FAP M1 Internal Lock Type 1

gertie

Am I the only one to suffer the same spring breaking in this type of lock 4 times in 6 years? I am trying to trace the manufacturer to try to obtain replacement springs. The cost of a replacement lock is over £80 each time and surely replacement springs would be much much cheaper. Any clues out there please?

I am blessed with several spring manufacters in my area and they are, if not happy, willing to let me rumage through their odd springs box. I always find something.

I have also cadged a bit of spring steel and made my own, I suspect that your spring is made from flat steel?

If so nothing more than a bit of steel and a pair of pliers could have one made in a jiffy.

H

• 2 weeks later...

I will try to beg borrow or steal some spring material to make my own, but I still believe its a sin that a manufacturer does not either improve the spring quality of at least produce a replacement.

Thanks for your tip

FAP locks are Italian-made. This is a link to the FAP website:

http://www.fapweb.it/indexENG.html

If you are planning to contact FAP to see if they will provide you with replacement springs, you'll need to specify exactly which lock you want them for (there is a downloadable catalogue).

I wouldn't be too optimistic myself, but you never know your luck!

• 2 years later...

Archived