Clutch problems. Getting desperate.

nickoff

Hi all. A little while ago whilst driving the motor home (Compass Avantgarde on Peugeot 2.2 hdi, 2005 ) I noticed a squeaking sound that seemed to come from the clutch pedal when changing gears. The noise got worst and also the pedal got harder to depress. Eventually the pedal would stick down and I had to lift it with my toe. There was some slipping in the first 2 gears sometimes. The local mechanic took a look and suggested a stuffed pressure plate. I had a new clutch fitted but once again the pedal would stick when the motor was hot. This time he thought either a new slave cylinder or at worst the shaft that runs into the gearbox, not cheap. We settled for the slave cylinder and although the squeak has disappeared the pedal still sticks down somewhat once the engine is hot. Before I go down the route of an expensive gearbox strip down I was hoping that someone could give me a few pointers, hope? The van has only done about 24,000 miles. Hope to be going on holiday in about 3 weeks so getting somewhat anxious.

Thanks for any input.

Nick.

The symptoms suggest to me that the clutch MASTER cylinder is defective.

A sticking piston or blocked valve will give the symtoms you describe.

This is a general observation and not specific to the Puegeot.

I am surprised the mechanic has not had a good look at the master cylinder.

Try some rapid operation and leg exercise by repeatedly pumping the pedal up and down (engine off out of gear).

H

Here are a couple of guesses based on past experience.

It sounds like either the master cylinder or just it's pushrod or maybe as simple as the clutch pedal pivot seizing.

A good squirt of WD40 on the pedal pivot followed by multiple pedal depressions and release might help unstick it if it is that, but then again it might not?

Disconnect the push rod at the pedal and see if the pedal goes up and down unimpeded - if it does it's the master cylinder (or it's pushrod maybe catching on the bulkhead or some displaced sound deadening material?) and if it does not it's the pedal.

I thing the first thing I would do is take it back to whom ever did the job, if you informed him of the symptoms it would be up to him to diagnose correctly and solve the problem, if the original problem is still evident then the Original diagnosis must have been incorrect, trial and error Machanic become really expensive.

I agree with Tracker.

The Boxer and its relations have long suffered from rain getting into the engine compartment and it may be that components in the clutch release mechanism have corroded and are causing friction.

I have had no dealing with the 2.2 but from what I can see from internet pics the release mechanism is pretty conventional with the slave cylinder working a cross shaft and lever onto release the bearing that slides along a sleeve coecenteric with the gearbox input shaft. Rust or a build up of gunge particularly on the sleeve might be the troubel.

Bearing in mind the recent wet weather try this, its cheap.

Rather than shoving the pedal down to the floor try stopping just short of the sticking point. With a bit of luck you will gradually loosen things up and eventually be able to go to the floor without problems.. The mechanic fitting the clutch should have checked this but all the exercise will strengthen your leg ready to kick his ass if it works.

Archived