Speeding caution on French roads (also Sweden and Italy).

Brian Kirby

If I have understood correctly, growing numbers of French speed cameras now carry character recognition technology, and can read number plates.

These cameras are linked so, even if you are not exceeding the limit as you pass the first, you may still attract a penalty if your average speed between cameras exceeds the limit. Where the cameras have been linked in this way, the tracking progresses down the road with you.

So, be warned: on any road where you see a Gatso, your speed between that and the next one may get you zapped, even if you pass both below the limit.

The system has been developed by the Swedes and the Italians, so presumably is in use in those countries as well. Happy travels!

Guest pelmetman
Aaaaaaaaah speeding ;-).....................Horace + speeding............... (lol) (lol) (lol)..............If I get a ticket I'll wear it with pride and put it in my back window B-)..............along with my CC club 15 year sticker, RSPCA, NT etc etc.......I need to order that rearview camera :D

The Italian's have had a system -i think called Tutor -on some motorways for some years.

I think all the French fixed radars are online with ANPR -maybe one area where the legendary french bureaucracy is ahead?

(see http://www.auto-evasion.com/publication/article-130.html )

The real issue anyway is that tickets issued in one EU country are not enforceable in another, as the DVLA and its equivalents in Europe don't talk to each other. That is supposed to change next year.

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-04 6:45 PMIf I have understood correctly, growing numbers of French speed cameras now carry character recognition technology, and can read number plates. These cameras are linked so, even if you are not exceeding the limit as you pass the first, you may still attract a penalty if your average speed between cameras exceeds the limit. Where the cameras have been linked in this way, the tracking progresses down the road with you. So, be warned: on any road where you see a Gatso, your speed between that and the next one may get you zapped, even if you pass both below the limit.The system has been developed by the Swedes and the Italians, so presumably is in use in those countries as well. Happy travels!

I remember the days when you used to be good fun.

If you rode a motorcycle you might not be so lucky as to wear your your fine like a medal.

In France :

Above 105 MPH gets you a 750 Euro fine.

Above 130 mph gets you a 1500 Euro fine.

The Euro might be worth less than it was and that might soften the blow, but the French have a habit of taking your licence away to "process" your offence. They send it back to you three weeks later.!

I kid you not.

Granted that is on a motorbike but trying to get back home will prove costly with no licence.

I was in Germany earlier this year. Please can someone inform me how you know when you are on a non restricted autobahn. The old Renault Master might enjoy a spin at 90 MPH.

Think yourself fortunate that you drive something slower

JR >:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

was held up by a very inconsiderate road accident yesterday entering Umbria from Tuscany..... Severed limbs injured children the works........these italians are wonderful people but certainly have not a clue how to drive, its a national disgrace.

Be careful out there! If we had not stopped for a few minutes argument with sat nav, we could have been involved..As we were one car behind the carnage

Don't know why people get so uptight about speed limits and cameras, these speed limits are the law in that country whether you like it or not, anybody who fails to comply with the law gets everything they deserve in my book. If you drive within the speed limit you will never have to worry again about what sort of cameras are where and if you keep your wits about you then yes its easy to know what the speed limit is ......even in France

Archived