Older cheaper motorhomes

aston

Hi all. I have been looking for a motorhome since November, Most nights on eBay my budget is smallish considering what most vans make however I have missed a few good vans, Notably a Hobby 600 and a very nice Transit Autohomes Travelhome, However another deal which slipped through my hands was a Winnebago LeSharo. This is my question, Why don't the LeSharo's make good money at all, For the spec they seem great value for money. I admit the exterior shape isn't to my personal taste but nevertheless I still can't figure out why they don't make the same money as the other vans of the same age.

back in the late 80's and early 90's which manufacturers were considered economy/ budget and which were considered as quality with longevity? Thanks all

Hi Aston

Regarding the Winnebago LeSharo, I would hazard a guess that it's partly because they weren't manufactured or imported in any high volume & spares will be difficult to obtain (age, but also USA so expensive to import)

To name a few Budget vans from that era - Elddis/Compass, Swift's Ace range, CI & Rollerteam

ditto Quality - Autosleeper, Autotrail, Hymer, Pilote. Rapido, Hobby

Another popular make from that era - Holdsworth,

No matter which make/model are considered cheap or quality, for 20y.o. vans it's how well they've been looked after. Take our VW which is just being cleaned up for sale as spares or repair, anyone will tell you panel vans don't suffer from water ingress, well our VW did, it had a leaking body seam, took me several years before I spotted it.

So if Autosleeper, Autotrail, Hymer,Pilote, Rapido Hobby and Holdsworth were quality, Which Base vehicles stood the test of time, Would I be correct in asuming Mercedes, VW and Ford would be the better idea over the Pug,Citroen,Renault, Fiat and Talbot variations for longevity and ease of parts? Thanks again

Regarding which base vehicle...just look around the motorsport world and you'll see that from schoolboy to professional level the most long lived base vehicles are Mercedes.  Some conversions done for schoolboy motocross are still going strong after 25+ years.

If you are practical,what about building your own? there is a site for self builders and lots of parts suppliers.

www.sbmcc.co.uk and for parts CAK http://www.caktanks.co.uk/ or O'Learys http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Find someone to do the gas and electrics,if you dont feel competent and upholstery can be as basic or fancy as you wish.

My first vehicle was built by myself with my late father (retired yatcht builder) doing the difficult bits. Latterly my wife and daughter have reupholstered subsequent vehicles.

A good winter project,just don't try to finish it too quickly. By building it you can make alterations after using it a few times.

aston - 2012-08-06 2:19 PM

So if Autosleeper, Autotrail, Hymer,Pilote, Rapido Hobby and Holdsworth were quality, Which Base vehicles stood the test of time, Would I be correct in asuming Mercedes, VW and Ford would be the better idea over the Pug,Citroen,Renault, Fiat and Talbot variations for longevity and ease of parts? Thanks again

Merc for quality build, Ford for economy build.....plus ease of maintenance and parts availability (any age).

A member on here Dave (pelmetman) has a 1990 Ford Transit Travelhome and is known to take this van to sunnier climates across the channel. The M/H is known to be overloaded if you put a box of Swan Vesta matches in it, and the advantages of running it with no tax or Mot seem to be a bonus. If this is the type of M/H you are looking for aston, I suggest you PM Dave. I don't think its for sale but Dave can give you loads of pointers to run these type of vehicles as cheaply as possible. :-D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-08-06 4:28 PM

A member on here Dave (pelmetman) has a 1990 Ford Transit Travelhome and is known to take this van to sunnier climates across the channel. The M/H is known to be overloaded if you put a box of Swan Vesta matches in it, and the advantages of running it with no tax or Mot seem to be a bonus. If this is the type of M/H you are looking for aston, I suggest you PM Dave. I don't think its for sale but Dave can give you loads of pointers to run these type of vehicles as cheaply as possible. :-D

Dave

I'll have you know I went to the weigh bridge on the way home this weekend..........and I now have 200 kgs spare capacity ;-)......................

with the trailer :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-06 4:37 PM

Dave

I'll have you know I went to the weigh bridge on the way home this weekend..........and I now have 200 kgs spare capacity ;-)......................

How many bottles of Spainish Plonk is that Dave?

Dave

So with Horace pulling a trailer and being fully loaded down to Spain, the gross weight relief on your wallet after you have paid for....extra fuel....extra toll charges (3 axles).....extra ferry charges, should make your post readings very interesting in the future. :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2012-08-06 4:57 PM

How many bottles of Spainish Plonk is that Dave?

1 kgs = 1 litre I believe?.........................so 200 litres if I buy the boxes B-)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-08-06 5:03 PM

Dave

So with Horace pulling a trailer and being fully loaded down to Spain, the gross weight relief on your wallet after you have paid for....extra fuel....extra toll charges (3 axles).....extra ferry charges, should make your post readings very interesting in the future. :D

Dave

Toll roads what are they? :D..............I admit the extra cost of taking the trailer abroad was a bit of a shock 8-)...........but we'll probably leave it at Sue's cousin in Brittany ;-)..............As for extra fuel........its cheaper abroad :D

HI when we were looking for a cheaper older Motorhome we looked at the Le Sharo but considered the owners had an inflated idea of what they were worth.

There was a lot of "plastic" trim used in the one we inspected and it had started to go brittle in places.

In addition to this, you mention the specifications and I suppose when they were new they were considered to be high spec but, if you search the net you will find that the older "luxury" items are breaking down now and, if you can get the spares, are expensive to repair.

The 2.2 engine seems OK but a number of owners stated they wished they had more power and some have done engine replants.

Type Winnebago Le Sharo into your search engine there was plenty of info when we were looking.

I think there was an owners club at one time, it may still be there

Not Knowing what your buget is , or old you think too old is ,but I would be looking around at what makes and Models are still going in the "Age" & "Price range" I was aiming at, and do a bit of searching on here about troubles/complaints about the Model your interested in, I will get some Flax for being Biased on this but my younger Brother has Just bought a 1989 Autotrail Apache on Merc 207D Chassis  with only 57,000 ( Looks genuine) on the clock and apart from a bit of sun fading of the Paintwork and in need of a set of tyres it cant be faulted for the Price of £5,500, seen on e bay  and  price negotiated on test driving and viewing, Merc,s didn't suffer from front bearing fatigue and have chain drive camshafts, which helps with longevity ,So they are out there , Dont rush into buying and do your homework all helps,  Good Luck.

aston - 2012-08-06 2:19 PM

Yes, I had a 23 year old Talbot based Autosleeper talisman, The 'Talbot' bit cab bodywork needed completely replacing due to rust, parts were available as I rebuilt it, but not all, and I had to Trawl Scrapdealers for some bits.

Older Ford cabs rusted too, but body panels are easier to source, VW's didn't rust so badly, (my Daughter still has a VW T4 based Holdsworth Villa which is 19 years old, and no rust) No experience of 'Older ' Mercedes, which a lot of Autotrails were based on. I believe they were called 'Bremens' and considered to be 'Bulletproof' mechanically As has been said before, 'condition is all'. Good hunting. Ray

Funnily enough I have been conversing with Dave and Sue as I really did like the Travelhome and the ease of a Transit Base van, The Marque Autosleeper keeps popping up so I'll take a look, I do like the open van conversion as opposed to the bathroom in the middle making for a narrow passage in the centre. The Hobby 600 has a nice layout and does have the bathroom in the centre however. I may have to look abroad as they seem so much cheaper in France and Germany but of course it's a lot of hassle.

There is an Autosleeper Talisman 2 on ebay which requires work to the cab but natrually they chose not to show any pictures of the rotton/damaged cab.. Any more pointers please... I did think the Hymer A class's looked good value but how easy are parts eg windows and windscreen to get hold of? I am patient and so far have been looking since November 2011 (Most nights) I still have a Devon Moonraker and am still sleeping out a lot but would like something a little larger and hassle free. Thank you

One more thing, out of the more desirable marquees from the late 80's early 90's which are known to be well insulated against the cold/heat (Winterised) ? As I hope to use it a lot all year round, Thank you

The Le Sharo lacks headroom for anyone over 5ft 10.

It later changed base vehicles to the VW T4. It was mainly for the US market and had the petrol V6 and auto box although I saw one recently with the diesel TDi unit and auto box. The owner was well pleased with it. I have seen the VW V6 converted to run on LPG but think a couple of grand for that.

The problem with the Talbot Express and early Ducato is the windscreen drainage is within the screen rubber to drains through the scuttle. Blocked drains leak internally and injections of sealant to attempt a cure block the screen surround as well resulting in corrosion at the base of the screen. Its rare to find a good one. Take a magnet when looking at these, if it does not clamp on the bottom of the screen it shows there is filler indicating attempts at repair. Remember to multiply any rust you can see by a factor of ten once work starts.

VW T4s and Transits can rust in the same area but are not so bad as the Express.

The A class Hymers of the late 80s early 90s were well built and the one on the pre Sprinter MB were near indestructable but often short on payload. Take a look at a 555 for rinstance. Beam axles front and rear, no computer and spares still available.

pelmetman - 2012-08-06 4:37 PM...................I'll have you know I went to the weigh bridge on the way home this weekend..........and I now have 200 kgs spare capacity ;-)......................

Blimey, that's some diet you're on Dave. You going to put the details on Chatterbox? :-D

Guest peter

Dave

Is that because the rear end fell off on the way there?. (lol)

George Collings - 2012-08-06 9:59 PM

It later changed base vehicles to the VW T4. It was mainly for the US market and had the petrol V6 and auto box although I saw one recently with the diesel TDi unit and auto box. The owner was well pleased with it. I have seen the VW V6 converted to run on LPG but think a couple of grand for that.

I think the Winnebago La Sharo was only available on the Renault Traffic base.

The later VW based version was the Winnebago Rialta, but they do seem to still bring good prices.

Archived