European Breakdown Insurance again

Geoff Bell

Well I spent the best part of yesterday trying to get stand alone european breakdown cover as my current insurers Caravanwise/NIG don't do it. I feel I should pass on my experience to others. My main problem was 7metres long and 3850kg gross.Nobody wanted to know unless I was insured with them except caravan club who quoted £92 for 1 weeks cover. So what did I do? I cancelled my current cover and re-insured with Safeguard who were so helpful and with UK and Europe cover for 12 months for £60 more than what I was paying with caravanwise with no breakdown cover at all.So a lesson learnt as it cost me £100.00 to cancell 2 months into my policy.

Hi Geoff, We have used Safeguard for M/home insurance for the last 6 years. So far we have been very please we also have there personal travel insurance. We had to use the Breakdown cover two years ago, everything sorted in an hour, vehicle picked up, on our way to Hotel hire car arranged for next morning, being Sunday we broke down, oh we were taken to a restaurant for lunch from the scene of breakdown then by taxi to the Hotel, Four days in Hotel only had to pay for dinner two nights all phone calls charged to recovery. We had to have the water pump replaced, Timing belt followers etc. Total bill £400. even my local friendly garage chap said he couldnt do it for that. David

Hi David, Sounds like you were treated very well. It can be a very a stressfull time and the last thing you need is agro from the recovery people. Which company carried out the recovery. I've been extremely lucky never having to call for assistance once in 35 years of travel on the continent. Don

Hi Don, Safegaurd use the AA, well the AA agents in France. Yes the Recovery was great, the guy who put the vehicle up on the transporter, realised that we had a towbar, he immediatley scouted around and found some off cuts of timer to raise the vehicle up as it was being loaded, so as not to catch the tow bar. Having had the hire car we actualy went to little places that we would not have gone with the M/home. We were in the Auvergne at the time. Dont think much of Clearmont Ferand though, took us ages to find our way through the city. Every other building was Michelin. It was interesting watching the cars going round the Michelin test track. Going back one day just so that we can drive to the top of the Puy de Dom. David

Shield Total Insurance offers a Europ Assistance-based stand-alone annual multi-trip UK/European breakdown policy that covers motorhomes up to 15 years old and up to 8m long, 3.5m high, 2.5m wide and 4250kg overall weight. See www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk for more info. Fortunately I can't tell you how well it works in practice, but I thought the premiums were very competitive when I bought my policy.

Archived