VDO Dayton Sat Nav

56Rainbow

I've bought a van which has a VDO Dayton sat nav in it with no instructions. I've searched for them on the web but had no joy. Does anybody know where I can download a copy? Also I've tried to ring to update the system to coverage in Europe but again to no avail!

Any help or info would be appreciated

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen, we had a Bessacar with VDO fitted and cannot remember even having instructions as it was so simple to use. Reason for us not having another one was cost of the CDs which were £100 each when we had it. However it was a great tool . Does yours show your route and a smaller picture showing close up where you are?.PS it cost over a £1000 new.

Thanks for the help so far. Yes it does have a main screen whilst navigating plus a smaller one in the right hand corner. Did you manage to connect yours to the computer to update it? Mine does not have either an SD slot or a cable to connect to PC. I would like to unlock European maps

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen, we bought ours at a show many years ago and then they did not have a sd or connection to pc as far as i know. However I did mention about the CDs we had to buy to cover mainland Europe and as said they were £100 each, cannot remember how many we got but must have been at least 5.So £1500 for a satnav, whereas my tom tom 700 which we have had for 5/6 years was £400 with western europe. Apart from that still think it was a good unit. PS just remembered the CD unit went under the drivers seat has yours got that?.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to sideline it in favour of a portable unit from TomTom or Garmin.

Reasons? First the cost of mapping updates. Second, the technology is locked into the unit, so to fully update it you'd need to buy another. Third, either of the portables can be bought with lifetime map updates, published about four times yearly, so that maps are kept reasonably up-to-date at zero extra cost. You do pay a little more for these units initially, but they endlessly release new models, so what you buy will have the latest, or close to, technology.

As well as the maps, the operating systems and software of both can be updated, to keep the whole installation at peak performance.

They are now quite cheap for what you get. For example, I bought a Garmin unit in March, with lifetime maps and traffic included, for under £170. When it gets too long in the tooth to remain reliable, or the technology is surpassed, I'll simply buy another.

Also, the portable units with lifetime map updates allow you to install programmes on your PC so that you can view the mapping at a reasonable size, and create and transfer routes between PC and device.

Finally there are literally thousands of collections of points of interest such as campsites, aires, supermarkets etc etc that can be downloaded to the device, that it will navigate to on demand.

The built-in units can't be so easily updated, if at all, and you can't take one with you to find a restaurant when on foot/bike! If the unit you have also plays DVDs etc, just use it as a radio/DVD player, and get your navigation elsewhere.

I took a bank loan out in 2003 and bought a new VDO Dayton system which was an awesome bit of kit! I recently emailed VDO, in Amsterdam (I think), to ask them if the new generation of Europe maps would be compatible with my now dated instrument. They said not, but sent me a CD free of charge in order to update the software contained in it. This would allow me to use the new maps.

However, as Mr Kirby rightly says, for the cost of a new map, £160 I think they quoted, I was able to buy a Tom Tom Europe satnav which will do most of what the Dayton system can accomplish. By the way, I didn't get any instructions with mine which was brand new, but operation of these things is usually intuitive.

Archived