water storage

uptonogood

I wouldn't fancy it myself. Some of the water we use while travelling could be a week two old so I don't drink it, but some people do.

But it seems to me that water that has been ' stagnant ' for a month would be most unpleasant.

We always drain / clean the tank out and dry it off after every trip.

uptonogood - 2012-07-20 10:22 PM

Thanks malc d

when you say dry off can you explain .

thanks

Our tank has a large cap through which we can get a hand inside to dry it off with a cloth, after draining.

In hot weather ( remember that ? ) it just dries out quickly itself.

We too drain off the water tank and the Truma boiler tank after every trip, I'd rather store the MH dry and although we don't use the water as drinking water per se you are always likely to ingest some when cleaning fruit & veg for instance...

We usually drain out the water tank, and before the next trip put in a watering can full of sterilising solution, and run that through the all the taps (except the filter tap). leave it in for a few days then flush through. Ready for the next trip out. (there is nothing worse than a bout of 'gippy tummy' in a motorhome !! been there done that !). Ray

ps. leaving what has been 'Flushed through' in the waste tank, sterilises that too.

• 3 weeks later...
Rayjsj - 2012-07-21 10:27 AMWe usually drain out the water tank, and before the next trip put in a watering can full of sterilising solution, and run that through the all the taps (except the filter tap). leave it in for a few days then flush through. Ready for the next trip out. (there is nothing worse than a bout of 'gippy tummy' in a motorhome !! been there done that !). Rayps. leaving what has been 'Flushed through' in the waste tank, sterilises that too.

Can I ask you what sterilising product you use and in what proportion please ?

Is there any products one should avoid, in order not to damage tanks and pipes ?

Thanks in advance

You are quite right one never empties a water tank at home, however the water it contains is a) constantly being replaced as you use hot water and b) not suitable as drinking water.

The only taps I understand to be safe to drink from are direct from the mains...

You are correct Draco and the manner in which you describe domestic use is exactly the same as my use in the MH with drinking water being from a bottle so the need to waste water by draining off is not there. Many older houses still have storage tanks with hot and cold taps being fed from the tank that are never cleaned.

I just get defeated by the unnecessary waste of water for no logical reason

Our Rapido has a 100 litre tank

We take a couple of 1 litre water bottles which we refill daily for drinking and cooking, so its as fresh as possible.

We carry minimal water 15 to 20 litres in the tank for general use.Toilet / wash hands / rinse crockery when traveling.

When on site we top up for the shower and by experience get this down to about 15 litres before we move off.

Only drain down when there is the promise of frost in the air !

Rgds

uptonogood - 2012-07-20 9:15 PM

Hi All,

When my motorhome is stored for a week or a month ,do a store it with water in the system or without?

your tips would be great thanks.

It's all about balencing risk, the longer you store water the greater the risk of promoting desease such as Legionella pneumophila, there is no definative time that I know of thats says such a desease will become a problem, personaly I draw the line at two weeks, we don't use the tank water for drinking.

You could try putting 2 or 3 Milton tablets into the fresh water tank when you fill up more than a week or two since last using the motorhome.

It makes sense to have a separate drinking water (and teeth rinsing water) container, though, just in case something nasty finds its way into the motorhome's tank.

colin - 2012-08-11 8:18 PM

Hi All,

When my motorhome is stored for a week or a month ,do a store it with water in the system or without?

It's all about balencing risk, the longer you store water the greater the risk of promoting desease such as Legionella pneumophila, there is no definative time that I know of thats says such a desease will become a problem, personaly I draw the line at two weeks, we don't use the tank water for drinking.

As I understand it, Legionnaires disease thrives in hot water or steam so I don't think it's likely in a cold water storage tanks.

Plenty of other bugs about though.

We too wouldn't drink water from our tank.

malc d - 2012-08-11 8:28 PM

colin - 2012-08-11 8:18 PM

Hi All,

As I understand it, Legionnaires disease thrives in hot water or steam so I don't think it's likely in a cold water storage tanks.

Plenty of other bugs about though.

We too wouldn't drink water from our tank.

You understand it wrong ;-)

Steam will kill legionnaries, 20 to 45 is it's prefered breeding temp.

Thee are products like Certisil Argento

http://www.all4boat.com/shop/boats-and-accessories/drinking-water/argento.html

that are intended to keep stored drinking water in a safe state for prolonged periods. (This product used to be the only sterillant specifically recommended by Truma.)

As my own motorhome is only used infrequently I always drain the complete water system after each trip, but, If the motorhome were being used more regularly (say weekly), I probably wouldn't bother.

A previous forum thread worth looking at

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25777&posts=27

drako - 2012-08-11 2:41 PM
Rayjsj - 2012-07-21 10:27 AMWe usually drain out the water tank, and before the next trip put in a watering can full of sterilising solution, and run that through the all the taps (except the filter tap). leave it in for a few days then flush through. Ready for the next trip out. (there is nothing worse than a bout of 'gippy tummy' in a motorhome !! been there done that !). Rayps. leaving what has been 'Flushed through' in the waste tank, sterilises that too.

Is there any products one should avoid, in order not to damage tanks and pipes ?

Thanks in advance

We use Puriclean : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puriclean-Water-Purifier-Caravans-Motorhomes/dp/B0018331N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344770996&sr=8-1The measures are on the pack, and we use warm water as recommended.We DO drink from our tank as we have a nature-pure seperate tap and filter system : http://generalecologyeurope.com/Nature-Pure.htmlFilters are expensive but only need changing once a year, system was already in our van when we bought it, we used to use bottled water, but found it a nuisance to keep lugging it around. as for 'ones to avoid' , i used to use milton, but found that calcium residue left in the water boiler overwinter had absorbed the chlorine and then 'ate' it's way through the plastic lined alloy water cylinder. (powerful stuff !!) so any chlorine based products, be wary of. Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-08-12 12:36 PM
drako - 2012-08-11 2:41 PM

Thanks in advance

We use Puriclean : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puriclean-Water-Purifier-Caravans-Motorhomes/dp/B0018331N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344770996&sr=8-1The measures are on the pack, and we use warm water as recommended.We DO drink from our tank as we have a nature-pure seperate tap and filter system : http://generalecologyeurope.com/Nature-Pure.htmlFilters are expensive but only need changing once a year, system was already in our van when we bought it, we used to use bottled water, but found it a nuisance to keep lugging it around. as for 'ones to avoid' , i used to use milton, but found that calcium residue left in the water boiler overwinter had absorbed the chlorine and then 'ate' it's way through the plastic lined alloy water cylinder. (powerful stuff !!) so any chlorine based products, be wary of. Ray

Thank you, very helpful.

:-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

You may want to have a look at how your filling connection and the resulting pipework is routed, as on our conversion a large bore semi-transparent length of filling pipe has a loop where it runs under the chassis to the tank that is impossible to ever fully drain, so even after draining down the rest of the system, this loop of pipe has water left in it probably a litre or more that can sit there for months and exposed to light which may or may not be a problem if you intend to drink it,

When filling with fresh water this "sitting" water gets mixed in with the fresh stuff, hence we only ever use a separate container for drinking water,or grab a bottle of drinking water if needed on the road. just in case it would create a problem.

Factor in the amount of water left hanging around in the pipework unless you pressure flush it out, and we simply would not fancy drinking it, horses for courses I guess, mind you I've only got to see a dodgy looking kebab and that's it for me..

Apart from that I drain down the system at the first sign of a frost, that's all.

Archived