What Happened to Australia in the Olympics?

Dave225

While everyone has been cheering the Brits has anyone noticed the situation with Australia? 1 gold, 12 silver and 7 bronze. No where near what they normally achieve. Swimming is usually their top sport but maybe this time the Yanks knocked them for six.

I am sure there will be some soul searching in Oz and opinions on how they can blame it on the dastardly Poms. Now maybe they will make a comeback in what is left but history does not suggest so.

I note they won a 2nd gold today in sailing. As that is a big sport 'down under' one expects them to do well.

Had a look at The Australian newspaper and today there is coverage of their gold, but the last few days......have been very quiet. Not like them at all. Some of their comments included ' For God's sake, beat the Poms' but that looks unlikely now.

By the way was amused at an article today that claimed all the British success was due to John Major. Yeah! figure that one out. Evidently it is all down to him introducing the Lottery which is funding a lot of lesser known sports and giving our people the opportunity to do better. I am not so sure gambling and sport make good bedfellows but if it works, what the Heck.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2012-08-06 5:31 PM

By the way was amused at an article today that claimed all the British success was due to John Major. Yeah! figure that one out.

I heard he'd scored with a Ruby Murray :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-06 5:36 PM

Dave225 - 2012-08-06 5:31 PM

By the way was amused at an article today that claimed all the British success was due to John Major. Yeah! figure that one out.

I heard he'd scored with a Ruby Murray :D

Was she a tennis player...??? Ball girl.....shuttle cock girl.

Dave

You don't think John Major fancied the tennis player do you?

How unsavoury would that be?

Worse than curried eggs

(Sorry - waffling here George - I have no idea as to what is hot and ryhmes with Murray?) 8-) 8-) )

Ah yes! - It is all coming clear to me now!! George!! 8-)

As for the Australians - yes their Olympics is not as good this time as it has been for them in the past - but as they said in the cycling - it is all about the margins. This time they have not got as many things correct as we have. Had to laugh at the comment by the French rider who intimated that our success was somehow due to our equipement and the response from Team GB was that our wheels were not just round - the were "REALLY ROUND!" - apparently the French "took this onboard" !!

AND - talking of John Major - it dos seem that one of the things he did has had an enormous longer term effect in that by applying lottery funds to sports facilities we as a nation are reaping the benefit now of that investment.

But when you compare the amounts the various sports received and the blistering success we have had as a result, to the sums routinely dished out in our supposed national game "Football" - where we do nothing but buy players from other countries and still cannot win in a penalty shootout, I for one am delighted to see such incredible sport on TV rather than 22 overpaid bags of wind kicking another bag of wind about.

Better still - it may just get me off bum a bit more and my doing even more dog walking and bike riding.

CliveH - 2012-08-08 6:05 AM

Better still - it may just get me off bum a bit more and my doing even more dog walking.

Will this be a new event in the next olympics Clive, and what do you think your position will be. Gold, Silver, Bronze or a bag of poo :D :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-08-08 7:03 PM

Talking of poo, there looks like a few tons are going to be dropped on Standard Charter Bank. 8-)

Dave

I wonder if the tax payer will be expected to bail them out *-)

AND - talking of John Major - it dos seem that one of the things he did has had an enormous longer term effect in that by applying lottery funds to sports facilities we as a nation are reaping the benefit now of that investment.

Everything has come together for GB at the right time.

Millions of unemployed youngsters and enough lottery money for sports facilities to keep 'em off the streets.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-08-08 8:26 PM

Everything has come together for GB at the right time.

Millions of unemployed youngsters and enough lottery money for sports facilities to keep 'em off the streets.

Not to mention years of leisure time for the Youth due to the coming 3rd recession or is it a depression? 8-)

Just watching Ian Hislop about doctor Beeching...........an early example of politicians involving a private sector fat cat and between them producing a pup *-)

Yes - They do not learn do they. When i look at the waste that went with the last Governments "Stakeholder" range of financial plans it is just staggering. £millions spent on a crazy project that was doomed only ever to be used by those wealthy enough to want to put money away for grandchildren.

Private Sector Initiatives to build hospitals etc. with annual costs thereafter so high that the hospitals ate uneconomic to run. And with GP's now being able to source care from a wide range of options - the PSI funded local NHS hospital gets passed over and the local Private Hospital gets the business. Patients love it because the cleanliness and care is generally better, but it still means that we as tax-payers foot the bill for the whole debacle.

I am sure there are many many examples of government initiatives that become millstones.

nowtelse2do - 2012-08-08 7:00 PM

Better still - it may just get me off bum a bit more and my doing even more dog walking.

Will this be a new event in the next olympics Clive, and what do you think your position will be. Gold, Silver, Bronze or a bag of poo :D :D

Dave

Oh - I already have the bag of poo prize Dave (lol) - I have won three already today!

But it is the absolute joy of an early morning walk with the dogs in the New Forest (just got back) that is the REAL prize. One that I am lucky enough to be able to win everyday.

One thing that struck me as a bit curious is that the Beeb in its usual left wing fashion was bleating on the news about how can we maintain the legacy of Games and improve sport. Now I may be missing something but as we have won the most medals ever then surely we have already improved sport in the UK and again possibly that is down to Major and his Lottery funding. Now I accept that there is always room for more improvement but it seems we have done a good bit. However getting kids off their bums and into the sports fields will be another matter as soon as winter comes along, plus once the football season starts in earnest then I suspect it will be 'back to normal'.

The Commonwealth Games are here in 2 years time so we will see what happens there, whether things have become even better or retarded. No USA or China to worry about there so..........?

Dave225 - 2012-08-09 9:26 PM

One thing that struck me as a bit curious is that the Beeb in its usual left wing fashion was bleating on the news about how can we maintain the legacy of Games and improve sport. Now I may be missing something .....?

The questions about the " legacvy " of the games is what happens after they have finished, not how well we have done.

Hence the games motto " inspiring a generation " ---- only time will tell.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-08-09 11:08 PM

Dave225 - 2012-08-09 9:26 PM

One thing that struck me as a bit curious is that the Beeb in its usual left wing fashion was bleating on the news about how can we maintain the legacy of Games and improve sport. Now I may be missing something .....?

The questions about the " legacvy " of the games is what happens after they have finished, not how well we have done.

Hence the games motto " inspiring a generation " ---- only time will tell.

I think the motto should really be............ "Indebting a generation".................. *-)

Archived