Tablet / Netbook - help please

Mel B

Colin Leake - 2012-07-14 10:49 PM

Our kids bought me an iPad for my 70th birthday. Thought it would prove to be a bit of gimik but love it now. It's so fast and convenient. I only use my rather slow old lap top when I need the conectivity for printing documents and photographs etc. It's all I take when we travel. Thinking of replacing my now very slow old lap top an all in one desktop.

Incidentally I got the so called police malware on the lap top last week. It's reckoned to be one of the worst around at the moment. Took me ages to get rid of it. Fortunately I managed to get into safe mode and then trawled through all the places the files could be hiding deleting any that were established at the date and time the problem occurred then did a final scan using malware. Don't believe any one who tells you it only comes from dubious site. I was searching for pet insurance at the time and failed to switch the computer off when it poped up in time!

Colin, try loading Fingerprint software from WWW.collobos.com onto your PC with the printer attached. It will broadcast the address/name of the printer so that your iPad can see the printer as if it were on the network.

The iPad and PC must share the same internet connection to work.

The free version prints a watermark on page 1 of any iPad doc or pay sub for full version.

Great simple piece of s/w to get round Apple's silly airprint scenario.

Dont think this has been mentioned yet. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3 in screen. Its a combination android phone, pad, E reader, 8 g camera and note pad. You can write on the screen, then save it or email it. Cost about £380 from Amazon or £21.50 a week for 2 years with 100 mins phone, any texts and half gig Data. I find it good but haven't tried e reader yet

Pete

I went through the same process eaelier in the year but in the end decided on a Samsung Netbook a I could have all my familiar software, plus being Window Starter OS its only 32 bit so older software will also work. Have to say that its worked out to be a good compromise and with the USB connectivity it gives greater flexibilty. Especially with WiFi as I can use a signal booster. Only having 1mb RAM its not the fasted machine out there! The compactness over an ordinary laptop wins hands down.

David

Guest JudgeMental
wife has bought me a Kindle touch 3G in NYC for £70, £170 here...She also bought an IPad for herself. they have no USB or memory card slot how useful is that! I said this to her, she said you have the cloud,,,,,,,,,,Indeed up in the clouds :-D

lennyhb - 2012-07-21 10:57 PM

Had my Samsung NC10 over 3 years can't live without it, agree with everything you say David.

I did add a dual boot to Linux very handy if you want to boot up for quick bit of browsing as it only takes a few seconds to boot.

I was in John Lewis the other day and noticed they had a Netbook which had 4 GB of ram which would help with the speed. What I dread with the Samsung is updates as they seem to take an age to update!

David

Klyne - 2012-07-22 8:08 PM

lennyhb - 2012-07-21 10:57 PM

Had my Samsung NC10 over 3 years can't live without it, agree with everything you say David.

I did add a dual boot to Linux very handy if you want to boot up for quick bit of browsing as it only takes a few seconds to boot.

I was in John Lewis the other day and noticed they had a Netbook which had 4 GB of ram which would help with the speed. What I dread with the Samsung is updates as they seem to take an age to update!

David

Memory upgrade for a netbook is usually very easy, and quite cheap. (the memory is normally very accessible under a flap)

The Samsung NC10, for instance, supports 2GB of memory (though it is a single slot, so an upgrade from 1GB would be a swap-out). A compatible 2GB module would be about £25, and should improve the speed a bit.

(I updated my Asus netbook to 2GB by swap-out when I purchased it - still going strong 3 years later).

As for speed, my Asus has a power management feature which, by default, slows the processor down on battery. Connecting to the mains, or overriding the default, can speed the machine up noticeably.

• 4 weeks later...

We've just got a NATPC M010S 8GB Android 4.4 to see how we got on, very cheap compared to what some people play but for what we want it should do nicely - it only cost us £55 delivered and has gone up a little bit since then.

Tablet

We've had it for a few days now and hubby thinks it is brilliant. We've also ordered a case/keyboard for it:

cover and keyboard

We've watched the sample movie on it and it is fantastic quality! The sound is very good too - we did check out some more expensive version 'in the flesh' but found their speakers absolutely abysmal.

So far very pleased with it indeed. :D

Hi Mel

I had the same problem as you. Net book or Tablet. I have bought a netbook, as it is windows compatable and I have loaded Microsoft office on to it. I use the word and excel a lot. I also prefer a key board,( looks like you bought one.) it appears a bit slow to get on the net, but decided that it was the right option for me.

OH has his Kindle , so he's happy to be able to download his books to that.We do have a lap top, so may take that in the van, as well. The net book is for taking on flying holidays!

Mel

Great choice. My partner and I have had them for a few months now and we think they're fantastic.

I use Super Keyboard Free which seems easier to use than the android keyboard when you're not using the plug-in. I also find Colornote very useful, both on the tablet and my phone.

They Sync really well to Gmail - all contacts, calender entries and messages update whenever you have a wireless connection.

If you have a problem with the device hanging (it's only happened once between us when I was updating some software) push and hold the power and volume up buttons together until it switches off. It's a general android feature for a soft boot.

I would be lost without mine.

Of course, you could have spent over 10 times the amount on an I-pad!

Peter

Archived