Beam Adaptors

John.N

You could try GOOGLE-ing on "Beam deflectors glue". this will retrieve plenty of entries including this earlier O&AL forum inquiry

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24145&posts=7

I would advise against use of a contact adhesive (assuming that's what you mean by Evostik) and - if you want to remove the deflectors later on - you should definitely not use an epoxy-resin adhesive like Araldite. Copydex might work though.

You need something that doesn't block the light, will adhere to the headlamp and the deflector (but not so firmly that the deflector cannot subsequently be removed) and won't be unduly affected by rain or heat produced by the headlamp bulb. Double-sided Sellotape is sometimes recommended, but comments suggest it's not a reliable solution.

This is a quote from a forum

"Two methods that I have successfully used to reuse beam deflectors are either to attach them to the lens using a thin film of clear bathroom sealant, or tape over the edges with transparent glazing tape. I don't advise use of sellotape it's not normally waterproof. I've not tried Bostic since it's a solvent based adhesive and may attack the deflector but it may be OK".

If you have to buy glue (say Copydex) specially to stick your old deflectors back on (with a fair chance they'll fall off subsequently), you might find it makes better financial sense to purchase new ones.

Seen people use Black sticky tape, cut to shape. Personaly I would invest in headlamp covers and stick beam deflectors to them, than you just take them of when in Uk. These also protect lights from stones.

coat about £45.00. We have been using ours for five years now.

PJay

PJay - 2012-07-22 12:37 PM

Seen people use Black sticky tape, cut to shape. Personaly I would invest in headlamp covers and stick beam deflectors to them, than you just take them of when in Uk. These also protect lights from stones.

coat about £45.00. We have been using ours for five years now.

PJay

That's all i've done with mine.....few pieces of insulating tape then cut to size. Cost less than 1pence. I once tried some beam deflectors (pricey things) but one blew off before i'd even crossed the Channel. You have to use a strong adhesive as OP has found out but then have the job of removing them.

The plastic lens covers are very good though when I was looking around at Duetto's I only ever saw one fitted with them. At £45 a pair that possibly explains the reason!

Not really sure why we make such a fuss about headlights in Europe when only here for a few weeks.

My son used to be ex-Forces based in Germany and took his car when he left. The laws there are quite straightforward. Any 'foreign' vehicle (UK built) is allowed to be driven with R/H headlight units for three months.....after which period they must be fitted with L/H units and also undergo a test to prove they have been changed.

AFAIK, the front of most headlamps is now polycarbonate, which is extremely strong, and unlikely to be affected by even the kind of stones etc that will "do" a windscreen. The need to protect the headlamps against damage is, IMO, minimal.

However, great care is needed with adhesives on any plastic as there can be unexpected reactions that result in crazing, or brittleness. These can take quite a long time to materialise, so the fact that nothing has happened yet, may not mean nothing will. IMO, it is mainly for this reason that it is preferable to fit clear protectors, and attach the deflectors to those, rather than to the headlamp itself. Then, it is also relatively easy to remove the protector, and the deflector with it, leaving the left dipping headlamps in their original, left dipping, condition.

Someone posted a while back saying that LHD deflectors are available for those visiting the UK (though apparently little used! :-)), I think on ferries, and suggesting the best overall solution was to buy these and mount them on the inside of the protectors, so reversed, in which position they operated as RHD deflectors and make cleaning the outside of the deflector that much easier.

I would not chance using any glue on headlamps.

I stuck the rear view mirror on my car windscreen using super glue, within a couple of weeks the windscreen cracked around the mirror.

I realise headlamps lenses are not the same material as windscreens but I still would not chance any glue unless it stated on the packet that it was safe for use with headlight deflectors.

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-22 7:07 PM

...Someone posted a while back saying that LHD deflectors are available for those visiting the UK (though apparently little used! :-)), I think on ferries, and suggesting the best overall solution was to buy these and mount them on the inside of the protectors, so reversed, in which position they operated as RHD deflectors and make cleaning the outside of the deflector that much easier.

That was Tony Jones.

"Eurolites" beam-deflectors are marketed to convert a left-dipping (UK) beam pattern for driving 'on the right', or to convert a right-dipping (Continental) beam pattern for driving 'on the left'. The deflectors themselves are, in fact, the same in both cases. It's the instructions provided with the UK or Continental Eurolites packs that differ according to how the deflectors should be oriented and where on the headlamps they should be positioned.

flicka - 2012-07-23 8:15 PM

For the cost of a new set of Eurolites, is it worth it ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Automobile-Association-Deflectors-Converters/dp/B005ERS9WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343070797&sr=8-1

Any glue will cost almost as much, but with unknown side effects, that could cost alot more.

I already have a selection of glues but in view of the uncertainty and type of headlamp glass I am inclined to agree with Flicka. Thank you all for your input and I apologise for taking up so much of your time over such a trivial expense. Subject closed.

flicka - 2012-07-23 8:15 PM

For the cost of a new set of Eurolites, is it worth it ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Automobile-Association-Deflectors-Converters/dp/B005ERS9WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343070797&sr=8-1

Any glue will cost almost as much, but with unknown side effects, that could cost alot more.

Or even cheaper from a e-bay-trading O&AL forum member:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EUROLITES-Headlamp-Converters-Beam-Benders-Adaptors-/370528692586?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56453b296a#ht_1116wt_794

;-) ;-)

i reguarly use, used beam deflecters,i use cheap double sided tape,£1.for big roll in pound shop.take them off as soon as possible,dont leave them on for long spells in winter camps.to remove glue left on lens,i use cloth dipped in white spirit,done this for years on merc.and fiat glass and plastic lenses.

If you look around port waiting areas, you often see discarded deflecters,left by other users,if you get there

before me! much cheaper than Halfords!!!

Archived