fresh water tank ?

scoutse

[QUOTE]scoutse - 2006-06-25 1:51 PM Hi All should i drain the fresh water tank after going away for the day would it keep till the following week thanks mark[/QUOTE]

Unless the water is treated to ensure there is no organic contamination, I'd say it would be better drained.  It is surprising how quickly the inside of a tank develops a slimy coating in warm weather, presumably bacterial or algal, which I guess shouldn't be drunk.  However, as has been said, why put water in the tank for just one day?  Consider using bottled instead.

We don't drink water from the f.w. tank unless boiled, don't wash salads/fruit with it and don't clean teeth with it.  It is used via the heater for washing up when the site facs are not good/too far/its raining, washing ourselves ditto.  Nevertheless, I keep the tank water "dosed" with Certisil Argento which claims to maintain drinking purity for up to six months. 

Undoubtedly belt and braces, but we don't want to risk a bad dose of Montezuma's revenge while travelling.  Having to stay close to the loo is bad enough, but close to the site loo I'd prefer not to have to experience - and you surely don't want to be using your Thetford under those circumstances - especially if you're the one doing the emptying!

Regards

[QUOTE]Ranger - 2006-06-25 11:26 PM As an old tanker-man, may I suggest that it is not a good idea to travel with a partially filled tank because of a thing known as "free surface". If your tank is long ways across your 'van, a lot of water suddenly going from one side to the other, may affect the stabillity. [sharp bends, round-a-bouts etc.].I say 'may' not 'will' as it depends on the construction of the particular 'van. Colin obviously takes precautions to avoid this. If the tank is full known as "pressed up" the movement of water is restricted, OR empty less weight to haul, so less fuel. Something for you to think about, cheers all, David Powell.[/QUOTE] Not usualy a problem as most tanks, fresh and waste, are similair size to fuel tanks, and low mounted.

Archived