Olympics?

Tracker

Is it me, or is anyone else finding the opening, and I use this word with caution - 'ceremony' - cringeworthily embarrassing, inappropriate in parts and out of context at a worldwide sporting festival?

What must the rest of the world be thinking after just half an hour?

Are we a nation living in the past, obsessed with war and away with the fairies in peacetime.

I wonder what HM The Queen made of her double jumping out of a helicopter?

But at least James Bond is an actual person!!

Anyone else in the world who did not know about our great NHS and the benefits of a free at the point of delivery service surely does now.

Sorry Rich - have to disagree with yo on this one.

I thought the whole three hours plus was pretty spectacular. Loved the representation of the evoltion of the Industrial Revolution - and when the ring being worked on in the arena floated up to join the other 4 coming together in the sky - Stunning!! I thought the Author JK Rowling was excellent - reading from Peter Pan - whose royalties go to GOSH was well thought out and provided the link to the NHS. All in all a great spectacle - and one that deserves praise - I think it went well tho' the camera work tended to focus on small bits rather than pulling back to get the bigger picture - which from the feedback of those there was trully amazing

The remembrance bit for the horrific attacks on London just days after the Games were awarded to London was appropriate and underlined the fact that despite what the loonies try and do - carrying on is part of what we are and very much about who we are. I really enjoyed it.

Generally I enjoyed watching the event, don't know why; however there were several parts that I found difficult to follow, so I guess many millions of viewers would have been perplexed and switched over to watch Friends or some other US rubbish.

At least there was no sign of Boris, if there had have been, someone no doubt would have been detailed to velcro his shirt into his trousers. Finally there must be someone who commissions performers for shows somewhere who now realises that McCartney can no longer sing! Now don't get me on the subject of the Arctic Monkeys??? what was that about, British music industry??

Overall, 7 out of 10 for effort, could have done better. Off to watch Cavo and Co, proper sport.

Generally I enjoyed watching the event, don't know why; however there were several parts that I found difficult to follow, so I guess many millions of viewers would have been perplexed and switched over to watch Friends or some other US rubbish.

At least there was no sign of Boris, if there had have been, someone no doubt would have been detailed to velcro his shirt into his trousers. Finally there must be someone who commissions performers for shows somewhere who now realises that McCartney can no longer sing! Now don't get me on the subject of the Arctic Monkeys??? what was that about, British music industry??

Overall, 7 out of 10 for effort, could have done better. Off to watch Cavo and Co, proper sport.

I started watching with no intention of carrying on, and became spellbound!

The breadth, the reach, the imagination, the symbolism; all those little references to things, events, places, stories (anyone spot the Wind in the Willows?) and events; the technical brilliance, plus the sheer competence of the choreography and the volunteer performers, was superb.

I had great apprehension before it started, but I have to say in retrospect I think Danny Boyle achieved something truly transcendent. It may to some extent have been a bit warm, fuzzy, and mythological, but it was definitely, heartwarmingly, the country in which I live. No pomp, no jingoism, funny at times, at others technically stunning, and beyond all, it worked flawlessly. A one off show on that scale, with that audience, with all that potentially faulty technology, and its amateur cast of thousands, that just came together on the night and was, as far as I could see, flawless, is a remarkable achievement by all concerned.

However, I agree it is definitely time for McCartney either to stop altogether, or to recognise he can no longer sing what he used to sing! As a finale, that was excruciatingly embarrassing. Shame. I also found myself continually yelling at the three BBC voice-overs to shut up and leave it to my intuition to work it out. No wonder Boyle objected! How can there be "Isles of Wonder", if no-one is allowed the mental space to wonder?

But, to answer Rich's question, it is definitely YOU! :-D

Yes I agree totally with you Brian on Paul McCartney. Not sure if he comes over better "Live" - i.e. if you are actually there. But this and the Jubilee concert were enough to indicate his time has come. In contrast at the Jubilee concert - Tom Jones was stunningly good. And was it me during the silly BBC voice overs that they waited for the announcements to be in English before cutting right across!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But like you - overall I expected to be wondering off and/or finding my book - but instead I was hooked.

I think the whole event was a triumph overall.

We found the best viewing was to re-run the event several times, only then did the unusual scenes fall into place when the viewer could see further across the arena . We decided many moons ago that to try and improve on the Chinese display was impossible and the only way forward was to 'start again' which, I think you will agree was aproximately what was achieved. To continually add glitter and sparkle was somehow not the way to go.

Perhaps Brazil in 2016 will be showing off their ... fruit ... sugar ... nuts ... and dance. What a colourful show that will be, I do hope we are still around. (and I thought that 12 years ago)

Mrs T

I agree with Brian, it was fan-bloody-tastic! What's more no-one other than those who took part knew anything about the content which is an amazing feat in itself. I gave in during the marching out of the teams, I think I got to the "D"s in the alphabet and was losing the will to live. I did however watch the highlights on BBC3 this morning and I have to say the "petals" being assembled as they were and then rising as they did to become one "cauldron" was truly spectacular. I loved it all.

D.

Some of it was amazing, the singing and dancing, and the rings.

But I did not like the chimneys coming out of the ground, that part was all a bit dreary (the old notion that it is always foggy in London). I was hoping there would be more sunlit scenes of the wonderful isles we live on, castles instead of chimneys and the sea which surrounds us.

I also felt that the NHS bit was difficult for the rest of the world to understand, why the hospital beds and the doctors and nurses dancing and it was so long, combining it with the celebration of Children's literature was odd.

By the time Sir Paul came on I was in bed! One of my friends went to make a jelly (weird!!!)

Hi Clementine - The reason why the Drs & Nurses bit was linked to childrens literature was because the royalties from Peter Pan were gifted to Great Ormand Street Hospital.

http://www.gosh.org/gen/peterpan/copyright/publishing/

JK Rowling has gifted the royalties from some of her spin of books to charities "Tales of Beadle the Bard" for example and she has also given £10M for research into multiple sclerosis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/31/jk-rowling-donation-multiple-sclerosis

So to have her reading from Peter Pan did make a bit of sense :-D

Dave Newell - 2012-07-28 2:50 PM

I gave in during the marching out of the teams, I think I got to the "D"s in the alphabet and was losing the will to live. D.

.....perhaps you'll support the suggestion contained in the Guardian blog, here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/london-2012-olympics-blog/2012/jul/27/london-2012-olympics-opening-ceremony-live?newsfeed=true

....for Rio, viz:

"In the beach bar in Rio, where I am now, the view is understandably that the flag-and-athlete parade is a bit old fashioned and needs to be livened up in 2016, perhaps by making it naked. 'That would get my vote', said Pamella, the woman running the bar."

8-) ;-)

Probably get my vote as well - but for now I just have the female beach volley ball. (.)(.) As for the actual parade - cannot see how this could have been bettered without going silly. The rationale behind the drum beats was to keep everything moving - which I think it did.

Robinhood - 2012-07-28 5:04 PM

Dave Newell - 2012-07-28 2:50 PM

I gave in during the marching out of the teams, I think I got to the "D"s in the alphabet and was losing the will to live. D.

.....perhaps you'll support the suggestion contained in the Guardian blog, here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/london-2012-olympics-blog/2012/jul/27/london-2012-olympics-opening-ceremony-live?newsfeed=true

....for Rio, viz:

Not necessarily Robin, the truth is I find the Olympics quite boring and always have. I find motorsport exciting and interesting and most other forms of sport boring to be honest. I watched the opening ceremony as there was bugger all else on. I find the watching of several thousand athletes (junkies perhaps?) walking into the stadium, even if they do it quickly, quite tedious. Having said that I understand that many others enjoy this part of the whole Olympic event as much as they do the actual sports themselves and good on 'em say I.

D.

"In the beach bar in Rio, where I am now, the view is understandably that the flag-and-athlete parade is a bit old fashioned and needs to be livened up in 2016, perhaps by making it naked. 'That would get my vote', said Pamella, the woman running the bar."

8-) ;-)

CliveH - 2012-07-28 3:33 PM

Hi Clementine - The reason why the Drs & Nurses bit was linked to childrens literature was because the royalties from Peter Pan were gifted to Great Ormand Street Hospital.

http://www.gosh.org/gen/peterpan/copyright/publishing/

JK Rowling has gifted the royalties from some of her spin of books to charities "Tales of Beadle the Bard" for example and she has also given £10M for research into multiple sclerosis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/31/jk-rowling-donation-multiple-sclerosis

So to have her reading from Peter Pan did make a bit of sense :-D

Thanks Clive, I was obviously not listening.

Guest Peter James

I changed channels when they started singing God Save The Queen, but I enjoyed it up till then.

Tracker - 2012-07-27 9:44 PM

Is it me, or is anyone else finding the opening, and I use this word with caution - 'ceremony' - cringeworthily embarrassing, inappropriate in parts and out of context at a worldwide sporting festival?

What must the rest of the world be thinking after just half an hour?

Are we a nation living in the past, obsessed with war and away with the fairies in peacetime.

I wonder what HM The Queen made of her double jumping out of a helicopter?

But at least James Bond is an actual person!!

Anyone else in the world who did not know about our great NHS and the benefits of a free at the point of delivery service surely does now.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Tracker, it was cringworthily embarrassing and not at all appropriate.

Why was it not appropriate - IMO it was reminding the rest of the world what UK plc had introduced and from which they now benefit (generally) in some form or other.

Industrial Revolution& subsequently Unions, National Health Service, Womens rights, etc. etc..

Daniel Boyle blowing our trumpet for us in a spectacular way.

And the Bond/Queen spoof, absolutely brilliant.

The scale of secrecy retained throughout - unprecedented, (or did he seek advise from the NOTW & Bankers ?)

Even the participants knew very little, other than what they were specifically involved with.

The Games were sold on the basis of inspiring a generation - what better way than past Oylmpians sponsoring the young athletes of the future, to Light of the Flame.

The downsides

One must have been for those actually in the Stadium, with so much going on they must have been twisting their heads off.

Second was already mentioned - McCartney has to be told he's past his sell by date regarding live performances. Unfortunately it appears vanity & ego stops him accepting the inevitable.

An excellent performance to involve the youngsters its a pity that Macca and his agent cannot come to terms that he is well past his sell by date and as for Hey Jude one of the worst records ever produced Macca has become a laughing stock but people around him are too embarrassed to admit it.

We went to bed. I admit that by 9 pm or just after I am usually yawning my head off, must be old age or the air up here.

From what i have seen in the pictures it seemed to have been a good piece of entertainment but as a biopsy of Britain possibly was a bit political. I agree that using the NHS would mean absolutely nothing to the world, and considering its current ability to make any healthy person ill, was possibly not a good choice. Also where the CND had anything to do with the UK, I fail to see. I also think the fact that history prior to the 19th Century was totally ignored was being very politically correct. After all the UK controlled a 5th of the world for nearly 100 years and many nations owe where they are now to that legacy, even if they cannot see it that way. I also agree that messrs Macartney and Beckham should be advised that they are both past their 'sell by' dates and gracefully retire into obscurity. Using the unknown athletes to light the flame was a good idea though.

Mind you for £29 million one should expect a good show shouldn't one?

On a side issue to this. Who arranged all the rows of empty seats at the arenas? Seems to me the sponsors basically stuck 2 fingers up at the whole Games idea, just as long as they made lots of cash.

Guest peter
Tracker - 2012-07-27 9:44 PM

Tracker asked "Is it me, or is anyone else finding the opening, and I use this word with caution - 'ceremony' - cringeworthily embarrassing, inappropriate in parts and out of context at a worldwide sporting festival?"

Answer:- It's You mate!.

Tracker asked "What must the rest of the world be thinking after just half an hour?"

Answer:- Probably the same as the majority of commentators, it was awsome and brilliant, british talent at it's best.

Tracker asked "Are we a nation living in the past, obsessed with war and away with the fairies in peacetime."

Answer:- We are justly proud of the majority of our past and the lasting legacy we have given to most of the world.

Tracker asked "I wonder what HM The Queen made of her double jumping out of a helicopter?"

Answer:- She probably thought it was a hoot.

Tracker said "But at least James Bond is an actual person!!"

Really? if you believe that it's you that is with the fairies.

Tracker comented "Anyone else in the world who did not know about our great NHS and the benefits of a free at the point of delivery service surely does now."

Quite rightly so, a gleaming example of social awareness and caring.

Well you did ask.

Tends to reinforce the view that the UK is a nation with a fantastic future behind it.

The second half was much better although still quite meaningless for those who do not know about our nation's past?

To be fair, the forging of the rings was spectacular as was the lighting of the flame by unknown youngsters, the future of the country of course, and the petals moving to create the cauldron effect was highly imaginative too.

David Beckham as ever gets a lot of flack and I really don't know why? He has conducted himself well throughout the whole Olympic saga and is, in my view, as deserving as anyone else for an honour in today's media and so called celebrity culture?

Paul McCartney, as others have said, should retire gracefully and spend his fortune!

Meanwhile I still look forward to reading a posting from Peter on any topic that is not caustic in any way - but I won't hold my breath!

Well I thought it was great. I particularly liked the idea of putting the parade in the middle of it so that I could perform my ablutions and get ready for bed before watching the end in bed.

That giant BBQ they lit at the end was fantastic. I want one. Just think of the attention it would attract when you lit that on site!

Mind you I must admit I did have a small tradgidy at one point when I fell asleep and spilt me whiskey!

Guest peter
Tracker - 2012-07-29 9:22 PM

Tends to reinforce the view that the UK is a nation with a fantastic future behind it.

The second half was much better although still quite meaningless for those who do not know about our nation's past?

To be fair, the forging of the rings was spectacular as was the lighting of the flame by unknown youngsters, the future of the country of course, and the petals moving to create the cauldron effect was highly imaginative too.

David Beckham as ever gets a lot of flack and I really don't know why? He has conducted himself well throughout the whole Olympic saga and is, in my view, as deserving as anyone else for an honour in today's media and so called celebrity culture?

Paul McCartney, as others have said, should retire gracefully and spend his fortune!

Meanwhile I still look forward to reading a posting from Peter on any topic that is not caustic in any way - but I won't hold my breath!

Does your last comment have any relevance to this thread? As my answers to your questions were in no way caustic. Or are you just trying to make trouble, as usual?.

Archived