mercedes your opinion

duetto owner

we have autosleeper ford hi top transit. hope to move house next year and upgrade to a slightly larger camper van thinking about a autosleeper gloucester only seen on the web so far.

anyone got or had one can give an opinion good/bad etc.

what do people think of the mercedes as a base vehicle/ never driven one.

our transit is excellent drive but there seems to be a lack of fords around and just do not like the feel of the fiat/peugeot vehicles

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We Have an 06 Sprinter based Autotrail Mohican, I have found our Sprintshift to be the best engined motorhome we have had,  In the last Five years we have had two Fiat,s including a brand new one which had to have the reversing Modifications plus other problems not expected with a new Vehicle,(lesson learned) everything about the Merc says Quality, our third year of ownership covering 6000 miles without any problems at all,its a dream to drive ,Some dislike the air ride seat,we love them, wheelbase on ours is slightly narrower than the fiats etc but not noticeable, you will be buying the newer Model Mercedes Sprinter of which Ive heard no bad reports ,others may come along with what they know.?  all I would say to you is ask One the hundreds if not thousands of white vanman drivers about them , servicing is no more costlier than equivalent based models. Like all Motorhomes Take a Test Drive before you Buy,...Good Luck.& Safe Journey,s.

I saw the Autosleeper Gloucester on the web and thought it odd looking - like a guppy! However, when I saw one in the flesh I was very impressed. Well fitted and finished and very stylish. Felt at home as soon as I stepped inside.

Sadlt it was out of my price range.

I have only ever driven a sprinter once and that was some years ago but they seem to be the van of choice for many people.

Love the idea of the electric bed but not sure how practical it would be - also looks very narrow but that may just be the split mattress making it seem narrow.

I really think you should go and have a good look at one and if you can arrange a test drive - the only way to know for sure if it's for you. Other people's preferences are irrelevant - it's yours that matters

corky

thank you for the reply, we haved just returned from a long drive to marquis and back, interior looked good, [still has a disapointing smal fridge]. took a test drive dealer not keen on a test drive untill your ready to sign the dotted line but went out anyway. The drive was good like a ford , the seats were excellent in comfort.

most mercs seem to be auto like the one we test drove.

are the merc auto's thirsty like some automatic cars, the dealer said the fuel comsumption is similar to the manual as they have a new euro v5 engine.

can you comment on this point please abit worried going for an auto if its a fuel guzzler.

bolly the rear bed is a bit odd i am 6.4 and it was ok and comfy but the other half of it is ideal if the wife has only one leg as the cornor is cut away. but not a big problem just the two of us and the lounge area folds out into a double bed too.

the cost is very high hoping to use equity from downgrade in a house move from a house in pricy surrey to a bungalow in cheaper yorkshire.just got to find one we like in a nice area.

duetto owner - 2012-07-23 7:27 PMcorkythank you for the reply, we haved just returned from a long drive to marquis and back, interior looked good, [still has a disapointing smal fridge]. took a test drive dealer not keen on a test drive untill your ready to sign the dotted line but went out anyway. The drive was good like a ford , the seats were excellent in comfort.most mercs seem to be auto like the one we test drove.are the merc auto's thirsty like some automatic cars, the dealer said the fuel comsumption is similar to the manual as they have a new euro v5 engine.can you comment on this point please abit worried going for an auto if its a fuel guzzler.

Our,s is the Sprint shift Auto/manual, Fuel consumption depend,s on how heavy your right foot is, because the Sprinters as named will shift if you want them too, I drive around 60mph on Motorways (a relaxed speed) and dont tend to speed on Rural road and I get around 27 MPG which I am happy with for the size of the M/H, you will soon learn how to get the best from the Auto,  We will be keeping ours for years to come ,we have found our Ideal.  hope this is of Help.

Guest peter
Mel B - 2012-07-23 8:01 PM

As an aside, you'll find house prices in Lincolnshire cheaper than Yorkshire ... and it's quieter there! Just stay away from Boston as that's where the ogre lives (aka peter :D ).

Oi Mel what have I done to you. Our 4 bed bungalow is up for sale by the way and it's 9 miles out of boston.

I personally don't mind the corner cut off the bed - like to sleep with my feet out of the bed anyway!

All of Yorkshire is beautiful! especially the east coast - Whitby area in particular.

We recently stayed at Grassington in North Yorkshire and it's a beautiful area and house prices were surprisingly low compared to Bolton (which isn't all that!)

I drive a 3 litre diesel auto car and on runs get excellent MPG. Merc engine and gearbox). Not so brilliant commuting but then it's a massive car.

I think modern autos tend to be more fuel efficient than manuals - but they're clever - they learn your style of driving and adapt to suit

Good luck with the van and your move to the friendly north!.

corky

sorry a bit lost on your reply is yours auto or manual? we too cruise at 60 on a motorway only go up to 70 if in a hurry[rarley] and take our time when driving around london and country roads etc. grew out of boy racer mode many years ago.

apparently we need a special hose adapter to fil the water tank from a tap is your like this?

bolly

had a auto volvo many years ago and was good with fuel [petrol] then many years later [had an astra design auto which cunsumed petrol at a massive rate put me off autos. so want to make sure dont get caught out again we drive light footed and carefully but this did not help might just be a vauxhall problem though, know someone else with a auto vauxhall having same dreaful fuel consumotion problems.

hoping the merc is as good as the dealer said.

got a reply back from autosleeper the gloucester will do about 40 to a gallon and the auto 25% less about 30 to a gallon.

also full size fridge will be in the 2013 revamp which will be on show in oct 2012 at birmingham nec.

thats worth waiting for now wondering do i go auto or manual thats a lot of fuel difference on a long run.

strange how the dealer could not mention all this.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-07-23 8:51 PM

Mel B - 2012-07-23 8:01 PM

As an aside, you'll find house prices in Lincolnshire cheaper than Yorkshire ... and it's quieter there! Just stay away from Boston as that's where the ogre lives (aka peter :D ).

Oi Mel what have I done to you. Our 4 bed bungalow is up for sale by the way and it's 9 miles out of boston.

Gotta 3 bed house for sale....... with...............a garage for a coachbuilt campervan ;-)...........5 min's from the beach :D............Oh and some nice pelmets and the odd pouffe or two (lol)

duetto owner - 2012-07-23 7:33 PM

bolly the rear bed is a bit odd i am 6.4 and it was ok and comfy but the other half of it is ideal if the wife has only one leg as the cornor is cut away. but not a big problem just the two of us and the lounge area folds out into a double bed too.

the cost is very high hoping to use equity from downgrade in a house move from a house in pricy surrey to a bungalow in cheaper yorkshire.just got to find one we like in a nice area.

Currently staying in Yorkshire Dales. The houses look expensive here, with few amenities , also the weather is not so good. Believe the weather has been good down south to-day, not here , dull and windy, though NOT raining (usually rains every time we come )

duetto owner - 2012-07-24 4:30 PM

got a reply back from autosleeper the gloucester will do about 40 to a gallon and the auto 25% less about 30 to a gallon.

also full size fridge will be in the 2013 revamp which will be on show in oct 2012 at birmingham nec.

thats worth waiting for now wondering do i go auto or manual thats a lot of fuel difference on a long run.

strange how the dealer could not mention all this.

I think I would treat both figures with a pinch of salt! AFAIK, the Sprintshift is a robotised manual box. Haven't seen figures for the Merc, but the Fiat box is claimed to return slightly better fuel economy than most drivers can achieve with a manual box, because the electronics optimise gear selection and change intervals depending on how hard the accelerator is pressed. 40 MPG seems to me way to high for any 3.5 tonne van, I would think around 30 might be achievable with restrained driving, auto or manual, but only if you stick below 60 MPH. Go faster, and it will use more. Motorhomes have large frontal areas, which is the crude measure of air resistance, and most 3.5 tonne coachbuilts will weigh north of 2.8 tonnes unladen. There is a bit of streamlining around the cab, but the undersides of most vans are pretty rough, and there are too many bits of clutter on vans to disrupt airflow and add to friction.

If you like it, buy it, drive it, and enjoy it. Personally, I would be reluctant to pay a premium for a light commercial vehicle just because it is a Merc, they are all vans, and motorhomers don't have expensive down time to consider, nor do most of them cover 100,000 plus miles per year. They all suffer breakdowns, they all drink similar amounts, they all have to be serviced. As the driver, I'd be more interested in cab comfort and ergonomics, and as one of the occupants, I'd be strongly influenced by practicality of layout and aesthetics. If greatest comfort, the right layout, and looks I could cohabit with came with a three pointed star, so be it, but otherwise, I'd go where those other considerations led. I would also look very much more widely than Autosleepers for comparisons.

Our Pilote is based on Merc Sprinter 316. This has a five cylinder 2700cc engine developing 157bhp.

It will do 25mpg on a run if a speed of 55mph is not exceeded. I get is serviced at the Merc commercial dealers in Tewksbury (Mudie Bond) where the costs are very competitive and there is never any trouble about getting the right parts. They tell me that it is not unusual for them to see Sprinters that have done over 300,000 miles.

This is my third vehicle powered by a Mercedes engine and I cannot speak to highly of the quality of the vehicle components. The brakes are fantastic and the pulling power excellent.

H

Our Hampshire is about the same size as the Gloucester, it's coming up for the first mot having done only 14000 miles approximately and we can only achieve 24 - 25 mpg. I was told by the Mercedes people that the engine tends to loosen up after 18000 miles or so and then we could expect to get about 26 mpg.

I think Autosleeper's mpg figures are well off the mark.

Our Hampshire is about the same size as the Gloucester, it's coming up for the first mot having done only 14000 miles approximately and we can only achieve 24 - 25 mpg. I was told by the Mercedes people that the engine tends to loosen up after 18000 miles or so and then we could expect to get about 26 mpg.

Archived