Bike Styles?

Guest Tracker

Robinhood - 2012-07-11 7:35 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-11 6:42 PM

Tracker - 2012-07-11 11:51 AM

malc d - 2012-07-11 11:38 AM

I've been carrying bikes on the back for the last ten years. without a cover, and they have not suffered " road dirt degradation"

I was surprised to read what Brian had to say about road dirt but to be fair, on reflection, and knowing how dirty the back of the van gets I am not surprised after all!!

Perhaps the bikes need to be covered from below as well as from above?

The cover was as total as we could make it, but due to the design of the racks it is very difficult to fully enclose the bottom of the rack. There is also a risk that water may enter and lie on the base of the cover, so some degree of opening seems desirable. The bikes went round Spain, Portugal, France and Italy on the back of that van, and they got very dirty despite the cover. Just telling it like it was, no more, no less!

I've carried 3 bikes for a good few years. All quality makes, 2 Trek and 1 Marin.

The 2 carried on the rack have fared much worse than the, older, 1 carried in the garage.

i bet you put the marin in the garage :-D

ive a diamondback and its suffered on the bike rack :'(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nuevoboy - 2012-07-16 7:23 PM

Protecting the bikes from muck is not difficult we use a Fiamma Premium cover which completely encloses the bikes present one is on it's last legs after 4 years cost £36. If they get nicked a bit annoying but our house insurance covers us for bikes up to the value of £4000 each worldwide at no extra charge.

QUOTE]

Lenny, I'd love to know who your insurer is.

When we last enquired about our £4,000 tandem, they wanted £500 per year to insure it alone. 8-)

Our other 4 bikes are worth around £1,000 each and they aren't covered either.

By the way, they're carried on a rack on the back of the 'van with no cover (just triple locked) and have been out in all weathers. Well, we do live in Wales after all. ;-)

Marks and Spencer, however I think they have recently changed it for new policies and you have to declare the value & the premium is adjusted, on my policy it is unspecified items up to £4000 max per item which includes bikes.

Big advantage of M&S is the cover is worldwide & no restrictions, our previous house insurers were Saga they wanted £100 to cover the bikes & the small print restricted the cover to the UK. Looked at special bike policies they all would not cover on a vehicle or in a public place between 11:00pm & 7:00am not much good on an aire or wild camping especially as we hardly ever use sites.

Would have agreed about 'cheap' bikes having had Dawes road bikes, however we found that a pair of full suspension, full size folding mountain bikes we bought purely for the motorhome have been absolutely brilliant. They are very cheap, so don't have to worry too much about insurance or loss (though would be gutted now after using them so much last holiday), have Shimano 21 gears, disc brakes to the front, full suspension and we can ride them all day will no problems at all. Did 32Km in one hit 3 weeks ago with ease, something my wife would never have done before as she is a not an enthusiastic rider, but even she thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was able to keep riding the whole time. Used them on the flat and up and down the hills.

Simply brilliant and all folded up into a bag and carried inside the motorhome so no racks and no covers required, even easier if you have a garage.

My opinion now is it is not neccessarily the price but whether you like the bike you buy. I agree with Mel, cheap doesn't neccessarily mean they are no good, our folders were even cheaper than Mels supermarket ones and the full suspension is brilliant no downside whatsoever that we can find just smooth comfortable riding.

Bas

Thanks for the info Lenny.

I've heard that M&S were good but had recently changed their policy. *-)

I don't want to get into an argument on whether to buy cheap and cheerful or not (as our cheapest bike was £800 or so).

As the above post confirmed, it's whether the bike is suitable for your purpose and is comfy to ride.

However, like saddles, it's not easy to tell what will suit without a reasonable time on one. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Picked up our new bike on Saturday, its an AVE MH7 semi folder, with Shwarbe Big Apple tyres. rides really well and with Bosch drive will climb anything :-D

Optimized-new.jpg.0bf50a31901d9a9de11be373cce2d98c.jpg

Just picked up on this thread and like others have been a keen cyclist but it seems to me that all Rich wants is, like most vanners, a couple of cheap bikes to use for a bit of gentle cycling for fairly short distances. Rich all this talk about paying hundreds of pounds or you will regret it is rubbish, just buy second hand bikes for £100 each or even new for about £150 and you will be fine. If you find that you enjoy it then OK you will need to spend a bit more but nothing much lost as you will be able to sell them on. All this talk about how much money people spend is just them trying to impress, it seems a few just cannot resist the temptation to tell us all how much the latest toy they have bought cost them.

rupert123 - 2012-07-17 6:43 PM

Just picked up on this thread and like others have been a keen cyclist but it seems to me that all Rich wants is, like most vanners, a couple of cheap bikes to use for a bit of gentle cycling for fairly short distances. Rich all this talk about paying hundreds of pounds or you will regret it is rubbish, just buy second hand bikes for £100 each or even new for about £150 and you will be fine. If you find that you enjoy it then OK you will need to spend a bit more but nothing much lost as you will be able to sell them on. All this talk about how much money people spend is just them trying to impress, it seems a few just cannot resist the temptation to tell us all how much the latest toy they have bought cost them.

Hi Rupert, I'll take your message as a dig at me, as I seem to be the one who has quoted what some people may consider astronomical prices for our bicycles.

My point in my previous posting was that it indeed isn't the amount of money that one spends, but specifically if the bike suits the person.

Rich may well go out and spend £150 on a new bike as you suggest, but if it's unsuitable for him (a full suspension mountain bike for example - and I'm not saying that in itself would be unsuitable) then he wouldn't be happy on it and wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it.

I really wasn't trying to impress anyone with how much we've spent on our bicycles. As it happens, the reason they're so expensive is that we've had them custom-built by experienced frame builders so that we are supremely comfortable on ours. They're certainly not toys either. We've only had our 'van 18 months (and it was comparatively cheap and cheerful) but we've cycled over 2,000 miles on them during that time, as it's our main hobby and means of transport once we're parked up on site.

As I said,I don't want to get into an argument over the costs of bicycles, it's what's suitable for Rich that's the point. :->

Basil - 2012-07-17 12:40 PM

Would have agreed about 'cheap' bikes having had Dawes road bikes, however we found that a pair of full suspension, full size folding mountain bikes we bought purely for the motorhome have been absolutely brilliant. They are very cheap, so don't have to worry too much about insurance or loss (though would be gutted now after using them so much last holiday), have Shimano 21 gears, disc brakes to the front, full suspension and we can ride them all day will no problems at all. Did 32Km in one hit 3 weeks ago with ease, something my wife would never have done before as she is a not an enthusiastic rider, but even she thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was able to keep riding the whole time. Used them on the flat and up and down the hills.

Simply brilliant and all folded up into a bag and carried inside the motorhome so no racks and no covers required, even easier if you have a garage.

My opinion now is it is not neccessarily the price but whether you like the bike you buy. I agree with Mel, cheap doesn't neccessarily mean they are no good, our folders were even cheaper than Mels supermarket ones and the full suspension is brilliant no downside whatsoever that we can find just smooth comfortable riding.

Bas

Hi Bas,

any info, pics or links to these bikes, im interested B-)

jon

Robinhood - 2012-07-16 10:34 PM

silverback - 2012-07-16 8:41 PM

i bet you put the marin in the garage :-D

ive a diamondback and its suffered on the bike rack :'(

The Marin is my wife's. The Treks are mine and my son's.

Want to guess again? ;-)

No... still think the marin goes in the garage :D :-S

jon

silverback - 2012-07-18 8:05 PM

Basil - 2012-07-17 12:40 PM

Would have agreed about 'cheap' bikes having had Dawes road bikes, however we found that a pair of full suspension, full size folding mountain bikes we bought purely for the motorhome have been absolutely brilliant. They are very cheap, so don't have to worry too much about insurance or loss (though would be gutted now after using them so much last holiday), have Shimano 21 gears, disc brakes to the front, full suspension and we can ride them all day will no problems at all.

Bas

Hi Bas,

any info, pics or links to these bikes, im interested B-)

jon

I think he might be talking about these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3321377.htm

absolutely agree. Our bikes are folding ones about 200 each and suited us just fine while we were away

At work there is a fairly large cycling community, indeed one of the Managers owns a cycle shop.

There's been a fair amount of interest in my new bike, not from a technical or cost angle but from, wait for it... a using it angle.

Yes, they're fascinated by the fact that I'm cycling to and from work whenever the weather is reasonable.

Now the lads all own expensive mountain bikes, and one racer cost over £8000 believe it or not, but hey guess what, no bugger's using them 8-)

Apart from one who has just forced himself to start getting out a bit more, (and that was only because he was hacked off at paying a £30 a month service plan for nothing in effect), all the bikes are doing nothing but stand still.

Moral to the story?

Paying a bucket load of dosh is nil guarantee that a better ride, lighter, better brakes and steering and suspension will motivate you to use it any more than my £130 Halfords own brand cycle.

Right I'm done now :D

Bradley Wiggins

Hi Silverback, no not the ones that Mel has shown, ours have 21 gears, FULL suspension and disc brake, I don't think the Argos offering has that. They are from an e-bay supplier but you can pick up in person if you are near Birmingham. My brother and his wife and two pairs of freinds have now bought these and are over the moon with them. The example below is the latest advert and is £9.00 dearer than we paid but still, in my view, a very good buy.

http://www.8funbike.com/detail.asp/sku=26SF02BL

Proprietor extremely helpful and after care has so far been good, eg sent free touch up paint for a scratch I found and offered to exchange if I was not satisfied with repair. The above model is the black version it is also available in white. They came next day delivery.

If you Google the bikes you will find others offering the same bike for around £179 though there are similar ones cheaper but with less gears and non disc brake.

Bas

P.S. If I had any downside it is that it is difficult to store the handle bars without scratching the paintwork when folded, but my wife thinks I'm paranoid!!

Basil - 2012-07-18 9:50 PM

P.S. If I had any downside it is that it is difficult to store the handle bars without scratching the paintwork when folded, but my wife thinks I'm paranoid!!

Old socks are quite good so stick a couple on each bike's handlebars before folding, or even pipe insulation. :-D

LordThornber - 2012-07-18 9:47 PM

At work there is a fairly large cycling community, indeed one of the Managers owns a cycle shop.

There's been a fair amount of interest in my new bike, not from a technical or cost angle but from, wait for it... a using it angle.

Yes, they're fascinated by the fact that I'm cycling to and from work whenever the weather is reasonable.

Now the lads all own expensive mountain bikes, and one racer cost over £8000 believe it or not, but hey guess what, no bugger's using them 8-)

Apart from one who has just forced himself to start getting out a bit more, (and that was only because he was hacked off at paying a £30 a month service plan for nothing in effect), all the bikes are doing nothing but stand still.

Moral to the story?

Paying a bucket load of dosh is nil guarantee that a better ride, lighter, better brakes and steering and suspension will motivate you to use it any more than my £130 Halfords own brand cycle.

Right I'm done now :D

Bradley Wiggins

Totally agree Martyn...

A few of my mates have recently(past couple of years)"got into bikes" in a big way..as in,throwing money at them as if it was going out of fashion(..carbon fibre blah blah..)..but there's only one of them that ever uses it on a regular(ish) basis..

Their bikes are well engineered,lovely looking bits of kit but it does seem for some,to all about the "bling"... (lol)

Personally,for just dipping my toes,I'd initially be looking in the local small ads to seee what's about...

Hi Nuevoboy,

You are mistaken I think. This statement was aimed at me. My story was designed to illustrate how simpler and cheaper is more often than not just as satisfying as expensive. I think Tracker understood that; and it was him that I was talking to. Perhaps other people did too.

A certain obnoxious person has reared his head once again and I will not be biting.

For the record my bikes are probably better than his, and so is my car and my girlfriend but I am far too busy being helpful to get into a urinating contest with him.

I enjoy all kinds of cycling and get on a bike about 4 or 5 times a week and have done since I was about 5; I have built them and repaired them and am also trusted to carry out repairs on bikes that are participating in charity triathlon events, before and during the race, using a Fiat Ducato van 3.0 Auto that I keep just for this purpose. So I believe I am qualified to offer advice.

Anyway, back to the point at hand, Mr Tracker;

I have in recent months bought a couple of bikes off ebay. They were both bikes that would have retailed for about £750 when new and were about 10 years old and cost £100 each. Both have needed new tyres, one a wheel and both needed attention or replacement brakes so have actually cost about £160 to £200 each. You might well fare worse than I did, and that is why I suggested visiting a discounting dealer and finding out what is best for you.

Specialized dealers have access to demonstrator bikes, which would be a good idea before parting with your money and don't forget that some cycle centres like Rutland Cycling at Rutland Water have hire bikes of most types available so that you can try them out. £12 spent on hiring the wrong bike is better than flushing away £2 or 300 on it! You would also (if you go there on a weekday) be able to distinguish between the different syles of bikes and the benefits in terms of weight that come with spending a bit (or a lot) more. That could be worth the journey because nobody will be trying to sell you anything if you just deal with the hire department.

Nick

To hire some bikes and try them is the best piece of advise, well done Nick.

It is not the bikes you need to try but your legs. If you have not cycled for years any bike will feel uncomfortable. Once you done a couple of rides you can start to think about which style of bike suits you. Everyone on here swears by their choice of style and price paid. Can we all be right?

I know what is good for me although I doubt many others would find it comfortable.

Archived