Mercedes woes

Guest Bill

Thanks Dave I really did not see how the merc and toyota vans I have seen on the motorway were not subjected to the same dirt / salt etc. Or do toyota van drivers like washing an waxing things more Thick letter font hurts my eyes - do they do this to anyone else reference a previous posting of Thai Bry?

Hmmmm.  They all compete in a crowded market.  Many, maybe most, are owned by fleet oparators.  They have to do three things: 1 be cheap to buy, 2 be cheap to run, and, 3 be reliable.  If Mercedes Sprinters, or whatever, are more expensive, but fail to be cheap to buy or run, they will lose market share to the others.  Mercedes then have to regain the advantage, either by reducing the price, increasing reliability, or shaving running costs.  The others, on the other hand, will look at Mercedes' price premium, which would go straight to their "bottom line" if they could get it, so will look at ways to do that.  As each new generation of vehcles comes in, the relativities shift. 2007 will be an odd year, since they almost all changed, so who currently has the laurel wreath is, as yet, impossible to tell.  After a couple of years, we'll see better.

What strikes me is that in the final analysis they are all commercial vehicles, not luxury cars, and are built for a tough, high mileage, working life.  If any of the current crop turns out to be a complete lemon, I'll be a bit surprised, there's just too much money at stake.

I think trying to pick winners among them is a bit pointless.  They are all, subtly, different, because they are all aimed at slightly different market sectors.  Sprinters do seem to be favoured by the courier and dispatch companies (speed and mileage?), whereas the Trannies seem to go to the builders (cheap to buy because they wreck them?), and the Sevels to small/medium companies, and traders such as plumbers and electricians (advantage of body width and loadspace fit out kits?).

Stick a motorhome body on any, and I seriously doubt if there is really a significant advantage between one and another, except the driving experience.  In reality, they are all pretty good.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2007-06-12 12:56 PM

Hmmmm. They all compete in a crowded market. Many, maybe most, are owned by fleet oparators. They have to do three things: 1 be cheap to buy, 2 be cheap to run, and, 3 be reliable. If Mercedes Sprinters, or whatever, are more expensive, but fail to be cheap to buy or run, they will lose market share to the others.

[/QUOTE] Absolutely correct Brian but, while important, these are not the only issues for fleet operators. Just as important is payload, the options list and size/access to the cargo area and sometimes the size of the vehicle. Most fleet operators will not consider a van that cannot for instance take a standard size pallet or have the facility to fit a refrigeration unit. We had to purchase a number of Leyland Constructors although the company had a Volve and Scania policy because the Constructor was, at that time, the only vehicle narrow enough to access and service some customers with restricted access. Similarly for the Coachbuilders there are a number of issues such as whether a Chassis Cab or Chassis cowl is in the range, weight capacity and more recently whether a special Motor Caravan version can be supplied (ie. Fiat Ducato). Regards, Mike.

yes I've got a S reg Sprinter, a La Strada Regent L, brilliant van, had it since may 2000. But at easter 2001 near Antwerp, the steering rack failed as we tried to leave the campsite we found we could only turn left!!!! A bit of a shock for the couple sat outside the tent at the t junction on the campsite. When we returned to the UK and to our local garage, (right hand drive parts would take a week in Belgium), my mate rang around and found that all his local parts people had a sprinter steering rack, leading him to believe that their must be a demand for them. The local mercedes dealer took up my case and mercedes uk paid half the cost, (for German van, ie,. not imported by Mercedes UK) thus I paid roughly what my mate would have charged me at a non mercedes dealer. By the way we had exemplary service from Comfort insurance and the RAC, although the they did tend to overcomplicate things a bit with car hire and a central hotel for a couple of nights. Yes the van is a 2.9 turbo, excellent straight line but a bit of a brute some times in the corners, dinghy sailing experience comes in useful and off cambered french roundabouts are a pig. We've alot of weight up in the roof with the A Class bed, but so easy to make at bed time. Lots of load capacity, good for the wine. Might need more internal space tho when wife retires and we can spend longer periods away when weather not so good. :-) Otherwise had no problems with it, just servicing

Archived