Tranny service ?

ips

My 3 yr old tranny has just had 1st MOT (no probs) has 13k on clock, has had an oil and filter change previous years and I beleive that at this mileage it still only needs an oil and filter change. Can anyone confirm that this is the case ?

I intend to do it myself so if anyone can think of anything else I should check / change then advice kindly accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Oil and filters service annually plus remove road wheels to inspect brakes properly, you can't see the pad condition without removing the road wheels on most motorhomes. Check the brake pads carefully as they start to crumble, possibly due to low annual mileage and standing around for long periods. I can't remember the last time I changed pads because of wear but I do change lots that are crumbling and cracking. Other than that visual inspection of the underside especially exhaust and its mountings. Check wheel bearings and ball joints for play (although they should be good as just passed MOT).

D.

Just a minor detail but if you change the fuel filter be warned they are a pig to bleed. There is no lift pump in the tank as in the Ducato and as the leak back also goes through the filter it won't self bleed. You need to prefill the new filter with clean diesel before you refit it.

D.

The standard FWD Transit service schedule also includes a brake fluid change every (I think) two years. You can download the full service schedule from the Ford website (possibly in ETIS).

If it has cab aircon, there is also a recommendadtion the gas volume is checked after, I think, 4 years.

pepe63 - 2012-07-31 12:13 PM

Blimey ips!? 8-) ..when I read the thread title,for a moment there,I had assumed that the campsite was maybe a bit quiet and you'd decided to "diversify"..

...and now I can't shift the image of a butch, "Carmon Miranda(esque)" type figure... (lol) (lol)

:-D oh yeah I see now that maybe the title could have been a little more thought out :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-07-31 1:47 PM

The standard FWD Transit service schedule also includes a brake fluid change every (I think) two years. You can download the full service schedule from the Ford website (possibly in ETIS).

If it has cab aircon, there is also a recommendadtion the gas volume is checked after, I think, 4 years.

go to http://www.etis.ford.com/ input your reg or VIN and then you can generate a full service schedule.

Then it probably wasn't registered on the UK database when sold. You may need to phone them for advice, as whoever has been servicing it should have obtained, and I think entered, details during the warranty period. If it isn't recorded, something isn't right, meaning you may have problems with spares if any are needed.

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-01 4:22 PM

Then it probably wasn't registered on the UK database when sold. You may need to phone them for advice, as whoever has been servicing it should have obtained, and I think entered, details during the warranty period. If it isn't recorded, something isn't right, meaning you may have problems with spares if any are needed.

I'm not entirely sure this is entirely correct, Brian, as I checked my 'van (by VIN number) before I bought it (and before it was registered - and it still doesn't show up by reg. no.).

I also thought that the ETIS database was (at least) pan-European (and probably global), but it may be that only vehicles allocated to the UK market show up on the default preferences (English, UK), and there is a possiblity that the market needs to be changed to France (or the correct VIN number entered ;-) ) for IPS's to appear. Still worth a check, though - I'd get the local Ford dealer to try and find it.

BTW, my dealer (on both the car and the 'van) treats the Brake Fluid change as "optional" (particularly because of the lowish mileage - but they do do a "boil" test on it to check the water content). As a result, I've extended the period on mine - whether Ford consider this to be acceptable or not I don't know, but if I subsequently hit any warranty issues, I'm prepared to argue the toss (since it is a Ford main dealer).

Mine was definately reg in UK and the warranty stuff was all sorted as my ford dealer had to register it when it had 1st service as it wasnt showing due to french built. One assumes that it should show on ETIS but it dont, unless I have a digit wrong on the VIN will check.

ETIS is definitely pan European -our French registered MH shows up.

? Are you sure you haven't input a zero for an O etc.

For help on the format see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

I would suggest the op either goes to a Ford dealer and gets it checked out or gets help from some useful folk on the transit web site -http://fordtransit.org .

If Ford don't know of the vehicle then either a mistake has been made or (unlikely) there is something suspicious.

Certainly would recommend you get to the bottom of this for the future and peace of mind.

Format of our Trigano (Challenger / Chausson) is WF07XXTTFnnAnnnnn (n= a digit)

Robinhood - 2012-08-01 4:57 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-01 4:22 PM

I'm not entirely sure this is entirely correct, Brian, as I checked my 'van (by VIN number) before I bought it (and before it was registered - and it still doesn't show up by reg. no.)........................

Strange, as ours does, even though it was bought in Germany. I'm pretty sure the main dealer input all the details when it was first serviced. However, if you follow this link you can see all the service requirements without reg No or VIN being required. http://tinyurl.com/lo56ly

Just checked out of curiosity, and ours comes up under either reg No, or VIN. As stated above, the third digit of the VIN is a number, not a letter.

Our has around 16,000 miles on now ... at just over 2 years old! We had the brake fluid done in April when it's 2nd service was due as it was, as far as we know, required and as it has another year's warranty on it, and we have the mileage we have, we didn't quibble. We're going to replace the 2 drive tyres at the end of the summer (whenever that arrives!) so that we have a good set ready for winter driving as the current ones are still quite legal, but we have noticed they slip a bit more than they did on wet fields etc.

Mel B - 2012-08-03 9:34 PM

Our has around 16,000 miles on now ........ We're going to replace the 2 drive tyres at the end of the summer (whenever that arrives!) so that we have a good set ready for winter driving as the current ones are still quite legal, but we have noticed they slip a bit more than they did on wet fields etc.

Crikey! At 13,000 miles and almost exactly two years, my fronts (and rears for that matter) are virtually "untouched". Continental Vancos (non-camping) measured at 8mm tread depth right across on both fronts. :-|

pepe63 - 2012-07-31 12:13 PMBlimey ips!? 8-) ..when I read the thread title,for a moment there,I had assumed that the campsite was maybe a bit quiet and you'd decided to "diversify".....and now I can't shift the image of a butch, "Carmon Miranda(esque)" type figure... (lol) (lol)

It is after all a "CAMPsite" :-)

ips - 2012-07-31 11:52 AM

My 3 yr old tranny has just had 1st MOT (no probs) has 13k on clock, has had an oil and filter change previous years and I beleive that at this mileage it still only needs an oil and filter change. Can anyone confirm that this is the case ?

I intend to do it myself so if anyone can think of anything else I should check / change then advice kindly accepted.

Thanks in advance.

BIB says it all really. At 13k it's still 'a baby' and hardly run in!

Oil and Filter every 6k miles and run the air-con every now 'n then even if not needed.

Archived