Avoiding Low Emission Zones in Germany

ALAN G

How easy is it to avoid LEZs in Germany?

Are there warning signs at a reasonable distance from the start of the LEZ so that you can turn round?

I have a sketch map of Germany showing the cities that have LEZ but I can't find detailed/local maps to use: are there any available?

However, unless your van is not able to be classified (say pre Euro 4) I think it would be easier and safer to get the umweltplakette (AKA Feinstaubplakette) so that there is no doubt for the authorities, and no niggling concerns on your part. I got ours from TuV Sud in 2010 for €15 by post. Obtainable for €5 if you visit in person. All they required was a scanned copy of the V5C. See here: http://tinyurl.com/btnwcvn Explanation in English of what is required here: http://tinyurl.com/ydn9jtf

One thing to bear in mind is the way these zones are monitored.

I stayed in Reutlingen with friends for a few days in June. I was concerned because my van is over 3500 Kg & my German friend lives just on the edge of the zone. I was concerned that I would enter the zone driving to or from him.

He was quite adamant that the police have no interest or brief in enforcing these zones - it is only Council employees or parking wardens who do the enforcement. Therefore unless you park, you are unlikely to have problems.

Fortunately, I did not have to test the theory as I did not enter the zone. However, if you do enter a zone inadvertently, don't park - just drive on through & you will most likely be OK.

I would agree with most of what has been posted above, but I would recommend the Berlin city site for buying and Umweltplakette online, rather than Brian's TUV link.

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

€6 delivered in response to a scanned V5C document, payable by credit card, and generally a rapid response (for me and other posters here).

There are signs at the entry to each Umweltzone, denoting the emissions classes that are allowed. They are not always easy to see, however, but as has been pointed out, they are not monitored automatically (like London) and the fine is €40 even if you are apprehended, so it isn't quite as disastrous as straying into London.

All motorways passing through an Umweltzone are exempt, so if you are transitting this way, no need to worry. In addition, there are some exemptions for accessing campsites within a zone (but only be defined routes, so if you don't speak or translate German well, best not to rely on these).

If you haven't changed your 'van. I believe it is a 2001 Boxer base vehicle, which at best will probably only achieve "yellow" status. As many zones have now progressed to allowing only "green" vehicles, it may well not be worthwhile investing in a "plakette" as you will be debarred from entering many zones anyway.

Slightly off topic, but perhaps of general interest. The green Euro 4 plakette is the 'highest' that is in the system, so even if you have a Euro 5 van, you will still get a green Euro 4 sticker. There are no plans to have additional colours for higher Euro number.

Many thanks for all your very helpful replies.

Yes, Robinhood is right. The 'van is a 2001 Autoruise Vista (how did you know?) registered in April 2001 but with an engine built in October 2000. So is that a RED disc or a YELLOW one?

I see that, for this year at least, there are quite a few towns that I could enter with a YELLOW, so perhaps I'll apply for a sticker and get a definite answer.

The maps Porkbrain suggests look extremely helpful and could be vital when looking for diesel On the couple of occasions we have ventured into Germany we have found few service stations on main highways.

Archived