Hiring in New Zealand

anniej46

Hi all, I am trying to find out which 4 berth motorhome is the best value to hire for two weeks in New Zealand. I have been given the names Britz Explorer, Maui Platinum Beach Campervan, Euro Tourer and Cheapa Camper. I do so hope someone can help me or give me a web comparison site. Many thanks Annie B-)

Thanks for your reply Colin, stupid me meant Australia and it's Feb next year. Pick up from Sydney and drop off Melbourne. Feb 2013. Holiday of a lifetime but would like it to be reasonably priced and reasonable quality. Annie B-)

Towards end of season, so hopefully you can get a decent deal, note that two weeks around the other side of world is not long, as unless your used to shift working the first week you'll be jetlagged. Personaly I'd look for a company doing 3 weeks for the price of 2 offers and take that extra week taking it very slowly at first, or had you already thought of a few days in Sydney finding your legs?

My sister and brother-in-law hired from Maui and the van was rubbish, door fell off and drawer front came off whilst driving, sending glass-ware flying and smashed all over carpet, went to one of their depots to get it fixed and they couldn't have cared less.

We hired van via TC from Maui for 6 weeks in New Zealand,tried to plan the whole trip on internet ie flights etc,But in the end I went to Thomas Cook.The deal for van was far cheaper than direct on Maui Webb site,and the insurance for van was also far cheaper.Had no problems at all with van.Even with the flight package was cheaper than internet .

We were in oz & NZ earlier this year and would cetainly support the idea of hiring a camper in OZ but our thoughts regarding NZ are that for 2 people a camper is not as economic as hiring a car and using backpacker hostels. (I note you were after a 4 berth and I'd admit that for 4 people the economics wouldn't work). We found the best deal for car hire at DriveNZ based at Aukland airport. Not all brand spanking new cars but we had a cute Honda CRV which was good vfm.

Lonely Planet is full of suggestions for accom and we only had one duff recommendation in the 5 weeks we were in NZ. The wondeful thing about backpacker hostels is that you always find a proper kitchen and you can generally get an en suite double or at least a room with private facilities. Some are a bit rough & ready and some are exquisitely prepared and situated.

If you do stick with the idea of hiring, then regarding the "comparison" sites... don't hold out too much hope of finding a cheap deal buried therein. The big comapnies don't seem to do exclusive deals with these sites, so if you find a deal on one, it'll probably be the same deal as on another compsite.

Maui are the most expensive because their vans are all fairly new. When their vans are a few years old they rebadge them and rent them more cheaply, then when they're pretty much clapped out they rebadge them as "cheapacampers"

Don't whatever you do hire from Wicked.

I know a motorhome is supposed to be the best way to see NZ but there are places where access with a larger vehicle is not always possible.

I agree with Hughmer. After costing it out we found it cheaper to hire a car for a month (brand new Mazda 3) and stay in a mixture of accomodation types, Copthorne hotels, motels, bed and breakfast. Also Hertz provide a brilliant little sat. nav. at extra cost.

For peace of mind it is always advisable to take out comprehensive insurance which, in the case of a motorhome can cost an arm and a leg.

Although I pre-booked all accomodation on-line, we found that there were plenty of vacancies wherever we went.

You can save on the cost of the insurance waiver by buying insurance before you leave the UK from a separate company. However, you then have to put down a several thousand pound deposit using your credit card. This is refunded immediately you return the van without problems, but you can lose much of the saving if the exchange rate goes in the wrong direction between start and end of the rental period.

I no its New Zealand and not Australia but nobody has pointed oiut the fact you can wild camp in a lot of placres which we did for more than half of our 8 weeks stay thus making it cheaper than hireing a car

The hire company was a small company just outside Aukland

tomag - 2012-08-08 6:47 AM

I no its New Zealand and not Australia but nobody has pointed oiut the fact you can wild camp in a lot of placres which we did for more than half of our 8 weeks stay thus making it cheaper than hireing a car

The hire company was a small company just outside Aukland

I don't think that the cost of the campsites is an influencing factor, they seemed to me to be quite reasonable.

Two different things, New Zealand is a bit like Europe and difficult to get into strife, although I had an aunt who had to be airlifted out of Milford Sound.

But, to campers, Australia has many firms who can help, if you get stuck contact me direct,I'm on the west coast.

Really this is just to say that unless you are a skilled off roader sick to the highways. KEA is a company which seems to leave their customers happy, and they sell the vehicles off quite young. They have campervans up to 6 berth,and recently had relocation specials on their website. Another big firm is Britz, similar but not personally known.

Unless you are a crustie don't go for the other nameless firm with the groovy website,I don't know if they have any insurance but it seems unlikely, the vans often niff a bit.

If you think it's alarmist about bush driving look up the coronial inquiries,e.g. William Creek in SA. However if you do the coastal trip it will leave you boggled and you can free camp almost everywhere.

In Sydney however go to Narabeen caravan park and catch the excellent, cheap bus to town. But to anyone coming to AUS do join the CMCA which has it's own website, the discounts will pay off in two or three days.On our last trip we spent about $35 a day including fuel, the only expense we wouldn't incur again is the trip to Tasmania.

We did both ,hired a car for three weeks in Oz,stayed mainly in motor lodges ,lived out of suit cases,had to find some where to eat in evening was difficult after 8 pm in a lot of places.Would not do again.

Then had a van in NZ for 6 weeks ,4 berth with over cab,all clothes in lockers,food to hand in fridge ,eat in or cook food in many kitchens on sites or many sites had take always near by..We went off road within reason ,no problems.

Archived