trebor55

BGD - 2012-07-28 3:17 PM

France is big.

Very big.

Which coast?

Channel?

Atlantic?

Med?

............and what kind of coast are you looking for ?

Sandy / rocky / pebbly / quiet / noisy / empty / busy / rough sea / calm sea / cold sea / warm sea ????

.. all of those can be found in France.

;-)

p.s. welcome to the forum !

I would recommend Brittany, not that far to go and very beautiful.

I know it mainly from sailing, so I am not sure about Campsites, but I love Camaret, Douarnenez (go and look over the Pointe du Raz, a very dangerous shipping lane) Benodet, Concarneau (expecially the old town) Pont Aven, (famous for its Bohemian Painters), Carnac, great to cycle along the dunes.

I wish I could set off too, have fun!

Have been touring France for years but prefer inland area's to coast so my knowledge is limited. However we like Etratat in Normandy, Municipal site, aire next door, in the town and short distance from the seafront which has a couple of unusual easy walks along the chalk cliffs. Honfleur is liked by a lot of people but the aire is a real motorhome slum but easy to get at, easy walk to town. If it is your thing the Normandy beaches worth a look, good ACSI site at Bernieres. Brittany has some nice spots we stayed at acsi site at La Plage Beg Le Goer, nice site near the coast and on the south side at Penboch another good site near Vannes. Great aire further down the coast at Montagne sur Gironde more like cl campsite. The most boring place in France may appeal, the island of Ill de Re, a lot on here love it so it may be your thing as you like the coast, we stayed for two nights, enough for us. We stayed at Camping La Grainetiere near the only place of interest on the island the small town of St. Martin de Re, slightly haphazard site but clean facilities and decent pool. We have also stayed at Arachon, just south of Bordeaux to visit the Dune du Pyla, europes biggest sand dune, if you like beaches and sand this area will certainly appeal.

I would go further south along the west coast, more chance of getting good weather without driving to far.

Try Ile de Re, good choice of sites, fantastic flat traffic free cycling and lovely  harbour at St Martin.

Cliffy - 2012-07-29 8:42 PM

I would go further south along the west coast, more chance of getting good weather without driving to far.

Try Ile de Re, good choice of sites, fantastic flat traffic free cycling and lovely  harbour at St Martin.

Very true Cliffy, anywhere below Nantes has better weather. Normandy and Brittany is very similar to GB.

Guest JudgeMental

So Brian...what do you think? :D

If your looking for decent weather, lovely beaches and warm Mediterranean sea water, south of France, Cote d'Azur best bet.

Vendee on west coast a good choice also but as this is western Atlantic coast so water not as plesent, but still a good holiday destination.

Brittany, Normandy OK except weather far from reliable

http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/France

Just back from two months in Normandy and a bit of Brittany. Used aires all the time, which may not be everybody's preference, but stayed on some cracking sites near coast. You will find aires a plenty.

Unfortunately weather this year, as with last year, has been disappointing but that can be improved by going further south. The disadvantage of this is you just toast and it becomes very intolerable, but then its everybody to there own.

You will enjoy the coast

If you want to do the Normandy beaches there is a Municipal site at Grand Camp Maisy plus there are loads of Aires in that area (including Super U carparks).

If you want to go further South, there is St Gilles Croix de Vie and Les Sables d'Olonne. Both places are fab and there are different types of campsites and aires in both areas.

I hope you enjoy your trip, wish we were going back, but we have to wait until next year.

Archived