Pound plus shop

nightrider

When I went into my local Asian owned pound plus shop this morning looking for some plastic storage boxes, Mo the owner sidled up to me and pointed to my Golden Virginia tobacco in my shirt pocket. How much do you pay for your baccy? i said £7. 46 for a 25 gram pack from Asda.

He then said how about a 50 gram pack for £8. 50 and I'll thrown in 10 packs of Rizla ciggie papers how about that then? So I said ok you're on, all on the QT under the counter stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knight of the road - 2012-07-20 3:19 AM

When I went into my local Asian owned pound plus shop this morning looking for some plastic storage boxes, Mo the owner sidled up to me and pointed to my Golden Virginia tobacco in my shirt pocket. How much do you pay for your baccy? i said £7. 46 for a 25 gram pack from Asda.

He then said how about a 50 gram pack for £8. 50 and I'll thrown in 10 packs of Rizla ciggie papers how about that then? So I said ok you're on, all on the QT under the counter stuff.

I won't tell anyone.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2012-07-24 10:09 AM

It may not be the genuine stuff. Lots of TV coverage of gangs importing counterfeit stuff these days.

On the Self sufficient forum we are members of they grow their own Golden Virginia ;-).........and probably quit a lot of other types of smoking material as well 8-)

Ever thought that you are breaking the law, aiding and abetting smuggling. Of course that's OK for you to do but the tea leaf that helps himself to you CAT. is a despicable tyke. One law for you and not the same for other thieves. John *-)

Guest peter
That's a bit strong Mr Teflon2. Does that mean that I'm a thief by buying my baccy on the boat to santander for £5.40 instead of the £14+ in the u/k. The thieves are the government for ripping off it's citizens.

peter - 2012-07-25 10:55 PM

That's a bit strong Mr Teflon2. Does that mean that I'm a thief by buying my baccy on the boat to santander for £5.40 instead of the £14+ in the u/k. The thieves are the government for ripping off it's citizens.

I suppose Peter you could also ask the same question about filling up the fuel tank in France or Belgium before catching the ferry home.

I believe in having to pay tax but its the amount of tax that bugs me. There should be a rate for everything, but no more than say 15% instead of the legalised theft that the Government impose on us.

Dave

pepe63 - 2012-07-26 8:39 AM

...The point that has been made was that,the chances are this "cheap" tobacco is probaly either nicked, smuggled or conterfeit...

..and I would like to assume that tobacco sold "on the boat", would be none of these things.... ;-)

Absolutely right.

..and IF these are smuggled goods, the tax that is ' lost ' is made up by increasing the tax on something else.

:-(

nowtelse2do - 2012-07-26 11:51 AM

.... if the tax was lower the product would be cheaper so therefore no need for fake product...

Dave

I don't think that the counterfeiters/smugglers/thieves,are fulfilling a "need" out of the kindness of their hearts...they're in it to line their own pockets.

I don't think it's all down to the amount of duty on an item either.Even if these products were available "legit" for only £1 a packet,there would still be those willing to sell(and those willing to buy) dodgy,knock-off stuff for less!... *-)

If there were no "end users" for stolen or dodgy goods/items,then the initial crimes would be greatly diminished.... ;-)

nowtelse2do - 2012-07-26 11:51 AM

Totally agree with both pepe and Malc....BUT.! if the tax was lower the product would be cheaper so therefore no need for fake product and our government would collect tax instead of no tax. *-)

Something is better than nothing.

Dave

That is the argument that the government is using for lowering the top rate of tax for the super rich.

They reckon that if they don't make their taxes too high, more of them will pay.

( Yeah, right ! )

;-)

malc d - 2012-07-26 7:06 PM

That is the argument that the government is using for lowering the top rate of tax for the super rich.

They reckon that if they don't make their taxes too high, more of them will pay.

( Yeah, right ! )

;-)

The same argument can be said that if they have to pay high tax why not find somewhere where you don't pay high taxes. (why pay for highly taxed fags/spirits/booze/perfume etc, when I can get them cheaper, better still, get them at home and not having to go abroad)

There is logic in not taxing the rich to high, do it and they bu**er off and become tax exiles. Then the tax man gets sod all. Tax them within reason and its an encouragement to stay, (am I being a bit naive) (lol)

Dave

I have absolutely no problems in buying my baccy on the cheap from Mo (genuine gear) not snide baccy, I for one am sick and tired of paying through the nose for anything I need, everything one needs is subject to massive tax demands.

I have no doubt that lots of people buy all manner of goods that have fell off the back of a wagon, I personally dont buy stolen goods and the thousands of pounds worth of machinery I have is all straight and above board with all reciepts in my office.

Regularly I get pulled over by the police to prove where all my garden machines are from.

But you admit to buying stolen goods if the tax is not paid as due then you have aided and abetted the theft of revenue from the legitimate government leaving the honest of us to make up the shortfall. As I said before one law for you another for the the honest among us. John 8-) 8-)

Sorry Knight, on this occasion you are wrong and as bad as any other criminal, you are aiding and abetting a crime, not just legally but also morally. You are also helping the criminal that is supplying you to help bolster up serious organised criminals no better than drug dealers or pimps.

I on the other hand, along with the vast majority of honest citizens, just pay what taxes are due from me, not with happiness, but in the knowledge that for the whole country to survive the money has got to come from somewhere and I despise those that do not pay there dues whoever they are, rich or greedy, as they cause my contribution to be greater than it need be.

Bas

Guest pelmetman
Basil - 2012-08-04 7:27 PM

Sorry Knight, on this occasion you are wrong and as bad as any other criminal, you are aiding and abetting a crime, not just legally but also morally. You are also helping the criminal that is supplying you to help bolster up serious organised criminals no better than drug dealers or pimps.

I on the other hand, along with the vast majority of honest citizens, just pay what taxes are due from me, not with happiness, but in the knowledge that for the whole country to survive the money has got to come from somewhere and I despise those that do not pay there dues whoever they are, rich or greedy, as they cause my contribution to be greater than it need be.

Bas

You can hardly blame people for following the examples set by our Politicians or Police :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-04 7:45 PM

You can hardly blame people for following the examples set by our Politicians or Police :D

... and if enough people join in a tax avoiding crusade, this country could be as rich as Greece !

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-08-04 7:48 PM

... and if enough people join in a tax avoiding crusade, this country could be as rich as Greece !

;-)

The rich in Greece ain't suffering they've all moved to London *-)

pelmetman - 2012-08-04 7:51 PM

malc d - 2012-08-04 7:48 PM

;-)

The rich in Greece ain't suffering they've all moved to London *-)

Ah - I see - so you are planning on emigrating then ?

;-)

Guest pelmetman
Basil - 2012-08-04 8:02 PM

Still doesn't make it right and some of the criminal politicians are still in prison!

Bas

But if you compare their treatment to the rioters?.............hardly equal is it *-)...........

Plus how they manage to cover their tracks >:-( ............from Wiki.......Tony Blair's expenses were shredded 'by mistake' when they were the subject of a legal bid to have them published

Sadly I have no time for our corrupt system anymore *-)

Archived