To sell van on Ebay

misty

Hi we are going to try and sell our van on Ebay.never sold anything on there before.if we put it as a classified add its £14 99.to put it on Ebay.and nothing else at the end .this does seem cheap for a van.have we read it right. (?)

misty - 2012-07-31 3:58 PM

Hi we are going to try and sell our van on Ebay.never sold anything on there before.if we put it as a classified add its £14 99.to put it on Ebay.and nothing else at the end .this does seem cheap for a van.have we read it right. (?)

I have sold two vans on ebay, the last one a few days ago and over a hundred cars. I would really not do a classified add. Put it on a 7 day auction, £10 with a percentage of sale price at the end, with a start, of say, £1000 pounds with a reserve price. Make sure you put on at least 15 pictures and describe if fully, break the description down into headings to make it easily understood. We proved without any doubt that what sells vehicles on ebay is not just price and year but a really good well thought out listing. Classified adds never worked for us people still look closer at the auctions, if you sell it costs a little more but at least you have a chance of selling. If anyone is really interested they will sometimes wait until the auction is over and contact you after so acts like a classified anyway. Put a contact telephone number in.

Guest JudgeMental

Take Rupert's advice it is perfect......Never look at classified as most are dodgy dealers I would think.

Most of us looking for a genuine van sold by genuine people...where we can meet the seller face to face :-D

I'm not too familiar with selling on ebay but 2 weeks ago sold our motorhome on the site and yes £14.99 is corect.

I do disagree with not using classifieds as we had tremendous interest - people soon twig who are private selers and who are trade.

When I looked for out new motorhome I only looked at classified ads - I don't have time to mess about watching auctions only to be disappointed to find myself outbid and then find another suitable van to watch.

BTW I also advertised in autotrader and had no interest whatsoever.

A good and honest description with plenty of photos is key

Hi its a A/S Executive 2.8 2001 just had a new solar panal on and its been (chipped) also alarm and 2 leisure batterys we thought about £18 500.and see if any interest,got to start somewhere.can allways go down.

misty - 2012-07-31 7:55 PM

Hi its a A/S Executive 2.8 2001 just had a new solar panal on and its been (chipped) also alarm and 2 leisure batterys we thought about £18 500.and see if any interest,got to start somewhere.can allways go down.

With all respect to other poster's they have sold one van and that is no real experience of ebay. I am absolutly convinced having sold, well a lot, of vehicles that auction is the way. You may sell with classified and auction is more messing about but you can put 'a buy it now' in, if you wish, so get the best of both worlds but I found this seemed to put people off. It is true people can mess you about I have had two none paying bidders in four years. However they also mess about with classifieds, no idea why, nature of the beast but still the best private sales medium. Important start with a low price, say £2000, bids atract bids, strange but true.

I have sold motorcycles on ebay and use the classified ad's without problem. When i am selling lower priced items auctions can be good as if the listing is done well buyers will find the item easily and the price will normally rise to a market level.

Have a look on google for guides as to how to sell on ebay. I made the mistake when I first started of putting a Harley Davidson wheel on and got 99p for it! I had not taken the time to make sure I had got the listing "right" so be very careful with auctions.

That is why a classified ad has far fewer pitfalls if you are inexperienced on Ebay.

bertieburstner - 2012-08-01 9:58 AM

I have sold motorcycles on ebay and use the classified ad's without problem. When i am selling lower priced items auctions can be good as if the listing is done well buyers will find the item easily and the price will normally rise to a market level.

Have a look on google for guides as to how to sell on ebay. I made the mistake when I first started of putting a Harley Davidson wheel on and got 99p for it! I had not taken the time to make sure I had got the listing "right" so be very careful with auctions.

That is why a classified ad has far fewer pitfalls if you are inexperienced on Ebay.

You did well to get a full 99p for a Harley-Davidson wheel.......... ;-)

sshortcircuit - 2012-08-01 7:51 AM

Very interesting posting Rubert and you appear to have a lot of experience. I assume that the vehicle is only paid for once purchaser has examined?

Strictly speaking no but I always stated that if the vehicle was not as described they were free to walk away. With a motorhome or an expensive car people always view before final purchase.

duetto owner - 2012-08-02 5:45 PM

would trading it in part exchange or selling it to a dealer not be easier. or is there a large mark down on motorhomes i would have thought it would be similar to cars a £1000 to £1500 markdown.

not traded a motorhome yet

I wish!!!!! 8-) Try taking the value of the motorhome in question and then taking 30% off it!!! *-)

I found dealers have a web price, which is often £2,000 less that forecourt price. If you want to part ex they insult you with their offer and make you pay the forecourt price.

I sold my last van for 30% more privately than I was offered part ex. I also bought privately at way less that I would have paid at a dealers - who strip all the extras off the van and use them as bargaining tools.

Yes they do offer a warranty and there are finance options, so they have some advantages, however, you can get a private warranty and a personal loan is likely to be cheaper than finance

Archived