EC500 solar charging fault

gill

We've been having problems getting our solar panel to charge the motorhome (Autotrail Savannah/Fiat Ducato) vehicle battery. Having looked at the displays I think that the solar panel is working and our dealer has replaced the solar panel regulator but still no charge is reaching the vehicle battery. My best guess is that the relays in the EC500 which direct the charge to the batteries don't operate properly especially when set to 'smart'. The display shows that the panel should be charging the vehicle battery but the voltage clearly shows this is not actually getting through. By changing the system from 'smart' charging to 'vehicle' we can sometimes get a charge but that's not any good when we want to keep both batteries topped up while on site or in storage.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Steve & Gill

Hi Steve & Gill

Your Autotrail is fitted with the Sargents Control Panel & they are very good responding to problems.

They also have info on the EC500 on their website.

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Categories/Self_Help

(scroll to bottom of the page)

If that doesn't answer your query, give them a ring or e-mail via their website.

Thanks, we had heard that they're good in this respect, and we're already in touch with our dealer who have spoken to Sargent. So far the work hasn't made any difference (changing the solar charge regulator).

The website has limited info on the EC500 unit so that's not much help - beyond basic operation - and we wondered if this was something that had happened to others before taking the matter further.

Hi Gill/Steve

I too have a Savannah.

It took me sometime to work out the charging.My smart charging seems to work differently to yours.

When on solar/smart and off hook-up mine is always switched to vehicle battery charging, and never seems to swich over to lesiure charging. This isn't so smart when you are camping off hook-up.

I tend to assume it is a manual system, and as I do'nt need to charge the batteries in storage as I have mains leave the charging on L for when we are off hook-up on holiday. But check that the V volts are ok at odd times, and switch over if needed.

I sorry I cannot help with the fault

Best of luck

HWO

Hi HWO, I assume you also have the EC500 control unit rather than the EC325 which was fitted to the earlier Savannahs.

I've today been talking to the technical support team at Sargent who I understand are producing a software update for the EC500 that is designed to solve a number of problems including some problems with the solar charging and also the lounge light dimmer which occasionally "freezes".

I'm told that when on smart the software will decide which battery needs the charge most and will charge that battery for 4 hours, then review the situation again. However, there is a known fault where the display suggests that no charge is going to the vehicle battery when in fact it is. (i.e. the exact opposite of our problem!)

The update should solve the known problems (and ours we hope). It should be available to dealers later in August. It may pay you to get this installed.

Having chatted at length its been agreed that we will visit their HQ so that they can investigate what is going on, instal the new software and check all is well. If you can't get anything sorted via your dealer, then I suggest it may pay you to talk to Sargent's technical services dept yourself. I found them very helpful.

Hi

Thanks for that Gill.

I have that fault with the lights at odd times, but thought it was just me loosing the plot after too much wine in the evening.

Will get on to the dealer later in the year.

Thanks

HWO

Archived