Autoccruise Energy Management System

Cruisecontrol

The management system on my Wentoworth (made by Kigass Electronics - now defunct) indicates the fresh water tank as empty when in fact it is 1/4 full.. The system consequently shuts the pump off - hence no water. Even with a full tank the indicator shows just half full. Any advice on how to recalibrate? The display is fed from sensors within the tank which are sealed - I'm reluctant to break into this without advice on how to reseal etc.

Is your Autocruise Wentworth Pre or post Swift takeover ? If 'Post' then give Swift a ring (good luck !)

My Starlet 2 (starburst) is 'Pre', and Swift are 'not interested to the point of rudeness', So much so, that any replacement will definately NOT be a Swift product.

Problems with my 'Plug in Systems' (also defunct) power supply, resulted in trawling the internet, but a decent replacement and spares were found :

http://expluginsteve.co.uk/index.htm

Don't know if he can help you ? he does other panels and systems too. Ray

I note that you bought your Wentworth (a 2007 model) earlier this year and I assume its fresh-water tank contents-readout has been inaccurate since you acquired the vehicle.

I know nothing about the Kigass Electronics energy management system, though I notice that Autocruise replacement control-panels are advertised here

http://www.nrgmp.com/products/details/autocruise-energy-management-system-replacement-control-panel

(Though these may not be the Kigass product)

It may not be practicable to recalibrate the readout to match the actual contents of the water tank if the reason for the readout's inaccuracy is a problem with the sensors within the tank. (Can you recalibrate any of the other readouts?)

My Hobby's water-tank readout began to under-read when a certain level was reached and the cure involved reaching into the tank and cleaning the sensing 'probes' (easy enough to do with the Hobby). Without knowing how the wiring is connected to your tank sensors (and what type of sensor is used) I can't guess whether it would be possible to simulate a 'full' water tank by playing about with the wiring to try to establish if it's the control-panel or sensor-system that is to blame. Though, as the control-panel produces a reading that decreases as the water contents drop (OK, the readout's inaccurate, but at least there is a reading and it goes down!) I'd guess it's a sensor problem.

I think your best bet would be to seek advice from the Autocruise Owners Club

http://www.theautocruisers.com/

Incorrect reading of level in both fresh and waste water tanks is a problem often aired on forums. I was advised by dealer to use "Puriclean" in fresh tank leave overnight then pump through to waste tank leave overnight again, drain down and flush both tanks with fresh water. Worked a treat for me will now do twice a year.

Well that's really helpful and thanks. Yes it is pre Swift and a 2007 model Wentworth. I'd agree that it's most likely the sensors as when I purchased the van I'm pretty sure I had a max reading when full. Now when full it shows 3/4 dropping to 1/4 when empty. That seems to indicate that the system functions OK - it's just getting the wrong signals.

So the problem is how to access the sensors; the five wires go into what appears to be a sealed cap on the tank. I'm reluctant to remove it so I'll certainly try the Puriclean route first. Failing that perhaps the Autocruise club might know. Sounds as if it's worth joining.

Thanks again!

It sounds like your Wentworth has a probe-type water sensor an example of which is shown on the link below (though your sensor - like my Hobby's - is likely to have more probes)

http://www.telecodirect.co.uk/FRESH-WATER-TANK-SENSOR-PROBE-for-pc100

I've looked at my Hobby's sensor-fitting in the top surface of the water tank, but it's not obvious how it's held in the tank, nor how it's removed. I know it's fixed firmly as, when I cleaned the sensor probes, there was no sign of movement.

Some Swift Group advice regarding cleaning a probe-type water level sensor is on Page 47 of this .pdf

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/uploads/HandBooks/motorhomes/2012%20Motorhome%20Owners%20Handbook/08%20Services.pdf

This suggests that DIY removal/replacement should be relatively straightforward. I'm pretty sure the sensor-fitting does not screw into the tank and I'd guess it just pushes into an appropriate-diameter hole and (perhaps) a sealant of some kind makes the tank-to-sensor joint completely watertight.

If chemical (Puriclean) cleaning doesn't provide a cure, I don't think you should be too fearful of experimenting with how to remove the sensor-unit from the tank.

Thanks - yes I'm now also of the opinioin it's the probes. There are 5 in total, one being a reference probe (as described in the Swift manual). The unit itself is made in France (eau dear!) and certainly appears to be sealed rather than a screw thread. So if Puriclean doesn't work it's a case of "courage mon brave" and get on with it!

Hi cruise control, I live a couple of miles from you. I too have an autocruise wentworth (but 2005) with the same sensor problem only with the tank empty it now shows full. and is stuck there. Over the winter the system had been drained down, refilled for the new year, worked well, then the electric hot water heater element gave up the ghost and was replaced. The system was drained to do that and "I just had to check the reading" (stupid) where upon the meter went to full and has remained there. I'm now in the process of deciding what options there are. Just looked at a drawing of an MTT probe which shows the unit screwed from the inside into the top of the tank so I am about to go back outside to see whether ours is the same.

I imagine your tank is the same as mine, 6 inches deep and 90 litres. Access appears straight forward. Dolphin Motorhomes has suggested using a light scourer to clean the elements first to see whether that works. Will let you know.

Cruisecontrol - 2012-07-24 8:46 AM

Thanks - yes I'm now also of the opinioin it's the probes. There are 5 in total, one being a reference probe (as described in the Swift manual). The unit itself is made in France (eau dear!) and certainly appears to be sealed rather than a screw thread. So if Puriclean doesn't work it's a case of "courage mon brave" and get on with it!

French leisure-vehicle accessory catalogues and forums suggest that the fresh-water probe systems most commonly fitted to French motorhomes/caravans are Schieber or Inovtech branded (Presumably you now have a French manufacturer's name for your probe-unit?) However, though I can find plenty of photos of probe-units, I can't find anything to establish how they are installed in a water tank.

This lack of information may indicate that the installation method is self-evident. If that's the case, then (as mikeeboy infers) the probe-unit may have a threaded underbody and a 'nut' is screwed up that thread from inside the water-tank to hold the probe-unit firmly in place, with (probably) a soft 'washer' ensuring watertightness. This would make perfect sense, but would also mean that the 'nut' would need to be accessible from outside the tank to do it up. That's certainly the case with my Hobby, that has a large inspection/cleaning 'hatch' near the probe-unit through which I was able to reach the probes to clean them.

Mikeeboy says that accessing the probes on his Wentworth appears straightforward (I'm surprised that a 90 litre water-tank should be so shallow) so, if you can reach the probes and clean them with a scourer as Swift/Dolphin Motorhomes recommends, I'd put the Puriclean treatment on hold and try (carefully) scouring the probes first.

Hi Derek

Yes it is a Schieber unit, and yes it is accessible from the top cap on the tank. Too late for me to halt the Puriclean process, I'd already put it in over night, with no improvement.

The van has gone back to the dealer this morning for warrenty work, so I've given them the problem (not that I'm very optimistic about the result!)

So thank you very much for the information - worst case, if Schieber still make them, I'll have to buy a new unit.

These are links relating to the Scheiber water-tank contents-level measuring device.

This link provides a picture of a 5-probe Scheiber unit. You should note from the "MODELES SONDES JAUGES 12V/24V" information-section that four different units are available, for tank-depths of 300mm, 400mm, 500mm or 800mm.

http://www.scheiber.fr/images/pagesPDF/08002.pdf

This link includes installation-information for a Scheiber probe-unit. The wiring advice relates to a unit (for a 560mm tank-depth) that has just 3 wires - whereas more wires are evident in the previous link's picture and you've said that yours has 5 wires - but the fitting instructions confirm how the unit is installed.

1. Cut a 60mm-diameter hole in the tank's upper surface.

2. Place the sealing-washer on the probe-unit.

3. Insert the probe-unit in the 60mm hole.

4. From within the tank, tighten up the nut on the probe-unit's threaded underbody.

http://www.sen-bretagne.net/Documents/Lesherbiers-Jeanmonnet/EIE/Bateau/Sonde%20de%20niveau%20d'eau.pdf

Scheiber's website suggests that there are no official UK distributors for Scheiber products, but the probe-units are certainly still available in France.

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/eau-lavage/jauges-de-niveau-deau.html

Hopefully, if your dealership just gives the probes a careful cleaning as Swift recommends, the present readout inaccuracy will disappear. I recall that UK-based forum members have bought things on-line from Narbonne Accessoires (though postage/packing wasn't cheap) so, if probe-cleaning proves to be ineffective and obtaining a replacement probe-unit within the UK proves difficult, that may be the simplest solution.

As these probe-units are pretty simple in the way they work, if your probe-unit has been given a good 'scouring' and accurate readouts are still not produced, the fault may lie elsewhere and replacing the probe-unit then won't be a cure. As it now appears that it should be relatively straightforward to remove the probe-unit from the tank and test its functionality, I'd make certain it's the probe-unit that's the culprit before committing to replacing it.

(If 'scouring' doesn't effect a cure, try disconnecting the probe-unit's electrical plug from the wiring loom and then reconnecting it firmly. If that does no good, try doing the same thing on the rear of the motorhome's main control-panel.)

Derek

You are being really helpful - I can't thank you enough!

I've checked the terminals either end (but to no avail) so I hope the dealer will come up with a result. At least he was aware that the "approved" method is to remove and clean rather than rely on Puriclean.

Ironically, when I parked up partly on the kerb next to his premises I noted that instead of reading empty the indicator showed 1/4 full! Intense embarrassment! Nonetheless it does suggest something! Clearly the water was tipped to one side of the tank thus covering two probes - or the journey to the dealer agitated the cleaning action further and it all now works. But then pigs don't fly so I won't hold my breath!

We had the same problem on our Stardream. It turned out that the factory had either fitted the wrong sender or simply set up the various rods wrongly. You can do a quick fix by shorting two wires on the sender so that the control panel always thinks there's water there (but don't let the pump run for a long time once you really run out of water, even if it does say it has run-dry protection). The fix our dealer used was to fit a new sender in a new hole, leaving the old one in place. We can now use all our water - phew!

Assuming that you have a similar setup to ours, you can see how things are by using a mirror in the inspection hole in the top of the tank.

Archived