Safeguard Breakdown Cover-Response in Europe

Mike B.

Hi All

Just to let you know, had to use Safeguard Breakdown Cover on this trip and must say they were very responsive. Got through to an English speaking guy straight away, he looked up my location on his interactive map and sent someone out to me very quickly. In fact he was with me extremely quickly-he must have been passing by! about 7 mins to be exact. Unfortunately couldn't fix the problem and had to go to his garage about 5 miles away. After discussions with boss he did fix the problem (we thought) and sent us on our merry way-turned out he had fixed the symptom rather than the problem as it was a loose connection which caused same problem again after 45 mins. Another call out, another good response and this guy traced the fault as well as the symptom and problem sorted. Turned out to be a loose indicator wire on 13 pin plug which kept earthing but only when going round corners when wire was stretched.

So as for what was the service like?-very good response and I suppose as a breakdown service the roadside help was extremely good. Pity the first guy didn't fix the problem but couldn't fault the response. No problem whatsoever with second call for same problem either as has been discussed/queeried on here recently.

Taking into account the difference between insurance quotes I had and the fact Safeguards is all inclusive, I feel it is very good value for money and a very good service when you need it-will definitely renew with them next year

Mike

Some years back we had to use our Safeguard breakdown. They were with us within an hour confirmed the problem (this was on a Sunday just before lunch) loaded the Motorhome on to truck took us to a restaurant for lunch, where a taxi picked us up to take us to a Hotel. We did have to change Hotels on the second day but to a much more up market place, we had a hire car from the Monday morning till the Thursday when our vehicle was ready for collection, we had a taxi to the garage to pick up our vehicle. No complaints whatsoever, Safeguard real value for money. We had a quote from another company who said they could match safeguard, yes they did but wanted another £150 for Breakdown cover, thats not matching, in my book.

Guest JudgeMental
I have been with safeguard for years and have had them out twice and no problem with service..but surely these are just a network of third party garages and nothing much to do with safeguard, and I doubt the service much different which ever insurer you use?

Judge

What you have said is partly true, but what really matters is the Service Level Agreement that Safeguard have with their third-party rescuers and the manner and speed with which they pay them. A combination of carrot and stick will get the best results, as will careful vetting of the rescuers before engaging them to operate on Safeguard's behalf in the first place.

What I am saying is: organise it right and it will work right.

Guest JudgeMental
spospe - 2012-07-19 9:47 AM

Judge

What you have said is partly true, but what really matters is the Service Level Agreement that Safeguard have with their third-party rescuers and the manner and speed with which they pay them. A combination of carrot and stick will get the best results, as will careful vetting of the rescuers before engaging them to operate on Safeguard's behalf in the first place.

What I am saying is: organise it right and it will work right.

No argument with that...I find them a good insurer generally, and very easy to deal with, especially when you need repair/body work which can be a nightmare with a camper....

With Safeguard Breakdown cover what you will find is that you may have a 'reduced' service provided if you are over 3,500kg weight as this then takes you into the commercial recovery area and as such they don't normally provide a loan car, or pay hotel etc bills.

When we had the Rimor Sailer 645TC (over 7m) we were contemplating having it up-rated from 3500kg to 3850kg (paper exercise), but found that it changed our position with regard to breakdown in mainland Europe (with Safeguard insurance). Although it would still be covered fully to recover etc, it would mean our existing cover would not pay for a hire vehicle or hotel expenses as it then went into the 'commercial recovery' category which excluded these things.

As an aside, we were in the unfortunate position of having to make an insurance claim with Safeguard in 2008. We found them very courteous and, after an initial confusion (we'd never had to make a claim before so didn't know the way it worked), we had no problem at all. It took some time to get our van fixed but that was only due to the parts (windows) having to be sent from Italy. That was the first year we'd been with them (since February 2008) and we renewed with them last year - the premium had gone up quite a bit but this was due to us not being entitled to the 'new business' discount. However, after some ringing round I went back to them with the quotes I had and they were willing to match within a few pounds of a quote for nearly like for like cover (Safeguard being slightly better), so we stuck with them.

Mel, Have I understood you correctly ,only we have just gone with them again for the new one.

The old Bessie was 3800 and we had no probs when we called them out in France ,must say first class service .

I having been with them before did'nt really querie it this time I just assumed we would get the same service for the Cheiftain which is 5000.

One thing I will say is when talking to them re make and model they seemed to have no probs.

Archived