Heavy rain- a blessing in disguise!

tonyclaire

Hi all. Viewed an Elddis 145 yesterday and we are gutted (some would say told you so). I know the weather this summer has ruined many plans for so many people but the vehicle we viewed had been driven from Coventry to Mansfield the day before probably through heavy downpours and lots of standing water (a good test). It is a 2011 Sunseeker and we had insisted the owner had the first habitation service carried out prior to us viewing it. No fewer than six areas of water ingress (one of our main cocerns) were identified with damp levels requiring immediate attention according to the hab report. As we have said previously we recognise these are entry level vans but how can such a new vehicle have so many defects? The dealership that sold it originally are prepared to carry out remedial work according to the Elddis warranty once Elddis approve this.If this work is done and guaranteed we are still tempted as it is the ideal van for us at a very good price. Just getting a bit frustrated with it all now. Have emailed Elddis but do not expect a satisfactory response.

Hi - welcome to the mad house! :-D

As has already been said, WALK AWAY!!!! It is one thing having to have repairs carried out on a van that you already own and which you don't really have a choice about, but altogether a different matter to willingly buy one knowing it has already had problems and then spend the rest of your 'ownership' of it worrying if you're going to have problems again ... or how well the existing ones have been rectified. A van that has damp in its structure could easily get worse especially if there are other areas that haven't been found yet!

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole (no pun intended :-D ).

If that's the type of layout you want have a look at other makes, or even the same make - there will be others about - and proceed as you have this time insisting on a proper habitation/damp check/report. Better to do this several times if necessary than just buy one that could cause you problems in the future.

Guest JudgeMental

So hopefully you are beginning to see the wood for the trees.

These UK brand are rubbish..stay well away

As has already been advised, your head should rule your heart.

There don't seem to be many alternatives to this Elddis model if you wanted to keep to a similar overall length. The Tribute T-625 or Swift Escape 622 might be possibilities.

http://www.toddsmotorhomes.co.uk/online_shop/trigano_ranges/trigano_ford_tribute_t-625_tri002.asp#

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/1920/pixindex.html

We had a similar dilema when we saw a Frankia. It was exactly what we wanted and the price was fair. Fortunately we saw it after a heavy downpour and the roof leaked like a sieve due to lots of items being removed. We decided to walk away and we were gutted. Four months down the line we happened to pass Brownhills and went in and found our Hymer. Same layout, similar price but much better condition.

Walk away from this one, you will find something else, as hard as it may seem.

Remember, "There will always be another motorhome" :-D

Hi

I can only assume you saw a poorly looked after one. Up until recently I had a Marquis Majestic 145 (same as Eldis, just a Dealer special) A superb van, excellent spec and no leaks/fault even in exceptionally heavy storms in France last year. If you do look at another, though I don't expect you will, look at the 2012 model as its far better equipped than the last version. Give it a try you may be surprised

Guest Tracker

Nowt wrong with most UK made vans. In over 40 years I've only ever had UK made vans (lots of 'em too!) and I've not had a leaker since the mid eighties!

Autosleeper, Autotrail and Autocruise seem to be best made with Swift/Bessacar and Eldiss less so but you only have to look at the new list prices to see that better quality costs more but is, in my view, well worth the extra cost used as well.

Age is less important than condition and if you want a recent van try and avoid the early (06 to 09) X250 Ducato/Boxer vans many of which had reverse gear judder issues which may or may not have been solved.

treborsiwel - 2012-07-15 9:43 PM

...I can only assume you saw a poorly looked after one...

I'm not quite sure how poorly you *could* look after a 2011 van,that makes it have 6 areas of water ingress to be honest...That must surely be down to the build quality/methods....?

(..unless they've been "green laning" with it.. (lol) )

As has been said by others,walk away and look at something else... ;-)

pepe63 - 2012-07-16 9:09 AM

I'm not quite sure how poorly you *could* look after a 2011 van that makes it have 6 areas of water ingress to be honest...That must surely be down to the build quality/methods....?

As has been said by others,walk away and look at something else... ;-)

I entirely agree. A vehicle just eighteen months old at the most......crazy. Someone at the factory must have been having a few too many tea breaks when that was built. Surely it must still be under some kind of warranty? If so then it's the original owners problem to get it sorted.....and one which I would not be happy about either. Either way it reflects very bad on Eldiss.

I would forget it and look elsewhere.

Archived