Italian Sites

ChasB

We are planning our first trip to Italy for this September. We are planning to visit the Lake Como and Lake Garda areas but are put off buy the large sites in those areas. We would like to stay on sites that are smaller without entertainment and the assorted so called facilities that come with this sort of site.

Can anyone recommend any smaller peaceful sites in those areas.

Any other useful information on Italy would be most welcome.

Guest JudgeMental
a whole cluster of sites around lake Garda in ACSI low season discount scheme. Como not as well served with camp-sites. camping in Italy is expensive but worth it in our opinion....

Sorry if I appear to hijack this thread.... Are there any routes around the lakes (particularly lake Garda) that should be avoided? I'd love to visit, but having seen some YouTube footage some of it looks pretty hairy!!

I have (will have should I say) a large tag axle AT, but from the footage the widths and heights seem to be very restricted.

Also, once in the area are the narrow areas signposted/clearly marked?

Busses and Heavy goods vehicles all go round lake Garda quiet easilly it seemed to me so should be no real worry, We saw nothing that would present any real problem, caution in a couple of area's but nothing more than that

Guest JudgeMental

you need to avoid the right hand side of lake garda from above Salo to Riva, its very narrow through tunnels..a few years a go (we go every summer) we were in a hire car and got stuck befind an artic which had wedged himself in tight in one tunnel

if you have nerves of steel like Syd give it a go! :D

Hi Judge

Agreed there is one tunnel that is a bit tight but we followed an Artic through it absolutely no problem, you must have been following a learner driver :D :D

By the way we were towing a 22ft X 8ft Caravan at the time so we were some 35ft plus long altogether

Hi Chas - we have stayed on 2 sites on the shores of Lake Garda and been very happy with both. Whilst both are large (seems to be the norm in that area) in May (and I guess in September) they were, in our opinion, pleasant places to stay.

The first is Cisano di Bardolino (p 429 of ACSI Discount Book). Whilst the booking-in process is slow and some of the pitches are very sloping we found it to be a great place to stay. The swimming pool complex is on the other side of the main road (through a tunnel) from the touring pitches and although the site was busy on both occasions we have stayed it wasn't noisy. The adjacent lakeside footpath/cyclepath gives easy access to Bardolino and Garda in one direction and Lazisa in the other.

The other site is Camping Village San Francesco (p429 also) with a relatively easy cylce ride to Sirmione. Whilst there is a bar/restaurant there was no problem with noise. Again the swimming pool is across a road from the touring area.

I would think that in September there will not be a full "entertainment programme" as school holidays will be over.

We would also agree with 'Judgemental' that the western shore of Lake Garda is not the best for driving - we did it once and had an "altercation" with an Italian coach driver and coach when he insisted on trying to get through a gap that wasn't there. Fortunately he did not hit our van but it was only because I intervened and pulled in the mirror. Our van was a VW panel van - we certainly wouldn't want to take anything wider along the stretch to which 'Judgemental' referred.

Regarding roads around Garda, I think it wiser to take heed of those who have experienced problems, than those who have not. Problems come and go: they are a risk. Until the risk arises, for many, it does not exist. The northern end of the western road has many galleries and tunnels, mainly unlit, some lined, some rough-hewn.

My suggestion is to pull up Google Earth and go to 45.814782°N 10.791916°E, which should get you to the northern end of Limone sul Garda, then switch to Streets (pull down the little yellow man) and you can "drive" the road. The tunnel out of Limone is a cracker! :-) Then, you can make your own mind up about whether you want to drive it.

It is true the local coach and truck drivers negotiate these tunnels, but I think they are very familiar with them, and know what lies around each bend, and where to swing wide to clear the knobbly bits. As a stranger, one has none of that advantage, and tackling a rough tunnel, in the dark, with only dipped beams as a guide to where the roof intrudes, would not be my idea of fun. But then, that's me!

Western side of Garda best avoided in a large motorhome due to series of tunnels built in Mussolini`s day. Eastern side of Como is also a series of damp dark tunnels but I don`t recall any major problems. Professional italian Drivers (Bus/Lorry) don`t have much time for foreigners slowing them up.

Many Italian Campsites were built for caravans around 6m long and can be tight, as a previous post said sites in Italy are expensive Camping Cheques are useful if going off peak.

Lake Maggorie is pleasant Cannobio being an extremely nice lakeside village.

Best part of Garda is the top 2/3rds, Sirmione at the bottom is pleasant but the southern rim of the lake itself last time I was there had a touch of new build about it and could`nt be described as quaint.

ChasB - 2012-07-11 3:19 PM

We are planning our first trip to Italy for this September. We are planning to visit the Lake Como and Lake Garda areas but are put off buy the large sites in those areas. We would like to stay on sites that are smaller without entertainment and the assorted so called facilities that come with this sort of site.

Can anyone recommend any smaller peaceful sites in those areas.

Any other useful information on Italy would be most welcome.

You are right to be concerned about the campsites around Lake Garda We booked in one in Sirmione and moved on after the first night, the pitches were very small and very shaded. The receptionist recomended the west bank of the lake as being quieter and she was right.

We were also advised not to go down the road on the west side, we followed the Autostrada from Austria towards Bordelino and turned off towards Sirmione. But taking the lake side road on the East bank would have been better we missed a lot of nice places apparently.

Northern Italy is not like France, we were very disapointed but don't let that put you off.

Have a good trip

Cliffy - 2012-07-12 10:08 PM..................Northern Italy is not like France, we were very disapointed but don't let that put you off.

Hope I shan't appear quarrelsome, Cliffy, but I don't understand. What disappointed you?

Northern Italy is so much more than lake Garda, it is a whole region that includes, among many others, Merano, Bolzano, Turin, Milan, Parma, Genoa, Verona, Modena, Bologna, Padua, Ferrara, Vicenza, Venice, Chioggia and Ravenna. There are magnificent cathedrals and churches, there is art galore, there are beautiful historic towns, there is stunning scenery, there is good food and wine, and the Italians are generally very friendly.

Indeed it is not like France: it is Italy. Those towns alone probably contain, much as I like France, more real historic and cultural interest than the whole of France put together. What's not to like?

Guest JudgeMental

We disagree as well Cliffy.....We love Italy, the food, the people and the beauty of a historic Mediterranean environment. And above all the WEATHER!

Have toured all the northern lakes and its a beautiful and charming area

We are leaving for Italy in 3 weeks and weather where we are heading first a constant 30+ deg. intend to spend some time in The Alsace region first..but the weather at the moment grim (that's France for yeah!) so may have to give it a miss

Well our opinion may have been affected by just having spent 4 nights on the best site we have ever been on (Netterersea in Insbruck) but ......

The first site we turned up at on Garda the site roads were exceedingly narrow and so water logged I almost got stuck on them and I if I had tried to get on to any pitch I would have certainly would have. After managing to turn round we left and moved on to the next at Sirmonie seemed fine but the pitch we were given was only 60 Sq Mtrs with a tree at either end and others were no better. We moved on after the first night. The receptionist directed us to the west of the lake. The site was good the view across the lake was great and had a lovely swimiming pool but it also had millions of midgies, The restuarant looked good so we give it a try after studying the menu for 10 mins we decided on a couple of Pizzas but "sorry Pizzas are only available on weekends" We spent 3 nights at the site and quite enjoyed it.

We moved on to Lake Maggiore The site there was run by a fantastic family who made us very welcome but the grass had not been cut and the toilets, all except one, were the hole in the ground type. it was nice and quite for the three nights we were there except the night there was an earth quake and we were shaken awake at 3 o'clock in the morning and kept awake by the sirons and dogs barking. (We can't blame Italy for that though"

I feel sure we missed alot of nice places but we were glad to get back into France. We did find that food and cafe prices, especially Ice cream were really cheap in Italy.

We will go again and give it another try on the way to Croatia, which we fancy doing, maybe next year.

Guest JudgeMental

earthquake!.........Well jel! :-D

of in a few weeks..Garda Tuscany and Umbria. ferry over to Split and touring around Croatia (went last year) with a bit of Island hopping...

Guest JudgeMental
Cliffy - 2012-07-13 8:43 PM

I will pick your brains when you return, if I may.

Hope you have a great trip.

Bless you ..... any time :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advise. It appears that Lake Maggiore could be a better quieter destination than Lakes Como and Garda.

Does anyone have any advice about the Italian aires. I have been told that the aires are quite expensive compared to the aires in France , and I would be better off using my ACSI book.

Just one further thought on the Italian sites. If you are going in September, get the ACSI book and card, as others have suggested, which will bring down the price. However, by September, most of the crowds will have gone, the sites will be far quieter, and a lot of the facilities you don't want will in any case have closed. Wherever you go, if the Italians are there (likely, it is Italy :-)) it will be noisy, because the Italians are noisy. Not, IMO, offensively noisy, just exuberantly noisy. That is Italy: it is all noise and frenetic activity, but the Italians are, in general, friendly, welcoming, and helpful - they just don't understand quiet! If you want quiet, slip into a church, where all will be gilded calm, except perhaps, for a voice saying "no photo!" :-) Va bene!

Guest JudgeMental
All the lakes worth visiting they all have their share of charm...such a beautiful area most sites you will find will be busy in high season and quiet outside of that

Before we settled on spending most of our vanning time in France we toured much of Italy. In general Italian sites have cramped pitches are very wooded and expensive. But Italy is well worth visiting particularly the cultural attractions of the cities and the senic beauty of say the lakes. In September the sites will be much less busy than summer whilst by October many will be closed. The site in Como for example is a crowded and dusty in August but a mud heap and empty in October. To experience real authentic Italy however try to go further south than the lakes and Tuscany. But be warned by the time you get as far as Palermo the cars are no longer stopping at the red lights! (As sure you all know in France we use the aires ;well in Italy there is a similar network of stopping places, many listed on the campig-car infos web site. We have stopped on some of these but if you think vans park close on some French aires then nothing like the Italians do; to be honest on the whole we gave them a miss, although some were fine, and used sites but would not rave about these either).

Guest JudgeMental

We will be using a mixture of Aires and sites on out trip starting next week.. Unfortunately will still be in August for Tuscany/Umbria leg so sites will be expensive I guess, but popular tourist spot Aires in Italy not cheap either.....

When we get over to Croatia we will be able to use the ACSI card (September) and just as well as no Aires there .....

Adios Amigos! :-D

Archived