Spare wheel carrier

chalky

Hi I have an Autosleeper symbol and i wonder if there is anyone out there that knows if it is possible to fit the spare wheel onto one of the rear doors or do you know of a company that can help, getting to old to get crawl under van. Thanks chalky.

Hi Chalky, Play it the easy way, call out the breakdown service. I just took my spare wheel off for MOT as it was perished. Putting the new one back in was a job for a strong young man not for a old sod like me. Even the ground felt harder than it ever did. I hope I will never need to get under there again as I have "Protec" puncture repair fluid in all my tyres, so should never get a flat.

Whatever you do sort out your spare wheel, jacking and tire condition BEFORE you go on holiday. You would be suprised how many owners have NEVER even seen their spare wheel. Bad design also means that you could find yourself in big trouble if assistance is not to hand. I run Mhome/Caravan tours to Morocco [www.desertdetours.com] Only last week, just as we got off the return ferry at Algeciras one of our clients got a flat [drove over the edge of a barrier]...... First problem, she [solo female] didn't know where any of the tools where...no problem we carry everything....but if we were not there? Second problem, jacks would not slide under the now lower Mhome.......We had to drive up unto the pavement and still use two jacks! Third problem, spare wheel clamp corroded.......loads of WD40 Forth problem, No way could we release the remote are line.......we had to cut it....... Fifth problem, tire was not only flat but also had puncture......we fixed it All this while it was chucking down with rain......only wet day for months! Ok, it's our job but another hour or so and she would have been on her own [Tours start and end at Algeciras]. So, check equipment and tire condition and perhaps most important will your jack [s] get under the vehicle AND lift it?

Or do what I have done: abandon the spare altogether (it was taking up too much space) and have the wheels injected with a sealant such as UltraSeal. This will solve the problem of punctures unless you seriously damage a tyre and rip it to shreds. In which case, call the local tyre emergency place, or your continental or UK call-out (included in my insurance for the whole of the EU). But do check the tyres at intervals and remove any large nails, etc., if present!

Or do what I have done: abandon the spare altogether (it was taking up too much space) and have the wheels injected with a sealant such as UltraSeal. This will solve the problem of punctures unless you seriously damage a tyre and rip it to shreds. In which case, call the local tyre emergency place, or your continental or UK call-out (included in my insurance for the whole of the EU). But do check the tyres at intervals and remove any large nails, etc., if present!

Archived