Drinking Glass storage

bolero50

Hi, this topic has probably been raised many times but can anyone suggest an item for packing wine glasses in while travelling. Rather than wrapping them in cloths every time we move on or using plastic ones. There must be something out there thats made for the job.

bolero50 - 2012-08-05 2:12 PM

Hi, this topic has probably been raised many times but can anyone suggest an item for packing wine glasses in while travelling. Rather than wrapping them in cloths every time we move on or using plastic ones. There must be something out there thats made for the job.

We wrap ours in bubble-wrap and put them in an old square polythene / plastic icecream container.

Never ' lost ' one yet.

;-)

....we don't pacck them, but simply use a wine glass clip, a bit like this one:

http://www.symc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=226&Itemid=170

Mind you, it does mean you have to select your glasses fairly carefully, relatively slim stems, and not too wide a bowl, or they won't fit (or you won't be able to use adjacent clips - though putting alternate ones upside-down can resolve the latter issue if the base is relatively small)

I use a "3" clip version for two wine glasses, and the stem thickness is the only constraint.

While at a car show recently I noticed some dense foam sheets for sale - hopefully they will be there in a fortnight when we return to the same show. These will be cut to size to fit a cupboard and I'll use a hole saw to cut circles slightly smaller than the base of the cups and glasses. I'll let you know how I get on

As above, we have a dedicated wine cupboard with clips for wine glasses and bottles. My OH made two stands of ply wood to hold tumblers and whiskey size glasses. just cut holes with a circular hole cutter, and enlarged where need with a router. I stand these on non slip mats in cupboard. No clinking and so=far no breakages, after 6 years.Carry six of each , bit excessive maybe, but we always have glasses for visitors!!

PJay

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-05 7:26 PM

Ours are stainless steel! Problem solved.

Same here. but have done storage on a biz jet, for tumblers we used the stiff packing foam, for stemed glasses they where 'hung' upside down on a 'tee' slot.

A good blob of Blue Tac on the base Is the answer. Stops the wine glasses getting knocked over in use as well. Actually we simply selected some wine glasses with good wide tops and simply travel and store the upside down on the plastic sone slip matting we line most of our shelves with. So far so good even when I did have to stop bait sharpish to avoid running over a red squirrelle.

We use polycarbonate wine glasses (NOT acrylic), which taste as good as the real thing to us (but hey, what do we know? We're just Northerners really!) .

We do insist on pot tea-mugs though, and I've made a cardboard insert for the cupboard they live in - maybe you could do something similar for your glasses, if polycarb wouldn't do it for you?

Each of our glasses, wine, beer water etc. are in individual plastic bags in the cupboard, this keeps them from clinking as we travel and protects them from chipping,we keep the cupboard full of glasses as if they can't move about there is less chance of damage.

We bought 4 glass Paris Goblets from Wilkinsons for less than a pound . They come packaged in a cardboard cube which slots together. We've had them 2-3 years now & they live in the cube in the cupboard. No rattling & well protected! Even if they did break at £1.00 its not a problem.

It is just so much nicer having wine from a glass rather than metal or plastic! (mind you the sort of wine I buy would probably melt the plastic!)

I also have a pint glass for my beer, & my wife has a highball glass for her G&T's! (wrapped in cheapo t-towels)

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/glassware/wilko-everyday-value-wine-glasses-x-4/invt/0230341/?htxt=%2FUvRjc0xAaKk26JwgsxcsV6E2gjpK53ITJCPcypNRrR6jhjYX3SDlEUFWaOdTpLU0xVcTayKYYOc%0Aw4t9gBa9qg%3D%3D

Tony Jones - 2012-08-06 7:33 PM

We use polycarbonate wine glasses (NOT acrylic), which taste as good as the real thing to us (but hey, what do we know? We're just Northerners really!) .

We do insist on pot tea-mugs though, and I've made a cardboard insert for the cupboard they live in - maybe you could do something similar for your glasses, if polycarb wouldn't do it for you?

That's what we use but we did find it quite a job to find some nice ones that we not too thick. I agree with you the wine tastes just fine in them. We originally had pint beer glasses but found them a bit unstable to travel. We now have good old fashion pint beer mugs that simply travel securely upside down. Once again we found these very difficult to obtain. Eventually found a set at our local DIY shop, one of the good old fashion kind that stocks everything rather than just what sell in great numbers. Out bear finds the handles to small for his paws so he has his beer in a soup bowl.

Bolly1965 - 2012-08-05 5:05 PM

While at a car show recently I noticed some dense foam sheets for sale - hopefully they will be there in a fortnight when we return to the same show. These will be cut to size to fit a cupboard and I'll use a hole saw to cut circles slightly smaller than the base of the cups and glasses. I'll let you know how I get on

I use a similar ploy for storing our wine glasses (acrylic) and cups/mugs (melamine) upside-down in a high-level kitchen cupboard. Instead of foam sheets I use several layers of thick cork-based flooring material glued together, with suitably-sized holes cut through all the layers. Thick dense foam is probably a better material, but, as I had the flooring stuff kicking around, that's what I used. Beneath the flooring material there is a layer of non-slip drawer liner (Example http://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-3150-trident-non-slip-drawer-liner.aspx ) that cushions the vessels and prevents them rattling. Works well and I've never had any of the glasses/cups/mugs jump out of the holes.

If you've got 'traditional' wine glasses (ie. those with a round base, longish stem and rounded goblet) I suggest you store them inverted in the holes you've cut in the foam. If you store upright, they will inevitably tend to tip over. Won't matter much which way up you store cups/mugs, though the cup/mug design may well mean that one way is more stable than the other.

Three of ours go in clips, another two just loose in an overhead locker (filled with other glasses (both real and plastic). To be honest, none of the loose ones has broken yet over 20,000 miles of travel like that.

It's either down to my smooth driving or that AlKo chassis.

Colin Leake - 2012-08-08 10:44 AM

Eventually found a set at our local DIY shop, one of the good old fashion kind that stocks everything rather than just what sell in great numbers. .

Great aren't they! I just love wandering round these old type hardware shops ... amazing places and I usually find something i've been looking-for for ages in them!

Out bear finds the handles to small for his paws so he has his beer in a soup bowl.

COLIN!!!!! 8-) You should not be giving your bear beer, it's not good for him ... you should be giving him mead!!! :D

Archived