Long stays and Electricity useage

Mike B.

Hi All

Just weighing up my options for the winter and trying to decide whether to take a 'long stay discount' with electricity as an addition or to go with ASCI at slightly more expensive but electricity included.

The cost quoted is 41 euro cents per kilowat for electricty and would like to know how much you get for 41cents?!

I would be using fridge, batterycharger, slow cooker, TV + Sky plus on a daily basis and hairdryer/straighteners (Mrs not me!!) about 3 times a week-anyone any idea how many kilowats I would use in a week say?

Any help would be appreciated as haven't a clue how to calculate it.

Mike

Are you sure its included with the ACSI? The reason I ask is that we have stayed on sites with the ACSI card and discovered that only 4/5 kw per day is included in the ACSI price, beyond that your are metered. Its not always clear from the book.

David

Klyne - 2012-07-23 7:37 PM

Are you sure its included with the ACSI? The reason I ask is that we have stayed on sites with the ACSI card and discovered that only 4/5 kw per day is included in the ACSI price, beyond that your are metered. Its not always clear from the book.

David

Hi David

That's what I am trying to ascertain-if I would use more than the allowance etc. I don't have the luxury of electric heating or hot water (both on gas) so not sure how much I would use. 5 kw per day may be quite enough-dunno!!

Mike

Almost always you'll be better off using your own gas for hot water, cooking, heating, than site electric..........after all, your MH was actually designed to be a stand-alone vehicle; not one thta has to have umbilical cord every time you turn the engine off.

Add to that the fact that butane gas is massively cheaper "en Continent" than in Blighty (we pay €16.45....about 13 quid.... for a 12.5kgs bottle of gas), and for us it's a no-brainer in continental Europe.

We smile every time we see a Brit MH park up near us and immediately get the EHU cables out, as though they cannot live without mains electricity for even a few hours. £20k to £40 for all the independents systems in the vehicle, and yet it's not ever used without a mains cable. Seems nuts to me.

We almost NEVER use EHU; we use on-board gas water boiler, heating, cooking, showering, leisure battery and solar panels 12 volt lighting and TV and inverter; and all is good.

Hey ho........

Guest JudgeMental

On my recent trip to Spain it averaged out at £1.20 per day for electric.....So with a slow cooker maybe £2?

Was there April into may so no heating required.

http://www.vayacamping.net/en/prices.asp?par1=448  Rip off Costas ? I don't think so, when we used Campsites in Spain this was one of our favourites, Electricity was at additional cost if you wanted it but it worked out very cheap overall, the pitch costs were reduced greatly for stays over 30 nights, [Winter ] and also for  over 7 night stays, we don't use sites now as we have discovered the joys of wild camping and Spain is a great country to do this in.

Mike B. - 2012-07-23 7:24 PM

Hi All

Just weighing up my options for the winter and trying to decide whether to take a 'long stay discount' with electricity as an addition or to go with ASCI at slightly more expensive but electricity included.

The cost quoted is 41 euro cents per kilowat for electricty and would like to know how much you get for 41cents?!

I would be using fridge, batterycharger, slow cooker, TV + Sky plus on a daily basis and hairdryer/straighteners (Mrs not me!!) about 3 times a week-anyone any idea how many kilowats I would use in a week say?

Any help would be appreciated as haven't a clue how to calculate it.

Mike

You could get a rough idea by working it out. All your appliances will have a rating plate that says how many Watts they consume. 1kW for 1 hour = 1kWh, or 1 kilowatt hour, and it is 1kWh that will cost you €0.41. So, as a rough guide, if you take the Wattage of each appliance and multiply by the number of hours you expect to use it per week (e.g. if 600W [0.6kW] then 0.6 x 1 = 0.6kWh, x hours per day, x 7 = kWh per week), and add them all together, you will get an approximation of the your total consumption in kWh. Multiply that number by 0.41 and you'll have the weekly cost in Euros.

Where it will get far more speculative will be with the fridge and the battery charger/power pack. For the fridge, if Dometic (I assume the Thetford manual will have similar), the manual should quote a 24 hour consumption figure: for example ours is quoted at 2.5kWh @ 25C ambient. However, I suspect you will not get a continuous 25C, so somewhat less than 2.5kWh in practise.

The battery charger/power pack should also state what its consumption is. Again you'll need to make an assumption. Essentially, it will consume enough mains electricity to put back in the battery what you consume with lighting, and heater use, plus its quiescent consumption. If it helps, ours is rated at 250W, which is twice the consumption of the fridge. If it maintained full output for 24 hours it would therefore consume 6kWh. However, it will not be working at full rate continuously for 24 hours. How hard it actually works will depend on weather; the colder it becomes, the longer you will be likely to run the heater, the more it is overcast, the more you will need the lights. Maybe somewhere around the fridge consumption @ 2.5kWh as a starting assumption?

In the final analysis, there will be too much variability from the weather dependent items such as fridge and charger, that will be permanently connected, to be able to predict with any accuracy. My inclination would be to accept the €0.41 per kWh charge and monitor how it works out. Then, if you go again, you'll have an experience based target to shoot at in making your next forecast.

Guest pelmetman
We stayed in Calpe this January using the ACIS card, and that allowed a set amount of electric.....unfortunately I cant remember how much, but it made us be careful 8-).............when we paid up we'd had loads we could of used *-)...............with hindsight we should of just carried on as normal for the first week then got the meter read which would have given us a good guide *-)............Oh well you live an learn :D

pelmetman - 2012-07-24 4:02 PM

We stayed in Calpe this January using the ACIS card, and that allowed a set amount of electric.....unfortunately I cant remember how much, but it made us be careful 8-).............when we paid up we'd had loads we could of used *-)...............with hindsight we should of just carried on as normal for the first week then got the meter read which would have given us a good guide *-)............Oh well you live an learn :D

I think it's 4KW a day .Did the same, was careful with the electric, using the gas, and found we did not use our quota, also wi-fi bought 10 hours worth for 5 euros and did not use all of it, we stayed 2 weeks and of course it was hot, so no heating required, also the cheapest place for washing machines, 2 euros

PJay

Thank you all very much for your replies and experiences.

I reckon the best way to go for us is via ACSI assuming they are 12, 14, or 16 Euros next year again.

The best long stay quotes I have been given is 11.88 euros pn + electric at 41 cents per Kw, however this will probably go up because Spain have a VAT increase in September they say.

If ASCI stays same for next year, the site I fancy would be 12 euros pn including electricity + 6=7 discount-given that I won't be using electric for heating (as I can't-gas only) and working on Brians calculations, I should be ok within 4 kw per day-consequently 12 euros with ASCI would be the most cost effective.

The reason I want electricity really is to keep the batteries topped up as I don't have a solar panel-if I can keep them charged up, watch the telly and keep the beer/wine cold in the fridge within 4 kw pd then I'm happy.

Once again, thanks for the info

Mike

Mike -

I'm a little intrigued as to why you say that, if you are going to use EHU, that you can't use electricity for heating.

Like yours (I think) our blown-air Truma heater only works on gas, but all we did was to buy a small, cheap, electric fan heater of low wattage (two settings: 400 watt or 800 watt).

It only cost about €5 second-hand from a rastro (sort of car boot sale).

If we are ever on EHU in the colder months, we simply use that, on the LOW setting only, and it keeps the van lovely and warm.

So long as your on-board electric cables/system can handle the (say) 400 watts or so, then getting a small, low wattage electric heater would maybe solve your problem.......

johnnerontheroad - 2012-07-23 7:56 PM

Try some where like this electric included

http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/index.php/tarifas-y-precios-de-parcelas.html

I think you will find the electric is extra on the rip off costa's

Dave

Hi Dave

Checked this out and yes it's good at 9.88 euros pn but unfortunately electricity is not included for next year, so it's probably still better with ASCI

Mike

BGD - 2012-07-25 9:38 AM

Mike -

I'm a little intrigued as to why you say that, if you are going to use EHU, that you can't use electricity for heating.

Like yours (I think) our blown-air Truma heater only works on gas, but all we did was to buy a small, cheap, electric fan heater of low wattage (two settings: 400 watt or 800 watt).

It only cost about €5 second-hand from a rastro (sort of car boot sale).

If we are ever on EHU in the colder months, we simply use that, on the LOW setting only, and it keeps the van lovely and warm.

So long as your on-board electric cables/system can handle the (say) 400 watts or so, then getting a small, low wattage electric heater would maybe solve your problem.......

Aha-it's just me being numb! What I meant was that our van doesn't have the gas/electric heating systems for heating or water boiler that some of the more modern/expensive vans have-ours is only gas-to be honest, never thought of buying a small fan heater! Doh!!! Getting too old for this lark!

Mike

Mike B. - 2012-07-25 7:40 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2012-07-23 7:56 PM

Try some where like this electric included

http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/index.php/tarifas-y-precios-de-parcelas.html

I think you will find the electric is extra on the rip off costa's

Dave

Hi Dave

Checked this out and yes it's good at 9.88 euros pn but unfortunately electricity is not included for next year, so it's probably still better with ASCI

Mike

I think electric is included

"Incluye: 2 adultos, caravana/autocaravana/coche, agua, electricidad, conexión TV satélite y WIFI. "

" Includes: 2 adults, caravan / camper / car, water, electricity, satellite TV and WIFI connection."

Dave

Hi Dave

Got this back from the campsite today.

Thank you for contact us. That price 330€ per month is for minimum stay of one month, if you stay 3 months the price is 275€ per month, electricity is not included on the price this year.

If you have any question please contact us again.

Regards

Carmen Reina

Dpto.de Recepción

Camping Pinar San José

Zahora 17, Barbate 11159

Telf:956437030

Fax:956437174

www.campingpinarsanjose.com

Mike B. - 2012-07-25 10:18 PM

Hi Dave

Got this back from the campsite today.

Thank you for contact us. That price 330€ per month is for minimum stay of one month, if you stay 3 months the price is 275€ per month, electricity is not included on the price this year.

If you have any question please contact us again.

Regards

Carmen Reina

Dpto.de Recepción

Camping Pinar San José

Zahora 17, Barbate 11159

Telf:956437030

Fax:956437174

www.campingpinarsanjose.com

There was talk of it last year because Rvs were using aircon heaters and people had heaters in awnings the electric went off in the bottom end of the site where the long stays were at twice when we were there.

Dave

Archived