Oh I do love my power tools!!!!

Mel B

Those of you who have 'known' me on the forum for some time will be aware of my liking for power tools. :D

I have drills, saws etc, and recently hubby bought me an electric chain saw as I need to prune a willow contorta quite hard and I don't think my Black and Decker Scorpion will be up to the task (brilliant for the conifers etc though!). But today I got another 'new' toy that I've been wanting for a while - an electric mitre saw - new and boxed from a car boot sale for £30. As I'm going to be doing some tongue and groove half-height wall pannelling and some fencing, it will make it much quicker and easier.

Can't wait to get started!!! (lol)

ips - 2012-07-23 11:00 AM

but be careful with a chainsaw as they are unforgiving on soft flesh.

As are radial arm saws as my lack of a left thumb can testify. :-(

Ouch! I can empathise with you on that ... I nearly lost my left thumb when my dog bit it! *-) It was a long time ago on Christmas Eve afternoon and Father in Law had come round to drop a pork pie off (he worked at a bakery). Unfortunately he forgot that one of our dogs (Honey) didn't like crash helmets and he came through the front door still wearing it. As one of our other dogs (Pootle) recognised him she went up to greet him and Honey then realised who it was and for some reason got VERY jeolous and went for Pootle ... she bit her on the side once, and let go, then got her again, and let go again, then she lunged once more just as I was pushing Pootle out of the way into the lounge so instead of getting Pootle she accidentally bite my left hand and then stopped in her tracks with my thumb and first finger inside her mouth! *-)

Honey reaslied she'd done something wrong and just clammed up ... literally ... we couldn't get her off!!! Hubby broke a wooden spoon trying to prise her mouth open and in the end had to give her a good smack on the head to get her to let go. There was blood everywhere - my finger had a hole in it where her tooth had gone through, and the end of my thumb was just hanging by a small piece of skin. 8-)

After making sure that Pootle was okay and then Honey, as she didn't do it on purpose, a quick visit to the hospital was in order ... fortunately it didn't take long and once they'd cleaned the wounds they used tape to put the thumb back where it should be and then bandaged it up (they don't stitch dog bites apparently due to infection in case they have to clean them out etc again). I was given some very strong antibiotics which almost killed me (literally) as we had to call the doctor out a few days later as I was so ill. We still had a nice Christmas dinner etc as hubby had to cook it.

My thumb healed fortunately but has 'issues'! At least I don't get called stumpy! :D

Guest peter

Am I glad my wife's not into power tools. I wouldn't want her mooching around in my workshop. The only power tools a woman should be allowed to use are a whisk, kenwwod chef, coffee machine, dishwasher et al, :D

I'll get me coat and duck the flack. (lol)

peter - 2012-07-23 8:41 PM

Am I glad my wife's not into power tools. I wouldn't want her mooching around in my workshop. The only power tools a woman should be allowed to use are a whisk, kenwwod chef, coffee machine, dishwasher et al, :D

I'll get me coat and duck the flack. (lol)

No point in ducking Peter ... I'm a good shot!!! :D

Am I glad my wife's not into power tools. I wouldn't want her mooching around in my workshop. The only power tools a woman should be allowed to use are a whisk, kenwwod chef, coffee machine, dishwasher (lol)

There are of course others ............... but we wont go into that now. :$

Guest peter
How would you like to get in bed with a woman with knarled hands smelling of swarfega, never mind callouses and blisters. (lol)

Especially those power operated bungies eh Nicola - nasty wee beasties and almost as dangerous as a female Haggis in the rutting season!

Could it be argued that there are no dangerous tools, or roads (or bungies, come to that!) - but there are a lot of very dangerous people who are a menace to not only themselves but to everyone else out there in the real world?

peter - 2012-07-24 8:19 PM

How would you like to get in bed with a woman with knarled hands smelling of swarfega, never mind callouses and blisters. (lol)

Whatever turns you on peter! :D :$ ... you must really be grateful for anything in that case! (lol)

ips - 2012-07-24 8:46 AM

Am I glad my wife's not into power tools. I wouldn't want her mooching around in my workshop. The only power tools a woman should be allowed to use are a whisk, kenwwod chef, coffee machine, dishwasher (lol)

There are of course others ............... but we wont go into that now. :$

Nah, they're hubby's toys! He loves his halogen oven and slow cooker ... and his vacuum cleaner and washing machine (I haven't a clue how it works!) :D

Guest peter
Mel B - 2012-07-24 10:57 PM

Whatever turns you on peter! :D :$ ... you must really be grateful for anything in that case! (lol)

I am chuck, the callouses give her a better grip. :$ :D

peter - 2012-07-25 9:09 PM

Mel B - 2012-07-24 10:57 PM

I am chuck, the callouses give her a better grip. :$ :D

I always thought you were the type who liked a bit of the rough stuff!!! (lol)

Ahem ... back onto the subject of power tools ..... *-)

I've decided that I probably won't keep the electric chain saw - it's quite heavy and my trusty little B&D Scorpion does a brilliant job - I've just been hard-pruning a cherry tree that got way out of hand and also a maple and it worked very well on those, plus I can use it one handed, whereas a chain saw needs 2 hands and all the safety kit to go with it (which I was intending to get in case Brian is reading this! ;-) ). Whilst I can manage the Scorpion, I wouldn't feel happy with the much heavier chain saw (I don't have the strength in my arms that I used to :-( ) so best be safe than sorry. Before anyone asks, no hubby wouldn't do it instead ... you won't catch him 30ft up perched in a tree! :D

Archived