instated and a quiet relaxing night for the same price. The choice is yours. :-D

Really funny!

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2012-07-15 11:53 AM

ips - 2012-07-13 12:29 PM

Wild camping is available at our CS. We will turn the water tap off, padlock the chemical disposal point and drive around your van with loud music on at 1am. The charge for this service is £6pn ...........or you can have the facilities re-instated and a quiet relaxing night for the same price. The choice is yours. :-D

Really funny!

Indeed! :D

crinklystarfish - 2012-07-15 9:01 AM
colin - 2012-07-14 10:36 PMMentioned wild camping to GF's sister today, she can't understand how anyone could call parking up in a campervan wildcamping, but then she likes to hike around Nepal and up to Everest base camp and the like, such things as toilets and showers are few and far between, it's usualy nip behind a rock.

Funny that, as I'd very definitely contend we've spent nights camped in the 'van in much wilder places than the middle-class infested, rubbish-strewn, quasi adventurous highway up to Everest base camp.
Wow she's now middle class! I'll have to let her know, was only back in the late 80's that she first moved into a house and much to her 'pleasure' it had a indoor and flushing loo. :D

JudgeMental - 2012-07-15 9:02 AM

the only place I have seen UK vans do this was in Le Toquet aire...who taught them this trick I wonder not... I was astonished when one couple laughed and said we are away! before the collection. Would have happily strung them up also :-S

Have you had any more thoughts of living in Benidorm full-time? Sure it would be just right for you.

Excuse me? I have been to Benidorm once? And a typically clueless and ignorant response from the most boring, one dimensional pair on here.... The real reason you wont move there is that you are a pair of tight wad brits yourselves!lol

The reality is the French wound absolutely hammer you with property taxes etc..etc.... So you just trundle around that miserable country sponging of them :D

edit: and I see Dereks had a bad night lurking round the dogging car parks..or was he looking for UK aires

If this is the best you can do then you really are not worth responding to. Derek sums you up just right, well said that man.

Eddie, on second thoughts not happy with our last reply. We clearly have different views about France, the French and aires but that does not mean we can not engage in a bit of banter and still respect each others views. Clearly our core positions will not change but we are always open to different views and happy to aknowledge a good point or a helpful suggestion.

snowie - 2012-07-14 11:42 PM

Ref : Norway / Sweden / Finland

So I'll still go to these countries, but I'll not Wild-Camp, unless I can do it somewhere with a landowner's permission.

alan b

Hi Alan

' Wild camping' is not encouraged in southern Norway ( or Sweden ) but if you venture north there are plenty of places to stop, in fabulous scenery.

I doubt very much if you would ever manage to get the landwners permission though, because it's highly unlikely you would ever find out who they are.

In fact it's unlikely that you will find many people at all.

;-)

malc d - 2012-07-15 5:10 PM

snowie - 2012-07-14 11:42 PM

Ref : Norway / Sweden / Finland

So I'll still go to these countries, but I'll not Wild-Camp, unless I can do it somewhere with a landowner's permission.

alan b

Hi Alan

' Wild camping' is not encouraged in southern Norway ( or Sweden ) but if you venture north there are plenty of places to stop, in fabulous scenery.

I doubt very much if you would ever manage to get the landwners permission though, because it's highly unlikely you would ever find out who they are.

In fact it's unlikely that you will find many people at all.

;-)

Point taken; and that's encouraging. Never having been in a particularly remote place, it's difficult to envisage the sort of place we are talking about, but it doesn't have hookup and chemical disposal facilities! And whilst it can probably be classed as "Free-camping" it carries with it substantial responsibilities.

cheers,

alan b

snowie - 2012-07-15 5:42 PM

)

Point taken; and that's encouraging. Never having been in a particularly remote place, it's difficult to envisage the sort of place we are talking about, but it doesn't have hookup and chemical disposal facilities! And whilst it can probably be classed as "Free-camping" it carries with it substantial responsibilities.

cheers,

alan b

When we were up there we found the occasional campsite with ' dumping ' facilities so there was no problem.

Also I recall that one or two garages / filling stations had waste disposal points.

snowie - 2012-07-15 5:42 PM Point taken; and that's encouraging. Never having been in a particularly remote place, it's difficult to envisage the sort of place we are talking about, but it doesn't have hookup and chemical disposal facilities! And whilst it can probably be classed as "Free-camping" it carries with it substantial responsibilities.cheers,alan b

It looks a bit like the image. This was a pretty typical Norwegian overnighting spot and we didn't see or hear any sign of human life at this one between about 8.00pm and 10.00am. If you get off the major highways and dig about a bit, it's not difficult. Dead-end roads are often a winner. As long as you are responsible and considerate nobody bats an eyelid. Up on 'the tops' the Norwegians abandon their cars all over the place and go walking / wildcamping for days on end. Sweden and Finland are just as easy, Denmark less so.

As always, if someone does find you and shows the slightest sign of disapproval, just be polite and move.

1934088443_NorwaySweden08405(Custom).jpg.caaa445aebc488da93f21b0a29a3e32d.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
robertandjean - 2012-07-15 4:03 PM

Eddie, on second thoughts not happy with our last reply. We clearly have different views about France, the French and aires but that does not mean we can not engage in a bit of banter and still respect each others views. Clearly our core positions will not change but we are always open to different views and happy to aknowledge a good point or a helpful suggestion.

That is fine, don't dwell on it... sticks and stones:-D . Dwerek has revealed his true self, and no surprises there....

Archived