Vanity basin cracked around waste

Jeffas

Hi

Whilst away this weekend I notice crack around the waste in the vanity basin on my ace Modena motor home when I put light pressure it fell straight through.Having done search on Internet I have been unable to find one of similar match or style leaving me with no other option but to go through main dealer what a joke they only want £195.00 plus vat and to top it all it could take upto a month to 90days delivery.

I have read of this happening to many others .so if any body has any suggestions please help!!!!!!

You are right it does seem to happen a lot. Some have said it is often caused by the reaction of some mouth wash with the plastic or it could just be poor plastic.

I assume yours is the rather triangular looking basin with the tap hole in it. If that is the case it probably won't be easy finding one "off the shelf". As you don't say where you are it is difficult to point you in the direction of a local supplier but you could look at O'learys web site - they hold a large and varied stock of all sorts of motorhome kit - http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ and if you don't see what you want on the site - give 'em a ring - they are a helpful bunch.

And welcome to the mad house! :-D

These earlier forum threads mention a possible link between mouth-wash and damaged bathroom sinks.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2004&posts=6

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12684&posts=13

I remain unconvinced, but (from Trev F G's posting in the 2nd thread) it should be evident that problems with motorhome washbasins are far from uncommon.

I believe the Ace Modena and Bessacarr E450 were virtual clones. There's a photo of a 2005 E450's washbasin here

http://www.alankerrltd.co.uk/used-motorhome-bessacarr-e450-motorhome-1054.htm

If that's what is fitted to Jeffas's Modena, then replacement other than on an exact like-for-like basis may prove to be very difficult. As the damage is major (and the sink is almost certainly not made from GRP), repair may not be an option, but this company might be able to advise

http://www.caravanserviceandrepairs.co.uk/#/contact/4559160765

Mine is a bit cracked but not all the way through.

I reckon it's the UV light through the roof vent penetrating the plastic through the stress cracks caused

by the forming process. But I could be wrong!

Anyway, I have a plan if mine goes completely, I will cut a washer out of plastic that will fit the plug hole and also cover the cracked edge of the hole. Then using something like Araldite stick the whole lot together.

With a bit of care and some gentle sanding/polishing I think a neat job could be made of it.

H

What about looking at the companies that fix/re-coat shower trays?(..although I don't know what "finish" they produce).

There's been a few threads on that topic..so may be worth a "search"..

In fact there was an ad' for such a company flashing at the top of the page until not so long back....

:-S

For safety reasons a shower-tray repair finish will normally be non-shiny, which is not what's wanted on a washbasin. Even the finish of the basin repair shown in the photo on the link I provided earlier does not look that smooth.

The reason why these washbasins fail is simply because the manufacturing process in many cases is unsuitable. While thermo-plastic materials are simple (and inexpensive) to mould into attractive 'stylish' shapes, they are notoriously crack-prone unless a sufficient thickness of material is employed. And, when they do crack, they are difficult/impossible to repair. If sufficiently thick material were used (or GRP rather than acrylic) cracking would be far less common.

Peter Hambilton fixed mine during an annual service for £68 including parts and £40 labour and VAT. Didn't need a sink replacement.

It depends on how much the sink is damaged.

He may not want to do yours if that's all you want - he's a busy man - but he may tell you how to fix it.

I had a similar problem earlier in the year on our Pilote who wanted an eye watering amount for a new basin. As an alternative I bought a corner basin from CAK Tanks for about £30 and adjusted the cabinet and waste to fit. However, I had to stiffen the front of the basin to prevent sagging under accidental load. I used a metal rod bent to shape and set it in Araldite which was placed on the underside.

Leading up to this replacement I too had the failure occur around the waste outlet. I did a temporary job with a large steel washer glued to the underside of the sink with Araldite. There is a two pack available from Maplins which will stick to both plastic and metal. I then sealed the remaining hairline crack in the basin using |Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack cure. This stuff is amazing.

I have to say that the job of re-fitting the basin was very fiddly and time consuming and would have been very expensive if done by a coach fitting company.

H

twice its happened on my vans once on a kon tiki and once on my bessacarr, it was a standard white basin and cost £25 which i fitted.. this time with a coloured shell shaped basin which i was quoted over £250, rip off or what.. i was not going to be ripped off by anyone for a cheap extruded piece of plastic so i sourced a round stainless steel basin which roughly fitted the hole, drilled a waste hole and with a piece of good quality ply stained and fitted it over the existing hole.. with the large chrome tap it now looks much classyer than the original.. i was speaking to a owner of a static caravan park , told him that i cleaned my basins with a soft bathroom cleaner which states for plastic and he told me that any cleaner will attack the cheap plastic in most vans,, he says he will only clean his sinks with water and a solution of the red toilet bowl additive which will harm no plastic.. i now use this and it seems fine..

Archived