Need your opinion again please

tonyclaire

Despite everything we have said previously re our preferred first van and layout (Elddiss 145) we have taken on board all your advice and may go and view a 2007 Burstner Solano T615 tomorrow. It has everything we 'thought' we did not want but we have learnt to broaden our minds and look at older (but better quality vans). It is on the Fiat 2.3 jtd. Does this fall into the "reverse juddergate" group of vehicles and if so is it a major issue? Any advice on Burstner generally please.

We looked at a couple of Burstner and Dethleffs vans this week and the build quality and finish is superb when compared with the budget UK models like Elldis and Swift group.

Nevertheless they too like all makes have good points, bad points, foibles and characteristics which don't appeal to all so it pays to check the layout and spec very carefully before parting with any of your hard earned cash!

Autocruise, especially those pre 2008 ish when Swift took over are better made as are Autosleepers and Auto Trail in my humble experience.

The fixed bed half dinette layouts were not right for us but I would have happily paid the same price for a four year old quality van as for a new(ish) budget van had the layout been what we sought.

2007 Fiat? It may or may not judder? Some did - some didn't? I don't know if RHD base vans for German build were affected as much as UK spec vans fro UK build - or even if they differ? There might be a record of the Fiat bodge - sorry - I meant fix - which might or might not have been applied to reduce the impact of an overly high reverse gear ratio involved modifying engine mounts among other things (which senior moments prevent me from recalling!) prior to a revised transmission . If you can contact the previous owner(s) via the V5 record it is worth asking?

I've driven several this year all from 2009 onwards and although a little light on all the controls they all drive well and reverse OK. The 100 bhp engine with 5 speed drives fine and pulls well but for some the extra 30 bhp of the 130 bhp 2.3 6 speed is worth the subjectively marginal extra harshness. The 160 bhp is a real flyer and can, in a coachbuilt with rear overhang, be a bit of a handful at times until you get used to it. Watch out in rain snow and ice with the 160 as wheelspin is so easy to invoke on a wet road. Short trip mpg recorded on the trip computer can be misleading but the 100 impressed and the 160 alarmed me with the 130 falling between the two!

Just to expand Tracker's post.

The Autocruise low profile coachbuilt range from late 2008 onward to their withdrawal by Swift's, were available on both the Fiat & Peugeot base.

Any Fiat 2.0 & 2.3litre plus a small no. of the 3.0litre manuals, Peugeot 2.2litre or Citroen2.2litre post new model introduction late 2006 until early 2009 Sevel BUILD date,could have suffered juddergate, but they should have been "fixed".

The Fiat 2.3 litre appeared to be the most reported, but that was also the most common unit.

If looking at 2009 (or even some 2010) reg. models remember the base vehicle could be 2008 build.

I think the Burstner Solano t615 may have been built on the Fiat Ducato X244 and the (current) X250 chassis, though one might expect a 2007 version to be on the latter. There's a picture of a 2007 Fiat X250 t615 here

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105201215/burstner-solano-t615.html

If that's version tonyclaire is considering purchasing, then it's also the version that the 'in-reverse juddering' fiasco related to - and vehicles with the 2.3litre motor were generally acknowledged to have been the most prone.

Whether it's a "major issue" is arguable. A vehicle with a high reverse-gear ratio will always be more challenging to reverse than one with a low ratio. After 5 years of use, if a test-drive of the Solano reveals no peculiarities when reversing, then it's probably OK. If it shakes like hell when going backwards up even the mildest slope, or the clutch shows signs of slipping, then don't buy the vehicle.

Hi there;

we had our PVC "de-juddered" at a Fiat Commercial garage, and all details of that repair/mod are on the Fiat database.

With the registration details you should be able to establish whether the vehicle you are looking at has been dealt with, should only take a telephone call,

It would be worth obtaining reg details before you pop along with your piggy-bank!!

regards

alan b

Archived