What electric kettle?

WildBill

We are getting the van better equiped for full timing and are thinking of buying an electric kettle to use when on hook up rather than our gas. We could just take the one from home but it is fast boil and probably uses too much juice. Any recommendations please? :-D

Guest pelmetman
We have a cheapo Tesco jobby, works fine, not tripped the leccy in Spain or France on its own.........just when we forget and have the electric toaster or cooker on as well :D

I have a 1000 watt kettle, bought in France, but I guess you can buy them in UK. Bigger than a travel kettle (Which I have for hotel holidays) fills my teapot , for 4 mugs , I am always careful not to use toaster or water heater at the same time, depends on wether the supply is 6 or 10 amps

PS I Take a toaster as the grill not so good, and also saves having to lift the cooker lid, which usually has things on it, same applies to using elec kettle

PJay

We went Plan B Use a gas kettle aand brought an induction hob.

About £60 for the hob, Boils a kettle in no time, varying amperages/ heats to suit supply on site and very little residual heat to worry about. Vertually touch warm after 5 mins after being off.

Probably the most useful item in the M.home (after the wife)

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-07-25 9:27 PM

We went Plan B Use a gas kettle aand brought an induction hob.

About £60 for the hob, Boils a kettle in no time, varying amperages/ heats to suit supply on site and very little residual heat to worry about. Vertually touch warm after 5 mins after being off.

Probably the most useful item in the M.home (after the wife)

Rgds

Yes, we have been wondering about an induction hob. Again it depends on how much juice they use. The only thing is that it is another thing to carry about in the MH but it will save us money on gas in uk. More to think about!!

If you go down the route of getting an induction hob make sure it IS an induction hob and not a halogen hob being called an induction hob (many foreign make ones are). A 'proper' induction hob shouldn't get hot except from the heat which the pan on top gives out whilst sat on it, the hob itself, even when turned on fully without anything sitting on it, should NOT get hot to the touch at all. A halogen hob, on the other hand, gets hot regardless of whether there is a pan on it or not. Personally of the two I prefer a halogen hob as they are cheaper and you don't end up having to buy loads of new pans to go with them (alumnium ones won't work on induction hobs).

However we have a normal type electric hob (solid hot-plate) and it works extremely well and soon cools down - the advantage of this over the above type hobs though is that, apart from being smaller and easier to store, it heats up and retains the heat for a long time, I can turn the hob off much sooner and leave the pan on to keep cooking/keep the contents warm - ideal if the electricity is metered! I also have a very old electric ring type hob - brilliant thing which heats up quickly and is very compact compared to the modern equivalent, it is my 'reserve' one in case the one we have in the van ever packs up and I can then replace it when we get home.

I took these readings with my trusty Screwfix AC Ammeter , Apologies for the layout but cutting n pasting from a spread sheet is not too easy on the reply page

Stella Induction Ring 240 Volt

Temp Watts Amps

On / Standby 96 0.4 (Connected but not switched on)

On Wakeup 960 4.0 (Initial startup position, but can be turned down immediately)

Warm 96 0.4

120 & 140 792 3.3

Low

160 792 3.3

180 960 4.0

Medium

200 1128 4.7

220 1320 5.5

High

240 1440 6.0

Rgds

Tried to change the layout, but the "Message" page does not display to the same format as the displayed page on the Forum

Mel B - 2012-07-25 11:08 PM

If you go down the route of getting an induction hob make sure it IS an induction hob and not a halogen hob being called an induction hob (many foreign make ones are). A 'proper' induction hob shouldn't get hot except from the heat which the pan on top gives out whilst sat on it, the hob itself, even when turned on fully without anything sitting on it, should NOT get hot to the touch at all. A halogen hob, on the other hand, gets hot regardless of whether there is a pan on it or not. Personally of the two I prefer a halogen hob as they are cheaper and you don't end up having to buy loads of new pans to go with them (alumnium ones won't work on induction hobs).

However we have a normal type electric hob (solid hot-plate) and it works extremely well and soon cools down - the advantage of this over the above type hobs though is that, apart from being smaller and easier to store, it heats up and retains the heat for a long time, I can turn the hob off much sooner and leave the pan on to keep cooking/keep the contents warm - ideal if the electricity is metered! I also have a very old electric ring type hob - brilliant thing which heats up quickly and is very compact compared to the modern equivalent, it is my 'reserve' one in case the one we have in the van ever packs up and I can then replace it when we get home.

Thanks for the advice Mel. We would probably prefer a halogen type hob but when searching for them they turn out to be induction hobs. Our friends who are full timing tuggers have a hotplate but regret not getting the halogen type.

Just as an aside, how big is your van or do you tow a trailer. You seem to collect everything lol.

WildBill - 2012-07-29 10:56 PM

Just as an aside, how big is your van or do you tow a trailer. You seem to collect everything lol.

:D We have a smaller MH than we used to have! We had a Rimor Sailer 645TC over 7m in lengh with a massive garage, we now have a Chausson Flash 04 at 5.99m and it still has a very decent sized garage. We do 'hoard' stuff but only take with us the stuff we think we'll need for each trip. What we take when going abroad and planning on staying on aires etc is different to what we'll take when holidaying in the UK.

When going abroad we'll take very little electrically powered stuff, usually just the small travel kettle and the hob, our canoes go with us as do our folding bikes, but we leave behind the freestanding awning as we're not usually in one spot/on a campsite to use it.

In the UK if we're using CLs we'll take the freestanding awning and possibly the larger bikes and maybe the electric toaster. If going to shows and staying on the showground then again we'll take the awning but not usually the canoes (more room for any goodies we may buy!).

When we had the Rimor we didn't have to worry about the size of stuff we took with us as the garage would swallow it up however we did have to be careful of the weight of it all as the Rimor had a much smaller payload than the Chausson, so although we could fit loads of stuff in the Rimor the Chausson can actually 'carry' more legally!

I wonder if others 'adapt' their payload/chattels depending on where/when they are travelling/holidaying or if they just take everything everywhere because they can?

Archived