Hobby 55 ES / Hymer Exsis-i 562 / Hymer Van 562

vanbiker

Hi my name is John but I prefer JR

I have a Renault Master campervan at present, which was a jointers van until a couple of years ago. It has a hydraulic tail lift with a scooter on the back plus a push bike rack.

We have had a good couple of years of fun with the camper, but we recently had a couple of very cold and wet weeks. We are now seriously considering a motor home with the advantages of permanent seating, fixed (single beds) creature comforts (heating! AND hot water) and a garage for the scooter.

As we live in Guernsey and spend all our hols on the continent we are looking at a left hand drive vehicle. We have seen what appear to be some impressive offers in the German web site "Mobil.de".

We particularly like the three models listed above. Hobby 55 ES / Hymer Exsis-i 562 / Hymer Van 562. There are a number of sellers offering 2012 models at attractive prices. Some of them are ex Rental,

I would appreciate any advice and comments from owners of these vehicles, or from anyone who has experience of these vehicles. We need a narrow vehicle and these fit the bill as they are based on the Ford Chassis.

I would be happy to widen my selection if anyone has any advice about other suitable vehicles, being 2280 mm wide or less.

On a wider topic is Hobby better than Hymer? If so why?

Is the Hymer Exsis-I 562 likely to outlast the Hymer Van 562?

All replies would be appreciated.

My google email address is JRTBird2@gmail.com.

Thanks in anticipation

JR

Hi JR - firstly welcome to the mad house! :D

Secondly, I would recommend you edit your above post immediately and remove your email address - you get 30 mins to do this before it is 'locked in' so do it now, I'll explain why later.

vanbiker - 2012-07-23 8:20 PM..................................On a wider topic is Hobby better than Hymer? If so why?

Is the Hymer Exsis-I 562 likely to outlast the Hymer Van 562?

All replies would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

JR

To the first question, I would say no, though it depends what you mean by better. I think the latest version of the Hymer Van appears to have a better jointed coachbuilt body then the current version Hobby Van - based on what is visible from a normal eye level. (Haven't looked at the Hymer roof, but have at the Hobby, which enhances this impression.) Otherwise, I would say that, overall, Hymer build quality is better by a short head, but either is capable of producing a van with faults. If you get a duff example, it is the dealer who will be your key to eventual satisfaction.

To your second question, I would say the Exsis should be more durable, since more of the steel Ford bodyshell is eliminated. Hymer generally make a tidy A-class bodyshell, and they always seem to last well. The mechanical bits are in any case identical with all (Ford Transit), saving only what options/packs the manufacturers have decided to specify.

If the worst happens both have factory customer service centres, but I have no knowledge of how responsive they are. Hymer is based at Bad Waldsee, roughly half-way between Freiburg and Munich, while Hobby are at Fockbeck-Rendsburg, east of Keil, so neither is on your doorstep!

You might look also at Dethleffs Globebus variants, the Adria Compact - that I believe is still on sale in mainland Europe, and Knaus Van TI variants. These are Fiat Ducato based so come out a bit wider, in the region of 2150 - 2200 wide.

I have an EXSIS I 562.Absolutely brilliant ! I have had 3 Hymers and the Exsis compares very well with the other two which were more expensive.I also love the Ford Transit which is quieter and more economical ,34 mpg,than my previous Fiats.Would recommend that you visit Edgehill Motorhomes's

website an excellent family company with Exsis 562 in stock.

All the best.

Seadog 66

seadog66 - 2012-07-23 9:54 PM

I have an EXSIS I 562.Absolutely brilliant ! I have had 3 Hymers and the Exsis compares very well with the other two which were more expensive.I also love the Ford Transit which is quieter and more economical ,34 mpg,than my previous Fiats.Would recommend that you visit Edgehill Motorhomes's

website an excellent family company with Exsis 562 in stock.

All the best.

Seadog 66

After having a venerable Hymer sold for an Auto trail soon P.Xed for an Exsis ab fab!

Saw the new model last week however its on a Fiat and i approx half a metre longer

Guest JudgeMental

I was going to suggest the Adria compact also but Brian beat me to it, I dont like Aluminium clad campers (Hymer) to easily damaged. Have a look at all the hail damaged ones for sale on German sites., I think GRP walls and especially roof preferable.

The Düsseldorf motorhome show on at the end of August. a great chance to see all the new season vans at one show...

You get quite a few 636 metre panel vans that offer a bit more space and all you need I think...I would never go back to a coachbuilt after having a panel van for a year..

and here is one of the nicest ones, a La Strada with double floor (winterised) and rear garage, real top quality German van...

http://tinyurl.com/d5hp3cm

I had a Hymer 522 and took it to the customer service centre at Bad Waldsee to repair water leaks with had "sprung up" as we journeyed south from Ijmuiden. The service I received was fantastic. Without an appointment they took the Van in at 8.30 next day and spent the whole day repairing leaks and also fixing some other items e.g. connecting grey water tank sensor missed on production line. Cost 550 euros. So factory service great. Original build quality not legendary !!

Adding to earlier comments…

The sandwich-construction body panels of Hobby and Hymer coachbuilt motorhomes have aluminium outer skins, but Hymer’s construction methods are technically more advanced.

Hobby’s panel construction comprises traditional wood framework within the outer and inner skins, while Hymer panels have no wood in them. Consequently the type of damp problems that might afflict a Hobby motorhome won’t happen with a Hymer. In principle, then, one might expect a new Hymer to outlive a new Hobby.

Although all three models mentioned are Ford Transit-based, I’m uncertain whether they share the same chassis. I had a feeling that Hymer now used the Transit ‘camping-car’ ladder-frame chassis, whereas Hobby continued to build on a Transit platform-cab base. Probably doesn’t matter much, except the ladder-frame chassis may be more durable long-term (and is certainly lighter).

Evidently Hobby is dropping the Ford-based “Van” range for 2013 and, with Transit Mk 8 imminent, it may well be that other motorhome manufacturers will move away from Ford for a while. If Transit Mk 8 is radically different from the current Mk 7 (which seems probable), retail prices of Mk 7-based motorhomes may be affected.

Guest JudgeMental
PCC - 2012-07-24 4:31 PM

If width is critical you might want to wait to see the new hymer compact which is a little bit narrower than the motorhomes listed. I would expect it to be at Dusseldorf.

http://www.campingcarlesite.com/scoops-camping-car-hymer-compact-404-pxl-211_440.html

That looks real cute...the 640 twin bed one would be my choice. But if spending my money would still go for Adria compact as its a GPR shell and a lovely vehicle...

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I was not expecting any prompt response so I have only just read the replies, apologies for being a bit slow off the mark.

I'm leaning toward a Hymer Exsis-i 562, and note the comments about once having had an A class not wanting to go back to a coach built. They would both be a big improvement on the Renault Master but then again we have driven Tbird 2 places not much bigger than we would take our car.

I am a little concerned at the prospect of hail damage, but that seems to be rather pot luck. I know of a near new Adria (670 sport or similar) which was caught in a hailstorm, the large roof glass was smashed, (£400 +) and the 3 litre bonnet has golf ball size dents. How much damage does hail do, how frequently does it occur, and is it practicable to make insurance claims given that it might be damaged again on the way back from the repair shop?

A couple of other questions about the Hymer Exsis-i 562, whilst I have such a helpful audience, if we buy a German registered vehicle what sort of space and water heating is it likely to have (gas or electric or Gas & electric?) how well is it insulated if we were to use it to get to the alps in winter?

We may well head for the Dusseldorf show as we are planning our hols at the end of August, I will look for the date for the show, provided the weather is reasonable. Any advice on how to secure parking, on site (or failing that within scooter range - say 10 kms if there is somewhere nicer to stay off site, particularly if all the on site overnight stays are already taken, would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

JR :-)

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you explain the comment about removing my email account.

I will have a look to see if I can edit my original posting but that now seems unlikely.

The gmail account is not my usual email account and can be relatively easily ignored or deleted if there is a problem.

Thanks again

JR

vanbiker - 2012-07-24 11:22 PM

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you explain the comment about removing my email account.

I will have a look to see if I can edit my original posting but that now seems unlikely.

The gmail account is not my usual email account and can be relatively easily ignored or deleted if there is a problem.

Thanks again

JR

New forum members have sometimes innocently provided their one-and-only, use-for-everything, email address, which (potentially) may expose them to spam, phishing, etc. This is not best practice and providing a 'disposible' address (as you did) makes better sense. You won't now be able to remove your gmail address from your original posting (though the forum's Moderator might remove it if you asked) but, as you are happy to ignore any 'junk' that might go there, or to wipe the account in the unlikely event it proved necessary, the presence of the address in your posting shouldn't matter.

Returning to your choice of motorhome, you seem to have identified three 'non-negotiable' requirements - a maximum vehicle width of 2280mm, on-board storage for a scooter, and fixed single beds.

As far as I'm aware, the scooter-storage requirement will instantly exclude all panel-van conversions.

Quite a lot of coachbuilt motorhomes have been marketed in the last few years with a sub-2280mm width. Some of these will have 'garages'; some will have fixed single beds; some will have fixed single beds and garages. However, all of the 3 Hymer/Hobby designs you've mentioned are around 6.8 metres long and (being Transit FWD-based) have a 3500kg maximum overall weight, which may mean you have other criteria that must be met. Presumably you also have a maximum price in mind?

Even if it were practicable via an on-paper exercise to list reasonably-recent narrow-ish motorhomes with fixed single beds and a garage, questions would remain about whether the garage would be large enough to easily accommodate and load/unload your scooter and whether the garage is designed to take your scooter's weight (some motorhome garage floors have a surprisingly low load-bearing maximum).

Regarding your inquiry about heating, it's usual for motorhomes intended for Continental markets not to be fitted as standard with 230V heating, though gas/230V is often an option. Hymer's data for Exsis-i seem to indicate that gas-only heating is standard with diesel-fuelled heating as an option. There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest 230V heating is offered, though it quite likely would be provided on a RHD Exsis-i intended for the UK market. Insulation of the water system should be pretty good, but probably won't be as effective as for Hymer 'double-floor' A-class motorhomes.

Guest JudgeMental

needing a new window light one thing.....a complete new roof quite another.

Is a hail damaged roof covered by insurance? I think maybe not, going by the number that pop up for sale ...would you buy a used van with a damaged roof?

have been to Düsseldorf 3 times and weather has always been very good, apart from a thunderstorm one evening when we arrived.

If you come by camper the camping area is enormous with free bus service to show taking a few minutes

if you fly and stay in a hotel (I favour the red light district) just as easy to get there my train. And the old town is a great night out (the only bit of city we did not destroy)

I would just add to Derek's items that you may find the weight of the scooter behind the rear axle causes some traction problems for these FWD vans. If you look at even the twin single beds versions, they still have relatively long rear overhangs, and that is where the scooter would be. The result is that the load on the rear axle will be greater than the self-weight of the scooter (meaning you need to check carefully the effect on rear axle load), with the surplus weight deducted from the front axle load.

I would also caution that fitting a rack to the rear will inevitably reduce rear ground clearance leading to possible grounding problems. If you do this, you'd be wise to also anticipate a need for rear spring assisters, probably the air ride type.

Final thought is that the Hymer options lists have always been extremely lengthy, as are the number of "packs" on offer. In the past they have tended to offer winterisation packs with more powerful heating and enhanced insulation. German dealers do tend to go for "fully loaded" specs, but you'll be fairly unlikely to get exactly what you want off the forecourt, so you may have to order to get the exact spec you want.

Final, final, thought :-) is, if you intend driving it home from a German dealer, do check whether your insurer will cover you to do this. Most UK insurers won't, with the insurance only commencing when the vehicle is actually on UK soil. The German dealer can provide insurance with temporary export plates, but it is only third party, leaving you exposed to the additional risks on your drive home. You may be happy with this, or you may not! :-)

Guest JudgeMental
The dealer can arrange to deliver van to port for you if at all nervous about this. last quote I had when this cropped up before was 500€ but as you dont need export plates its only about £2 - 300 for those strictly of a nervous disposition...

Guest JudgeMental
vanbiker - 2012-07-25 6:24 PM

Thanks for the extra info on the Dusseldorf show. Do you have to book for the camping area, and what sort of facilities are there, showers toilets etc?

If you can just turn up I might give that a try.

JR

*-)

No you just turn up room for 1000's of vans. yes they have shower/toilet block. and music, beer, food and entertainment, its a great show, you will love it.....

have a look at their website:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.caravan-salon.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddusseldorf%2Bcaravan%2Bsalon%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D960%26bih%3D537%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=ezMQUMu9K4Wx0QWtkYDIDg&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQ7gEwAA

Guest JudgeMental
vanbiker - 2012-07-25 6:24 PM

Thanks for the extra info on the Dusseldorf show. Do you have to book for the camping area, and what sort of facilities are there, showers toilets etc?

If you can just turn up I might give that a try.

JR

*-)

No you just turn up room for 1000's of vans. yes they have shower/toilet block. and music, beer, food and entertainment, its a great show, you will love it.....

have a look at their website:

http://tinyurl.com/cjphyk3

• 2 months later...
vanbiker - 2012-07-25 12:17 AMMany thanks to everyone who replied. I was not expecting any prompt response so I have only just read the replies, apologies for being a bit slow off the mark. I'm leaning toward a Hymer Exsis-i 562, and note the comments about once having had an A class not wanting to go back to a coach built. They would both be a big improvement on the Renault Master but then again we have driven Tbird 2 places not much bigger than we would take our car. I am a little concerned at the prospect of hail damage, but that seems to be rather pot luck. I know of a near new Adria (670 sport or similar) which was caught in a hailstorm, the large roof glass was smashed, (£400 +) and the 3 litre bonnet has golf ball size dents. How much damage does hail do, how frequently does it occur, and is it practicable to make insurance claims given that it might be damaged again on the way back from the repair shop?A couple of other questions about the Hymer Exsis-i 562, whilst I have such a helpful audience, if we buy a German registered vehicle what sort of space and water heating is it likely to have (gas or electric or Gas & electric?) how well is it insulated if we were to use it to get to the alps in winter?We may well head for the Dusseldorf show as we are planning our hols at the end of August, I will look for the date for the show, provided the weather is reasonable. Any advice on how to secure parking, on site (or failing that within scooter range - say 10 kms if there is somewhere nicer to stay off site, particularly if all the on site overnight stays are already taken, would be appreciated.Thanks again to all those who responded. JR :-)

I have minor hail damage on my German sourced antique Hymer, I've been in the Auvergne when hail stones have been like golf balls and very scarey it is too, not something I had ever come across in the UK.

I note however that Hymer now offer an optional Polyester skin on the roof against this problem. For the Hymer Compact (Fiat base) 404 the cost (in France) is 493€ The heating would be a 6Kw Blown air gas powered, unlike UK sites, continental sites tend not to offer 16A hook ups, and with the amount of insulation and winterisation off the shelf that should be sufficient, a low cost convector heater could be a useful back up?

Archived