Autosleeper Broadway EK

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

We will be looking at this 'un shortly and wonder if anyone has experience of a Broadway on a Fiat plus Alko chassis - they are usually on the Peugeot camper chassis - as well as with the 160 bhp engine with manual gearbox?

I seem to recall that the reversing woes did not affect the 3.0 ltr manual but the chassis build date will tell me more?

Does anyone have any experiences of all or any of the various aspects of the Broadway EK, Fiat/Alko, 160bhp + manual gearbox of this rather unusual (only 20 ever made specifically for Marquis I am told) combination please?

Thanks.

PS

Bikes now on hold until van sorted and spare payload confirmed by weighbridge.

Guest JudgeMental

From memory *-) only the auto versions were unaffected. And OK from 2010 onwards? ask Euroserve....

My 2011 model is fine, loosened up nicely now after 7000 mile and very happy with it.

You are referring to the Broadway EK Crown (deatails on link below)

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/uploads/brochures/Auto-Sleepers/Broadway%20Crown%20Flyer.pdf

Owners of 'X250' motorhomes fitted with the 3.0litre motor and manual gearbox did complain of problems experienced when reversing (juddering, burnt-out clutches, etc). The design of the 6-speed gearbox meant that no modifications (eg. altering gear ratios) were/are practicable, so checking the chassis build-date would be unproductive. Motorhomes with the 'automatic' version of that gearbox werre claimed not to have reversing problems.

Guest Tracker

Thanks Derek and Eddie.

Not quite Derek - this one similar but with side dinette -

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/used-Motorhomes/used-model/Properties/make-AUTO-SLEEPERS/berths-0/price-0/model-0/fuel-0/type-0/order-0/per-20/page-2/modelno-9927

However I was unaware that they are 4000 kg and being aged 68 I'm not sure that I really want all the faffing about with the driving license at age 70 plus do the ferries charge more for vans over 3500kg?

Guest JudgeMental
This is not what you were looking at before is it, as it has cab A/C. Why the hightop, thought you would be after a low line roof model. Looks very nice inside :-D

Guest Tracker

Low lines are OK and look good from outside!!

The one we looked at before was an EL but it was a Swift that we also considered that didn't have aircon! Confused? So am I!!

However, modern van design is by idiots who have never used a van or met the people who do and who thus waste space like it has gone out of fashion and don't create enough storage lockers internal or external or overcab lockers big enough to take Duvalays - which means a van with an overcab bed area which I can section off for storage.

Still - a low line with a small locker is a darned sight better than those ridiculous overcab skylights and no storage - perhaps designers don't sleep or ever need clean clothes! Designers eh - doncha just love 'em?? That's better - I do so enjoy a wee rant!

I've got one. 3.0 Fiat on Al-Ko chassis. Very pleased with it and have just done 7000 miles (had 8 miles on clock when i got it). Just loaded it up and put it over a weighbridge mainly to determine tyre pressures. Payload is massive (500 kilos individual axle and everything full 3560 all up with bikes on back as well from 4000 max) which suits us as we tend to throw everything in the van - I use it a lot to tow the boat to various sailing meetings.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Cheers!

Tracker - 2012-07-15 7:34 PM

Thanks Derek and Eddie.

Not quite Derek - this one similar but with side dinette -

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/used-Motorhomes/used-model/Properties/make-AUTO-SLEEPERS/berths-0/price-0/model-0/fuel-0/type-0/order-0/per-20/page-2/modelno-9927

However I was unaware that they are 4000 kg and being aged 68 I'm not sure that I really want all the faffing about with the driving license at age 70 plus do the ferries charge more for vans over 3500kg?

As far as I can see the 2010 vehicle in the Marquis advert you referred to has exactly the same interior layout as the model in Marquis's .pdf file - with a dinette on the right and a longitudinal sofa on the left. The presence of a 'dinette' is mentioned twice towards the top of the .pdf file's initial page

"This classic 4 berth layout offers a spacious and fully equipped high spec interior compromising (sic) an end kitchen layout with twin rear belted seats, half-dinette and lounge area towards the front of the vehicle."

"A unique opportunity to get a family layout with Dinette and Twin Rear Belted Seats on a 4000kg AL-KO chassis."

Dining would normally involve use of a free-standing table stored during travel in the wardrobe, though I guess a wall-attached removable table could be fitted easily enough should an owner so wish.

Broadway models are/were normally built on a 3500kg MAM chassis, so it's possible Auto-Sleepers opted for the 4-tonne Al-Ko chassis to gain extra payload. The .pdf file indicates that a Broadway EK Crown built on a 3500kg chassis would have a user-payload of just 124kg.

Water tank capacities of 78 litres (fresh) and 60 litres (waste) are hardly generous, but not unusually small for a UK-built motorhome. The gas-locker dimensions would restrict the size of refillable (and 'foreign') bottles that could be carried.

I'm not aware of any ferry operator calculating fares on a vehicle-weight-related basis - charging is normally based on vehicle dimensions (or type) alone.

Our Autosleeper Nuevo II EK was rated at 3300kgs , so I had SVTec do an uplift to 3500kgs the only difference between the Nuevo EK and Broadway EK is length of the seat / bed size and some extra cupboard / locker space, both end kitchen and washroom are the same fitments , ours is our 3rd motorhome and the best one by far.

If you happen to be in the Spalding area anytime you are welcome to pop in for a shufty pm me if you wish.

The Broadway is quite a bit longer than the Nuevo, plus he model in question has the dinette on one side. Apart from that and the different chassis it is substantially the same in terms of fittings etc.

In our Broadway we use the overcab as very useful storage for all sorts of stuff without any danger of overloading the axle even with a heavy Iveco engine. The dinette is very useful as the table which sits in the wardrobe is very light and a few seconds to put in place. The swivel table at the front gets a lot of use and the passenger seat is a favoured option for TV lounging with drink by the side. I get relegated to sitting on the bench behind the driver seat with my feet up which is almost as comfy. Gas bottles, I have 2x6 kilo gaslows but am thinking of getting a fixed LPG sometime if there is room underneath to free up a wet locker. External locker is a reasonable size anyway, with a recessed storage below it. Nice spare wheel under the rear complete with jack etc, but wouldn't like to put it to the test - even on an alloy, they are heavy wheels. Towbar and quite a few extras such as twin reverse cameras, solar panel etc fitted and I'm very pleased with the van. No judder and a great engine, even when towing

Archived