front doors flexing and whistling

anthony

i am sure i can't be the only motorhome owner who suffers from their front doors flexing at the top in windy conditions and when traveling on the motorways which results in a whistling coming from around the doors i wondered if wind deflectors would help?, but before buying some as anyone else overcome this problem with these or anything else that cured the problem i would be gratefull for any help in resolving the problem

I think this sounds like the Ducato fluttering door syndrome which many of us suffer from. It may be possible to have the doors adjusted but it may not completely cure the problem. The only other remedy is to slow down a little. Colin

Sounds to me like you need to do some aero work to develope a cure then patent it, could be a good seller. :-> If it wern't for the fact that I've got my eye on a master/morvano base for next van I'd buy a pug and have a go myself. :D

It's been around for years, we tried a bit of muscle on one door and it improved slightly. We now have a Timberland panel van and we have no noise at all. It was on coachbuilts that we had most noise, maybe something to do with the cab doorsways getting distorted when they cut the back of the chassis cab off. Just a thought. Don

The problem occurs because of low pressure above and behind the doors which is caused by the curve of the coach built section joining the cab section. It needs an aero dynamic solution to remove the low pressure area which would mean either making the coach built section narrower or increasing the width of the cab section. Probably not a real world solution but slowing down does help. Bill Ord

• 1 month later...
I fitted the wind deflectors before going off on a 3,500 mile trip on the Continent. They did not seem to make any noticable difference to the cab door opening at the top, but they did reduce the noise and to a certain amount, the draft, so they are worth fitting. Brian

• 2 weeks later...
I used some self adhesive draught proof material 20mm wide x 6mm thick on the door seal above the window, it was a bit "suck it and see" to get the position just right which worked well until I could get the vehicle into Fiat. They adjusted the doors and it's fine now at any speed. Howard

Yes, we had this problem initally on our Rapido 710F, but peristance paid dividends, and eventually Fiat adjusted them and now most of the time tray are OK. In very strong cross winds we dod get some noise which seems to go across the van underneath, but I think this may be from the ventialtors in the door, and not the door movement. keep on at the dealer to get it sorted.

Archived