changing GBP to euro`s in france

Mickydripin

Hi all,

I am running out of euro`s while in France I have GBP`s and want to know has anybody brought euro`s while over here.

I am here for another 2 months and would like to know what is the best way of buying euro`s in France.

Can I buy them online and have them delivered over here

Or is it the only alternative to go to a bank or a post office that is if I can find one that will do it where I am in Les Sables D`olonne.

I do have a Lloyds debit card but surley there must be a better way than that.

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental

I would just go around local banks and compare rates and charges...

I dont know what kind of rates or charges your card has. Buying on line impractical on a camp-site I would think, and unlikely that they would deliver to anywhere other then address card registered to....

what do you usually do to withdraw funds? and what is the weather like! :-D

£ getting stronger all the time, @ 1.27 at the moment .

Profile PM

I would just go around local banks and compare rates and charges...

I dont know what kind of rates or charges your card has. Buying on line impractical on a camp-site I would think, and unlikely that they would deliver to anywhere other then address card registered to....

what do you usually do to withdraw funds? and what is the weather like!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well judge,

we brought quite a lot of euro`s with us but we have been enjoying ourselves traveling around the Vendee a lot as we brought our car on an a frame we were able to get out more and see more of France and even eat out more than we would have done plus the other half can not miss a bargain on the markets so funds have been shrinking a little.

the last two years we have been using our debit card to purchase items and getting cash but reading the posts on here we decided to buy euro`s this year before we left and that has saved us a lot (or have we spent more because we had it to spend).

As for the weather:

We were walking around Les Sables in bright sunshine the beach was full at 2030 tonight and it was georgous.

Had a quick cloud burst this morning and it is forcast to be very sunny this week (I hope) we have had our fair share of sun during last four weeks but we have had some rain as well except last friday that was exceptional it rained for six hours none stop.

we have been here since the last week in May and we can not complain.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Mike the way the exchange rate is going now just get out what you need as you go along. We are away in 3 weeks and I usually buy a lump of euro s and use Nationwide cards as we go along....Not going to get as much out this time, as the pundits are saying £ could reach 1.30

Have a great trip! :-D

Hello chums

vindiboy - I think he is on the way back now so may wan't to go the other way

Sorry to disappoint, still here in baking Sun and intending to stay awhile. but if I've got Euros left when we return, I will try to sell them privately en route

On the matter of acquiring any foreign currency. I'm sure there are other threads covering this, but my solution is the SAGA visa (credit) card and a Santander visa (debit) card linked to my "zero" account.

The cards are comission free and provide transactions at the mid rate (or pretty close, - sometimes depending on which bank the merchant uses)

The Santander card also provides for similar commission free / mid rate withdrawls from ATMs abroad.

Mickydripin - 2012-07-15 2:32 PM

Hi all,

I am running out of euro`s while in France I have GBP`s and want to know has anybody brought euro`s while over here.

I am here for another 2 months and would like to know what is the best way of buying euro`s in France.

Can I buy them online and have them delivered over here

Or is it the only alternative to go to a bank or a post office that is if I can find one that will do it where I am in Les Sables D`olonne.

I do have a Lloyds debit card but surley there must be a better way than that.

Mike.

Lloyds TSB's banking charges are listed here

http://www.lloydstsb.com/media/lloydstsb2004/pdfs/banking_charges_brochure.pdf

The charges relevant to obtaining cash from a non-UK ATM are as follows:

TRANSACTIONS ABROAD

CASH WITHDRAWALS AND PURCHASES

The amount is converted to sterling on the day it is processed by Visa using the exchange rate set by Visa plus a 2.99% foreign exchange fee

CASH WITHDRAWALS ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO:

Debit cards: 1.5% of the amount with a minimum transaction charge of £2.00 and a maximum charge for each transaction of £4.50.

Cashpoint® cards: 1.5% of the amount with a minimum transaction charge of £1.50. Please note: there is no maximum transaction fee.

To summarise, if you used your Lloyds TSB debit card to obtain euros via a 'fee-free' ATM in France, on the amount you withdrew Lloyds would charge you a 'foreign exchange' fee of 2.99%, PLUS a 'transaction fee' of between £2 and £4.50 depending on the amount. For example, if you obtained euros to the value of £250, Lloyds would charge you £7.48 + £3.75 = £11.23

Such charges might seem excessive, but the cost of the withdrawal-transactions overall may still be cheaper than swapping your GBPs for euros through a bank or bureau de change. Besides banks, some hotels/campsites will change money (GOOGLE on "bureau de change les sables d'olonne"), but I've no idea what exchange-rate they offer or what charges they might impose. Also beware of ATMs that set their own (lower) exchange rate (you should get a warning of this), as using such a machine would add even more to the cost of obtaining currency. (We tend to use "La Poste" ATMs as they don't set their own exchange-rate.)

As Hughmer says, there are a number UK debit/credit cards that can minimise the cost of obtaining currency abroad, but that's not going to help you during your present French trip. If you've got wads of GBPs with you, enough in value to last you for another 2 months in France, then swapping them for euros may be the sensible choice. If that's not the case, then using your Lloyds debit card may be your best bet.

If you plan to long-stay in France in future, I suggest you research how best to acquire foreign currency well before you set off. Individuals' requirements (and preferences) vary and, for me, buying a significant amount of foreign currency in the UK before travelling would be unattractive. But (like Hughmer) I have credit and debit cards that are charge-free when used abroad, so there's no real incentive to buy foreign currency in the UK in order to avoid the types of charge imposed by Lloyds.

Derek Uzzell - If you plan to long-stay in France in future, I suggest you research how best to acquire foreign currency well before you set off. .

-------------------------------------

My cousin who lives in France uses HSBC . She has a UK account into which her pension is paid. She transfers funds to the branch in Niort and withdraws in €.

I was interested to see how the transfer rate stacked up against the Santander card and the answer is not very well. HSBC's rate was £ = €1.23 on a transfer when the rate I got from the ATM was €1.26 - pretty much the mid rate just last week 12 July 2012

Cousin is not very web savvy - has never heard of money supermarket.com, and this was the best deal when she moved to France 6 years ago.....

The moral of this story is like Derek says --- Research ! (and I would add - keep it up to date)

We spent some time in Australasia earlier this year and all our cash came from the Santander card using ATMs. In all but one instance the funds were commission & spread free. The "one instance" was in a shopping mall and we saw an on screen warning that charges would be made, - so we used the next one along which was charge free.

No help at the moment, but I took advice in MMM some years ago and opened a Brit Line account with Credit Agricol. They have an English speaking call centre. I just transfer money from my HSBC account here to the Brit Line account about 5 days before going, get the banking rate, not tourist rate and am only charged £9.00 whatever the amount. Lets hope that rate keeps climbing, out of here in 34 sleeps!

Cheers Iain

Guest JudgeMental
nowtelse2do - 2012-07-16 6:52 PM

Kit Jucket, a currency strategist @ Societe Generale forecasts the £ will be worth £1.33 against the euro by next month.

I like this chaps thinking :-D

Dave

He is not alone....various pundits have been saying 1.30 for a while now

Guest JudgeMental
Mickydripin - 2012-07-17 10:28 PM

Hi all thanks for all your advice dont know which way I will go at the moment.

Mike.

Me neither ..got a lump of cash out last week to get euros. but with rates rising will just get 500 or so.

But what to do with cash leftover.....Back in the bank? or take it with me and change over the counter in bank.. I think back in bank......

Archived