Wealthy pensioners to pick up the tab for bankers folly

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-07-10 7:51 PM

It'll be me and Francis keeping the rest of you, then. ;-)

Don't think we're not grateful Robin :D...................I'll drink to your efforts ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-07-10 8:00 PM

Don't think we're not grateful Robin :D...................I'll drink to your efforts ;-)

........yerrr, but I was told you would drink to anything! B-)

Robinhood - 2012-07-10 9:10 PM

Not quite correct ... it is that he'll actually drink anything!!!! :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-07-10 9:39 PM

Robinhood - 2012-07-10 9:10 PM

Not quite correct ... it is that he'll actually drink anything!!!! :D

Yesh I finkso tooooo...........hic :D................Who's round is it? ;-)

Quiet right too, take the winter fuel allowance for a start, how many pensioners actually NEED it.

How many disabled who park their big Merc's and big BMW's in the disabled bays actually NEED the free car taxation that they get

And on and on it goes the list is almost endless

Syd - 2012-07-11 12:21 AM

Quiet right too, take the winter fuel allowance for a start, how many pensioners actually NEED it.

How many disabled who park their big Merc's and big BMW's in the disabled bays actually NEED the free car taxation that they get

Problem is that we would have to employ an army of new public sector workers to police it.

All the tax saved might just about pay for them and their pensions.

:-(

Quiet correct Malc but there must be a way to do it that will not cost the earth, there must be a record of everything that everyone earns kept somewhere so why not put everyone above a certain earnings figure onto a list that will automatically exclude them from certain benefits and so on and so on.

Or won't that work cos it is too simple

Syd - 2012-07-11 9:45 AM

Quiet correct Malc but there must be a way to do it that will not cost the earth, there must be a record of everything that everyone earns kept somewhere so why not put everyone above a certain earnings figure onto a list that will automatically exclude them from certain benefits and so on and so on.

It might be relatively easy for people on PAYE,who, I'm sure, are closely monitored, but what about everyone else ?

Means testing is a real minefield.

Yes. It won't work because it is too simple.

What are "earnings"?

From which sources?

When is which money exactly "earned"?

By who is it "owned"? When?

What about varying tax reliefs?

What about future investment issues?

What about shareholdings?

What about trusts?

What about deferred income for reinvestment?

What about exchange rates?

What about gifts/betting/property value changes?

Etc, etc etc.

I'm not having a pop; I'm just trying to illustrate that, whereas pinning down "earnings" for some PAYE-only earning people may appear simple, it really is the very opposite when you start to add in even just a few other factors.

Sorry.

What about the likes of us who started out married life with nothing living in a borrowed caravan. Worked hard, brought up three kids without sponging on the state. Never spent what we didn't have. Saved and invested well and put a high percentage of our income into pension funds. All to ensure a comfortable retirement.

Yes you may well call us rich but we earned it and as a result are very unlikely to become a burden on the State. Why should we not be entitled to the few small perks as those who have worked less and probably spent their money on luxuries we would have never considered in our middle age.

You could easily argue that given how much we have contributed to the state we should be the very ones who are most entitled those few small perks.

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2012-07-11 4:40 PM

What about the likes of us who started out married life with nothing living in a borrowed caravan. Worked hard, brought up three kids without sponging on the state. Never spent what we didn't have. Saved and invested well and put a high percentage of our income into pension funds. All to ensure a comfortable retirement.

Yes you may well call us rich but we earned it and as a result are very unlikely to become a burden on the State. Why should we not be entitled to the few small perks as those who have worked less and probably spent their money on luxuries we would have never considered in our middle age.

You could easily argue that given how much we have contributed to the state we should be the very ones who are most entitled those few small perks.

There's the rub Colin...........The government complain that no one is saving for their pensions or old age......................but what's the point of working hard and building a business? as when you get to the stage of being old and dribbley you'll end up in the same home sat next to someone who's getting it for free, where as your house is being sold to pay for your care *-)...........

Or as the new plan is you'll get a loan to pay for your care so they can add interest to the bill ;-)..............Brilliant *-).............Now you see why I'm retiring next year ;-)

Syd - 2012-07-11 12:21 AM

Ere! You don't arf live in a posh part of the country! Just Mercs and Beemers for the disabled! What on earth are the others in. That only leaves Rollers, Bentleys, and hunters! :-D

Add all such benefits to income, so that they become taxable, just like the state pension. Won't gain full recovery, but better than having it all paid tax free, and no extra recovery cost involved?

There's little doubt that benefits should(need!)to be better directed...there seems very little to merit in issuing things such as the "winter fuel payment"(£250?) to perfectly fit and healthy 60 year olds,who may still be in work!?

(..or to those who are spending it on French or Spanish wine,whilst they tour the Continent... *-) )

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-07-11 6:10 PM

There's little doubt that benefits should(need!)to be better directed...there seems very little to merit in issuing things such as the "winter fuel payment"(£250?) to perfectly fit and healthy 60 year olds,who may still be in work!?

(..or to those who are spending it on French or Spanish wine,whilst they tour the Continent... *-) )

Sadly I doubt we will get our winter fuel payment til next year, as er in doors don't get her pension til then, I've had to wait another 18 months til she gets it *-)..............Life just ain't fair for us toy boys :D

If you have scrimped and saved to be able to buy your own home and gone without the luxuries of life, if you have to go into care its more than likely your home will have to be sold to pay for your care costs.

If you live in a council house and then have to go into a care home your care costs are paid for you, is that right?

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-07-11 8:31 PM

If you have scrimped and saved to be able to buy your own home and gone without the luxuries of life, if you have to go into care its more than likely your home will have to be sold to pay for your care costs.

If you live in a council house and then have to go into a care home your care costs are paid for you, is that right?

Well that is the question Malcolm ;-)..............I don't doubt the thought process of Mr Bevan at the time was entirely honorable and worthy, and for many years it worked well, but then Mrs "T" saw it as cheaper than subsidising nationalised industries *-) ....................I happen to think those chickens have now come home to roost >:-)

Bit harsh Malc on many folk who have worked hard and paid their dues just like me and you, but for one reason or another couldn't afford to buy a house. My 1st house (a 2 bed Terrace) cost me £1090 in 1973. The only way I got the deposit was borrowing it off my mother, otherwise I would have still been in a council house. At that time I was working 6 - 7 days a week with a wife and two under school age children to support. Oh! and no child allowance for the first child. ;-)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-07-11 9:02 PM

Bit harsh Malc on many folk who have worked hard and paid their dues just like me and you, but for one reason or another couldn't afford to buy a house. My 1st house (a 2 bed Terrace) cost me £1090 in 1973. The only way I got the deposit was borrowing it off my mother, otherwise I would have still been in a council house. At that time I was working 6 - 7 days a week with a wife and two under school age children to support. Oh! and no child allowance for the first child. ;-)

Dave

You was lucky :D................6 of us lived in a 2 bed rented flat above our rented shop *-)..............and my mates at school thought we were posh because we had our own business 8-).....................they had their own bedrooms and.............a garden *-)

Archived