Twin view reversing cameras

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Looking ahead.................or should that be looking back :D

Thinking a twin view reversing camera would be a useful bit of kit, for when we start dragging our trailer and hopefully a trailer sailer behind us around Europe...........not both at the same time ;-)

Been looking at threads about them, they seem to switch from long rear view to towball view via selecting reverse gear :-S..............trouble is looking at my towball ain't going to help me reverse my trailer, can these cameras be set up with manual selection to the monitor?

Plus how many arms and legs will I need to sacrifice to buy one? :-S

Short answer to the first question, Dave, is that you can select the camera from the monitor, even when the automatic switch has been triggered. However, there needs to be the right degree of compatibility between camera and monitor.

There are not that many such cameras, so far as I can discover. Waeco is by far the most expensive, Camos uses a tilt mechanism that, IMO, leave both views compromised, and the third is marketed as Vision. It seem this last may not be truly comparable between all sellers, as there is a claim by one that not all versions provide differing camera lens angles. The rear view camera should have a "normal" angle lens, whereas the reversing camera needs a "wide" angle lens for best view. This is where the Camos loses out. Because the reversing view is only provided by the tilt, it does not change lens angles to suit use.

Price is a bit difficult. There are two variants on the Waeco kit comprising camera, monitor, and all cable. One uses a new style camera that is cheaper than the original at around £500. The original is around £700. At the other end of the scale, I have seen the Vision camera alone advertised for as little as £100 (don't know about the lenses) with monitors for a bit more, but you have to buy all the bits as well and I didn't look at the pricing. All I'd add is that I think it very desirable to see the kit working before buying, because picture quality is influenced by lens, CCD/CMOS receptor, and monitor screen.

The Vision cameras use a Sony CCD, as do the Waeco's, which should guarantee quality, but who knows whose electronics are installed behind the CCD? The cameras need to be able to handle a wide variety of light conditions, and IMO, not all do this particularly well, some taking far too long to "stop down" or "open up" when passing from shade to light and back. On the other hand, most seem very good in poor light.

The Vision camera has two cables that must be fed right to the monitor, the Waeco has a single cable that is split just before the monitor, passes through the camera switch box, and is then re-combined to a single monitor feed. This makes installation a bit easier and neater, but at a high price premium. Waeco's standard interconnect cable is 20 metres with made on multi-pin connectors both ends. The Vision sellers seem to offer a range of cable lengths in 5 metre increments, which seems more sense.

Some monitors can take feeds from more than two cameras, and the Waeco is geared for trailer mounted cameras so that when the trailer is coupled and the additional lead connected, a trailer mounted camera provides the rear view in lieu of the one on the van. Don't know about reversing with this arrangement, but it will be expensive.

Make sure the monitor can be switched for reversed (mirror) view. Most can, or will be pre-set, but one that cannot be reversed will give you a left-right reversed view, so potentially dangerous.

I have a monitor that clips over rear view mirror. I have wired it direct to the power supply therefore it acts as a rear view mirror all the time none of this switching through reverse gear which I dont see the point of. Anyway my monitor has the facility of wiring two cameras and the ability to switch between the two by a touch screen button on the monitor. Lots of different cameras avilable so I beleive this setup would work for you. Oh and cost a couple of years ago was less than £150 (DIY fit)

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for the input Brian, IPS ;-)........................So I guess I need to see some working to get an idea..........Do they have them set up at shows?..........

Just for once I disagree with Brian with reference to the Camos tilt camera as I have one on my motorhome. Yes it only has the wide angle view which is excellent for close viewing during reversing manouvres, I can put my towball under the hitch of the trailer to within 20mm accuracy every time. On rearwards view yes it still has the wide angle but that is not a problem in my oinion as all I need to see is whether there is a vehicle in my blind spot or a long train has built up behind me which the wide angle camera along with my side mirrors gives me a good view of. I may be biased as I do sell and install Camos systems but in four years of using one it has never been less than excellent for me.

D.

These come with 2 cameras as standard:

no 1

no 2

It may be that some of the others which are a bit cheaper with only 2 video inputs, would also meet your needs but you'd need to check that the 2nd input would take a second 'mirror image' camera.

We've got a single camera system like this which we got off Ebay and just plug it into the 12v socket in a 'cubby' in front of the driver when we want to use it.

I brought my motorhome in march and fitted a twin lens camera system that I brought from Reversing Cameras UK over the internet.It has a 7" hd screen which has 3 input sockets and is switched from one to another by the touch screen.I fitted it myself which was quite simple as you only have to connect power and earth to the monitor and then connect camera to the monitor with the cables provided.I have only seen one other system working so not a lot to go on but mine is far better,a realy clear picture and view.£209 on their website,they have lots of other cameras and monitors and a lot of information as well.I actually phoned them and had a chat with the guy about what I wanted and then orderd over the phone,it arrived two days later.

Regards David

(If I was clever enough I would post a link, something I might master one day)

Rhinoinstalls fitted a twin camera to my van which gives rear view normally and the reverse camera view when reverse is selected. You can switch between the two views via manual selection on the monitor - a really good system, but not cheap. IMHO you get what you pay for, though.

To add to my posting above (sorry, tea arrived so had to cut it short! :D ), we have used our system a lot and it works perfectly, is very clear and easy to use, it also is very good at night even though its not meant to be a night vision one. :->

IMHO you do NOT have to pay a lot of money - with the problems I've heard/read about on some of the more expensive systems - I'll stick to my cheapo one.

Seeing as Dave is a bit of a skinflint (meant to be a compliment Dave! :-D ) somehow I don't think he'll be able to bear spending the sort of dosh some of the systems cost! (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-14 4:40 PM

Mel B - 2012-07-13 8:36 PM.............................with the problems I've heard/read about on some of the more expensive systems ..........

Hi Mel. Would you be prepared to expand on that a bit? What problems, and which systems. PM if you prefer. Thanks.

A quick look on here and I found this thread about a problem with a fitted system, I know there are others that I've read, but I can't remember the make or motorhome/camera kit. I've also talked to a couple of motorhomers on our last trip to France who were also having problems, one of them (it might have been a Swift?) got so fed up he got an 'after fit' kit and put it in himself. If I get the time I'll have a shuftie to see if I can find the others, but I seem to recall there have been some comments about these systems in the mags too.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26681&posts=12

ips - 2012-07-13 12:34 PM

I have a monitor that clips over rear view mirror. I have wired it direct to the power supply therefore it acts as a rear view mirror all the time none of this switching through reverse gear which I dont see the point of. Anyway my monitor has the facility of wiring two cameras and the ability to switch between the two by a touch screen button on the monitor. Lots of different cameras avilable so I beleive this setup would work for you. Oh and cost a couple of years ago was less than £150 (DIY fit)

i have the same system ,also you can run 2 cameras off the monitor and switch between cost £150 withsingle camera search reversing cameras uk ltd.nice friendly people to advise you

Brian, I was talking about some of the pre-installed/professionally installed systems generally, not specifically just about the 2 camera view systems - what I was trying to do was show that you don't have to spend a lot of money, either on single or twin camera system to get the same benefit .... :-S

As Dave's a tight-wad I'm surprised he's even contemplated doing this in the first place ... I would have thought he'd have installed a couple of periscopes instead ... and before anyone dismisses this - we used to know someone who had a Bond 875 3-wheeler who had put a large periscope effort on his car - yes really!!! *-)

I've had a shuftie for a photo of the Bond but haven't got one.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-07-16 11:45 AM

Brian, I was talking about some of the pre-installed/professionally installed systems generally, not specifically just about the 2 camera view systems - what I was trying to do was show that you don't have to spend a lot of money, either on single or twin camera system to get the same benefit .... :-S

As Dave's a tight-wad I'm surprised he's even contemplated doing this in the first place ... I would have thought he'd have installed a couple of periscopes instead ... and before anyone dismisses this - we used to know someone who had a Bond 875 3-wheeler who had put a large periscope effort on his car - yes really!!! *-)

I've had a shuftie for a photo of the Bond but haven't got one.

Tight Wad 8-).............Me! 8-)..............I'll have you know over the last couple of years I've spent over 3k upgrading and refurbing Horace ;-)............plus fourteen undred on the trailer........now I'm looking for a trailer sailor.............I'm spending like a sailor on a run ashore.............I even bought Sue some donuts the other day :D

pelmetman - 2012-07-16 12:36 PM

Tight Wad 8-).............Me! 8-)..............I'll have you know over the last couple of years I've spent over 3k upgrading and refurbing Horace ;-)............plus fourteen undred on the trailer........now I'm looking for a trailer sailor.............I'm spending like a sailor on a run ashore.............I even bought Sue some donuts the other day :D

Donuts ... for Sue ... a likely story ... I bet you had one too .......... :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-07-16 7:17 PM

Donuts ... for Sue ... a likely story ... I bet you had one too .......... :D

Yep ;-).......................but one out of five ain't bad when it comes to Sue and donuts 8-)

clay - 2012-07-16 11:39 AM

i have the same system ,also you can run 2 cameras off the monitor and switch between cost £150 withsingle camera search reversing cameras uk ltd.nice friendly people to advise you

Clay

Yep thats were we got ours.

Guest pelmetman
ips - 2012-07-17 9:58 AM

clay - 2012-07-16 11:39 AM

Clay

Yep thats were we got ours.

I like the idea of the monitor clipping over the rear view mirror, as that means less clutter on our dash which is already full .........I'll give them a ring ;-)

Archived