Shipping the camper to Australia or Japan

ChrisD

Hi Chris, I don't know what van you've got but I did a lot of research and decided that the import regulations were so severe that we would not bother see http://tinyurl.com/puklh The bottom line was they thoroughly steam clean the vehicle including the engine compartment, as our Ducato is all computerised and a warning not to steam clean the engines we decided not to go ahead. Another thing was the lack of air/con in our van, I got some excellent advice from a member of the Motorhome List who'd lived in OZ for 18 years or so. There was no problem getting the Ducato serviced it was the stringent import regs that are strictly enforced that put us off. Don

Every year around four 40 foot containers, each containing 3 to 5 gliders are shipped to Oz for their summer and then back to the UK or Netherlands. They are certainly not steam cleaned, despite having almost certainly landed out on farm land during the European season, and no import duty is levied provided they return to Europe. I cannot believe that it is impossible to temporarily import a motorhome to Oz without all the palaver suggested above and in the Tiny.url pages. I would start with the Australian Tourist Commission in London.

Don's correct about the conditions for import into Australia. My daughter lives in Brisbane and I had intended to ship the van over for six months to a year and do some extende touring but I was put off by all the rules etc. Another problem I encountered when enquiring about shipping from Southampton was the shippers needed the van to be empty and the cab sealed off from the caravan section. In the end it was easier to buy in Oz and sell at the end of the trip which was made easy by having family there. I did see a French Chauson Welcome on the east coast but didn't ask what problems he'd had but I suspect the rules are meant to be broken. I shipped a Combicamp trailer to Brisbane as a part container and that didn't require anything special Bill Ord

Archived