Sky TV with a CI Card?

Is there any simple way of receiving Sky Sports using my MH satelite dish and a 12/230volt TV with built in satelite tuner which has a CI+ card slot that takes a CAM and smart card? Or is this CI card slot useless for this purpose meaning I must buy a Sky box?

At home we receive Sky/Eurosport etc through our subscription to Virgin Media Cable Service so do not have a sky 'box' to 'relocate' to our motorhome when travelling.

Any advice on (legal) way to watch Sky with my set up would be appreciated.

Ian

Dave, don't BT Vision and Virgin systems 'resell' Sky premium channels (Sports/Movies) via their own platforms?

Thought this was one of the attractions of the 'competitors' ? ie you didnt need a subscription to those 'nasty' Sky people.

I always find it funny that people all want to watch the best Sport/Movies but find the business of actually paying for it abhorrent.

bolero boy - 2012-07-16 10:24 AM

Dave, don't BT Vision and Virgin systems 'resell' Sky premium channels (Sports/Movies) via their own platforms?

Thought this was one of the attractions of the 'competitors' ? ie you didnt need a subscription to those 'nasty' Sky people.

I always find it funny that people all want to watch the best Sport/Movies but find the business of actually paying for it abhorrent.

I really don't know Chris but if they do will it be any use in a motorhome?

D.

The short answer to your question is no!

You can receive the "Free to Air" channels from the Astra 2 satellites but the encrypted channels (that you need your sky card or) can only be received using a Sky box. The card is registered to the box as well as you therefore you can't use it in any other box ( even another Sky box).

Having said that - A card will work in another Sky box for many subscription channels apart from "Premium" channels i.e. Sports, Movies (other than the FTA or "Free To View").

The best bet would be to get a 12 volt Pace Sky receiver. Sometimes known as the Pace 1000 or Pace Javelin. These are no longer made but there is a second hand market for them. I note there is one on ebay at the mo.

Hi. Is it Sky sports that you want, or just Eurosport ? If it is just Eurosport you can receive free German Eurosport, ( in German with some English ) from the Astra I satellite 19.2* east. Just buy one of those cheap 12 / 230 volt free to air satellite receiver kits.

Brian B.

Dave Newell - 2012-07-16 12:28 PM

bolero boy - 2012-07-16 10:24 AM

I really don't know Chris but if they do will it be any use in a motorhome?

D.

None what so ever, Dave ;-)

Archived