DFDS Ferries - Gas

tonyfletcher

I have done a simple search "dfds ferries gas"

Within their Q&A

"8. Do your ships accept vehicles which run on Liquified Petroleum Gas LPG?

Yes, vehicles converted to LPG or motor homes carrying LPG cylinders are accepted onboard our ferries. Please note however, vehicles are limited to carrying one LPG cylinder. We also ask that you advise the staff at the check in booth before you check in"

Not sure how to read this as it refers to MH carrying "cylinders" and then says you are limited to carrying one "cylinder"

Either phone and find out way ahead of checking in, or as I am sure many do just turn up

You can take up to 47Kg of gas on a cross channel ferry, it is a general maritime rule.

On some other crossings there are restrictions and you have to check with the operator on that route.

In general, apart from the tunnel, I have never had gas cylinders checked on any ferry, so in effect you can take what you like. The crew do check that the fridge and water heater are turned off, I have seen them walking past and feeling the outlet flue with their hand. I don't know how they check if it's a roof mounted job!

The amount of gas on a ferry pales to insignificance when compared to the amount of petrol in the fuel tanks of cars.

The fans will be on and the fire resistant doors closed and locked. Anyway I always make a crossing with my life jacket on and sitting in a lifeboat. You can't be to careful.

The tunnel is a bit more scary, they don't have a good history.

H

sshortcircuit - 2012-08-02 10:58 AM

I have done a simple search "dfds ferries gas"

Within their Q&A

"8. Do your ships accept vehicles which run on Liquified Petroleum Gas LPG?

Yes, vehicles converted to LPG or motor homes carrying LPG cylinders are accepted onboard our ferries. Please note however, vehicles are limited to carrying one LPG cylinder. We also ask that you advise the staff at the check in booth before you check in"

Not sure how to read this as it refers to MH carrying "cylinders" and then says you are limited to carrying one "cylinder"

Either phone and find out way ahead of checking in, or as I am sure many do just turn up.

BIB.........turn up, board ferry, job done.

DFDS are in business competing with P&O and DFDS are not stupid. If they enforced this vague "rule" they would lose all MH's and Campers to P&O.

spospe - 2012-08-02 11:45 AM

Travelled twice on DFDS this year, on the Dover to Dunkirk route and was not asked anything about gas at all (previous years the same).

I think you will find it's possibly a "rule" which has got misinterpreted and twisted around that many times, folk become paranoid about it. I used DFDS for my current tour as their prices were unbeatable, plus I got more sensible sailing times than what P&O offered.

Like you, I haven't been asked how much gas i'm carrying. They are more interested in trying to convince you to buy breathalyser kits off them (which you don't need)!

Archived