Gas oven and grill. Who makes the best?

deegee

I'm looking to buy a motor-caravan gas grill and oven for building in under a worktop.

I understand that the UK made ones are better because they give faster grilling, unlike the German ones for example. I'd like domestic cooking quality although the size doesn't necessarilly need to be as big as domestic. Durability and reliabilty are important.

Can anyone suggest good manufacturers or models and tell me what I should look out for?

I thought Spinflo (Thetford) made them, but their email address doesn't work.

Many thanks.

Having had many over the years I can't say that I have noticed any difference in them.

The ovens generally are a bit small but seem to cook OK but their temperature control is not in any format used by anyone else so cooking times are very individual.

By and large the grills are not much good unless you raise the grill pan closer to the heat. We use a thick ceramic floor tile for this but you might need to experiment.

Hi

for Spinflo (Thetford) Oven /Grill

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/gas/spinflo_hobs_and_cookers.aspx

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/view_results.asp?search=oven%20grill&rows=19

The other common make is Smev

(click on "smev appliances" scrolling down the left side on Magnum website)

Like Tracker, I have found them both very similar in operation.

Depending on your location, it maybe worthwhile visiting the likes of Magnum (Grimsby) & browsing their warehouse.

I don't know the answer to your question but has anybody like me noticed that on these house finding programms the kitchens always seem to be equipped with a range cooker of a certain make? I understand they are well made but might just be a little on the heavy side for a motorhome!

This post is proboly not going to be much use to you, but, the best grill I've ever used in a MH was one fitted to a van i NZ, the grill had ceramic plates similier to that seen on gas fires like 'supersur' this gave plenty of heat spread evenly across the grill.

I had a full cooker in my caravan that was british made and I have a Smev in my motorhome that is German. Personally I don't feel there is much difference in the two, the both cooked on the slow side and I had to use max to cook my roasties or oven chips!

The gas you use may make a difference of course, but generally its horses for courses and whatever suits your pocket at the time of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Archived