fresh water tank ?

scoutse

Hi folks, Before everyone starts panicking about there water tanks and showers. It is highly unlikely that you would get legionella from your water tank. The risk from your domestic shower is very slight. Infected water has to be aereolized and aspirated by a person to get legionella. Check out www.watersafety. before this thread gets too involved. Yes take precautions and drain your tank, flush it out with fresh water. If you live in a water restriction area as I do you can still use a hose pipe for this as it comes under health ans safety, also filling a domestic tank is allowed. David

As an old tanker-man, may I suggest that it is not a good idea to travel with a partially filled tank because of a thing known as "free surface". If your tank is long ways across your 'van, a lot of water suddenly going from one side to the other, may affect the stabillity. [sharp bends, round-a-bouts etc.].I say 'may' not 'will' as it depends on the construction of the particular 'van. Colin obviously takes precautions to avoid this. If the tank is full known as "pressed up" the movement of water is restricted, OR empty less weight to haul, so less fuel. Something for you to think about, cheers all, David Powell.

In fact, in a water tank designed for any moving vehicle, there should be baffles about one-third to one-half way up from the bottom to provent the type of slushing described. We only flush out our water tank if we are draining it for a winter month or two. We use tank water for hot drinks (boiled water) and washing. We have now fitted a General Ecology filter to the cold supply to the kitchen tap. It is guaranteed to remove all the nasties, and we now drink straight from that tap. In the last five weeks it has done no harm to us! It has certainly removed the plastic taste from the new tank, so if it can do that, I'll believe their claims on bacteria, etc.

Hi All, like Mel E sez, the tank "should" be ftted with baffles, but mine does not have them, unfortunately, so I mostly run empty, which is better with my little 2 Ltr engine, not much 'urge' on the hills. Haul less weight, use less fuel. Something to think about? We carry a couple of small plastic cans of water for a "cuppa" en route. The General Ecology filter not only takes care of all the 'nasties' as Mel E sez, but it also removes any unwanted tastes, so produces nice clean drinking water. We also have one in the house. Replacement filter cartridges are a bit expensive, but are on special offer at most M.H. shows, but worth every penny. Peace of mind & pleasant on the pallet.

Hi All, like Mel E sez, the tank "should" be ftted with baffles, but mine does not have them, unfortunately, so I mostly run empty, which is better with my little 2 Ltr engine, not much 'urge' on the hills. Haul less weight, use less fuel. Something to think about? We carry a couple of small plastic cans of water for a "cuppa" en route. The General Ecology filter not only takes care of all the 'nasties' as Mel E sez, but it also removes any unwanted tastes, so produces nice clean drinking water. We also have one in the house. Replacement filter cartridges are a bit expensive, but are on special offer at most M.H. shows, but worth every penny. Peace of mind & pleasant on the pallet.

Archived