Wildcamping - does it exist?

plinkplonk321

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
old grey mare - 2012-08-05 5:00 PM

We take possesion of a 'new' van tomorrow, we may have to long term/ full time due to our house buy looking a bit iffy, wild camping? full timing? we need advice as we have no UK address. Any ideas? :-D (lol)

Welcome to the forum

I suggest you use the search facility ( Search our Forums ) at the top of the page.

Type in " Full timing " and a date limit of 1 year.

You will find lots of views on full timing as is often comes up as a subject.

Best of luck with your new lifestyle !

;-)

Well I don't know what 'plinkplonk321' must think of this forum; being new to our 'hobby/lifestyle' they ask a reasonable question only to find bickering & 'in-fighting' between those who enjoy a quiet lifestyle at one with nature & those who think these people are 'cheapskates/scroungers/paydodgers' & little more than lowlife. Why can't we all live out our personal lifestyles enjoying our motorhomes in the way that suits us best without bickering?

I've been motorhoming now for over fourteen years, mainly in the UK but a couple of trips to France. We tend to spend around four to five months of the year travelling & I can count on one hand the number of times we have been on site; moreover I would say we have stayed on car parks &/or laybyes on even fewer occassions. There are some beautiful quiet spots throughout this beautiful island of ours & we much prefer to wake up to views of our countryside than wake up surrounded by other vehicles/tents/caravans. We are not 'standoffish' - quite the opposite, we have played a part in a number of local activities, we always stop to chat with other motorhomers & share a cuppa & our stories. We buy local ensuring that our pounds (£'s) are spread where we tend to overnight. We also 'litter pick' (& collect 'doggy bags that havve been left hanging on trees or wire fences - don't get me started on that one!) as we hate to see our countryside being spoilt by a mindless few. I help to run a small forum for people who own similar motorhomes to our own & again like to pass on our experiences to new-comers.

I'm with Crinklystarfish on this one. Each to their own - I will send a PM to 'plinkplonk321' to hopefully answer some of their queries 'off forum' which will be more beneficial to them than ploughing through this thread reading posts that are of little benefit to them.

Tony Jones - 2012-07-08 8:45 PM

I'm sitting in the van on Dover seafront right now, where we'll stay the night before getting the 8.25am P&O. Does that count as wild camping?

If not, how about the fact that for the next three weeks we've budgetted exactly ZERO for campsite fees - the odd few Euros for some Aires, and possibly one or two nights on sites, will come out of our spending money budget!

In the event, we did indeed spend money. 2 nights on a site @ €8pn, 3 nights on "paying" aires also €8pn so in our 3 weeks we spent €40 on "accommodation."

The rest of our holiday budget still got spent, as always, but on other things, not on campsite facilities we've already bought for ourselves!

Oh, and when we returned, spent our 1st night back in England at Nell's Café, truckstop on the A2 near Gravesend. Free parking and highly recommended - if not exactly "wild," as full English breakfast was available in the morning!

• 4 weeks later...

As I've said on here umpteen times before, we have a budget for every holiday, and we ALWAYS spend every penny of it.

IF we're typical, then councils in tourist areas (like Cornwall) have to ask themselves: "Do we want these people to spend their money on campsite fees, or on the many other attractions we have to offer?"

They need to take account of the positive effect we all have on the whole range of buysinesses in their areas, not just the bleatings of a few campsite owners. Because I for one WON'T be going to an area where we don't feel welcome, so those campstie owners won't benefit even if they get their way - it just means other businesses and attractions will lose out.

BtW, we're away again soon, UK this time, for 6 nights - 4 on a CS in Dorset, 2 at "Truckstops." Yummy - looking forward to those breakfasts!

You can find UK Truckstops here, some are pricey but many are free:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1086146761&r.i=1086021742&r.l1=1081597476&r.l2=1082103262&r.l3=1084755678&r.l4=1086021696&r.t=RESOURCES&type=CAMPAIGN

• 2 weeks later...

Not been on for a bit. Busy finding wild spots around Europe

For the OP if hes still around.

Over the last four years our overnight costs are roughly as follows

Mainland Europe - average price for overnighting including all services £3.50

UK inc services etc - £7

This is spending half our lives in the van.

Generally we look for wild spots like these taken a couple of weeks ago in the French Alps

However I am not a cheapskate and think nothing of spending £50 on a French market on decent cheese and booze. I just hate campsites!

1746389693_wildingserreponcon.JPG.9a2f83b4556d44f9d1e6d85d81362475.JPG

Barryd999 - 2012-09-05 10:45 PM

However I am not a cheapskate and think nothing of spending £50 on a French market on decent cheese and booze. I just hate campsites!

Agree rather spent cash on food & wine.

Last year was a bit expensive in France spent 20€ on 22 nights camping :D

And one from the Massif Central

1442141680_P1040870sm.jpg.4eb43994e05c96a02156995b4c832ccd.jpg

I have been making a map of wildparking spots for a while now, you can view what i have added to the map so far here:

http://www.fulltiming.org/index.php/motorhome-camperstops-europe/all-wildcamping-motorhome-stopovers#!/catid=27;30;4;26;29;24;22;18;14;17

If you have any good spots and would like to add them just sign up and get stuck in! it's easy to do and helps others who are into wildcamping

Thanks again

Keith

lennyhb - 2012-09-06 9:46 AM

Barryd999 - 2012-09-05 10:45 PM

Agree rather spent cash on food & wine.

Last year was a bit expensive in France spent 20€ on 22 nights camping :D

And one from the Massif Central

(lol) (lol)

Will be up in the Massif Central tomorrow.

Currently not far from the med wilding next to Lake Salagou near Clermont L'Herault. Picture taken an hour ago from the van attached. It might look idilic but just to the right about 100 yards away is a self built with a genny going. Its not too loud but loud enough to start getting ANNOYING!

Place is full of hippies. Reminds me of my Glastonbury days! :-D

10995581_sagalousunset(Small).JPG.88453f71aecbb2f4668f38e3a479f8e1.JPG

Archived